TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Jan-2017, 2:47 PM   #1
mikebuild

Which signal booster?

Hey all,

Two neighbors of mine are using the Winegard 7698 antenna's. One is using a 20db booster and the other is using a 30db booster. Both get really good reception. If I went with this antenna, how would I go about sizing the signal booster properly?

Thanks, Mike.
mikebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2017, 3:36 PM   #2
WIRELESS ENGINEER

Unless you are in a extreme fringe area, 30 db gain preamps should be avoided.

Generally, lower gain preamps also have more resistance to overload.

With the massive amount of interference sources around these days, I first try to operate without a preamp first.

Preamps can't bring in signals that aren't there to begin with.

Their only purpose is to compensate for coax and splitter losses.

So keep your coax from the antenna as short as possible and you many times don't need a preamp
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2017, 3:48 PM   #3
mikebuild

Thanks W.E.,

"So keep your coax from the antenna as short as possible and you many times don't need a preamp "

That makes sense. I was planning on running new coax from the antenna to the tv, so as to provide the shortest run possible, with no splitters.

Is one coax better than another?
Old 15-Jan-2017, 4:44 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

A starting point would be to post a link to your TV Fool report so we can see what sort of signal levels you are dealing with, Not everyone will need an amplifier...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2017, 2:11 AM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Your previous thread:
Reception better from my RV antenna ... ?
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16169

your report from that thread:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf44e4451727

Is it still good?
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2017, 4:17 AM   #6
mikebuild

Yes, that report is still current.
Old 16-Jan-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Totally off topic... My first memories in life are at Lisabeula, right across the water from Olalla. Back when the dock and some of the beach buildings were still there. Time flies whether we're having fun or not.

Based on what I see on your report, I'd suggest the Antennas Direct 'Juice' pre-amplifier. It's got plenty of gain (19 dB UHF), more than enough to overcome all your cable loss and still allow you to add a multi port splitter if you ever choose to. It's also going to beat most if not all the other competing product for noise performance and resistance to overloading.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SVV2O6S...ing=UTF8&psc=1

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
mikebuild

So I just now am installing the 7698. Have it on the roof, have not aimed it exactly yet and am getting same channels as with my RV winegard antenna that I was using temporarily ( a good sign I suppose ).

I am going to get the coax run from the 7698, as short as possible, with new RG6, then aim the antenna as best I can.

Couple questions:

1) does the antenna to ground cable/wire have any effect upon antenna performance?

2) What size ground wire do you use for the antenna?

3) How is it that my RV antenna, initially found 18 channels, but has never since been able to find more than 13 channels upon subsequent searches?

4) What indicates the need of a signal booster? (poor reception on a channel?)

Thanks again, Mike.
Old 25-Jan-2017, 7:26 PM   #9
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
1) does the antenna to ground cable/wire have any effect upon antenna performance?
The NEC requires two ground wires, one for the mast and one for the coax shield. The ground for the mast is not likely to affect antenna performance. The ground for the coax shield can improve reception if you have an interference problem, and it can protect you from a leakage current shock because the antenna is connected to AC operated equipment.

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge which will tend to discourage a strike, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Quote:
2) What size ground wire do you use for the antenna?
10 gauge copper

Quote:
3) How is it that my RV antenna, initially found 18 channels, but has never since been able to find more than 13 channels upon subsequent searches?
Possible answers:

1. The RV antenna isn't performing as well now
2. Atmospheric conditions were more favorable then, like tropospheric propagation
3. Objects are now in the signal path that were not previously, like trees or buildings

Quote:
4) What indicates the need of a signal booster? (poor reception on a channel?)
A booster can often improve the reception of a weak channel, but it might be overloaded if you also have a very strong local channel. Each case requires an analysis of the channels involved.

Last edited by rabbit73; 25-Jan-2017 at 7:39 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jan-2017, 8:03 PM   #10
mikebuild

Thanks R73