TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Mar-2020, 5:59 PM   #21
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olnick View Post
Tower Guy mentioned lowering the antenna to find the "sweet spot" what is the distance between the layers? Am I looking at 6 inches or 3 feet to find the "sweet" spot? It might be easier to go up 6-8 inches with a re location of my chimney mounts rather than going down 20-25 inches!

Thanks

Olnick
The vertical distance from peak signal to null on channel 31 is calculated as 20.5 inches.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Mar-2020, 10:34 PM   #22
olnick

Just got off the roof again! Today was an 8-10 times on the damn roof. Its been a busy week. got a new RCA tvpreamp to replace the unit now in place. I ended up with a Tvpreamp1R from Lowe's It was advertised as a Tvpreamp12E. so much for advertising!! The first thing I did was to check the P/S inserter. not good only had 9.01 VDC coming out. My old unit that works excellent in the cold weather provided 9.50 VDC. So either way I figure I have a good power inserter. I go to the trouble of replacing the amp yeah up on the roof and plugin the new power inserter then NOTHING I had better reception without any amp!! I replaced the new power inserter with my old one still Nothing. Just about ready to say@!#$#@%$ and deal with the cable man when I decide to open up my old temp sensitive Tvpreamp to check it out. What I found was the two "F" connectors one for the power/out and the combined input were both broken on all four grounding legs onto the P/C board?????? I just happen to have replacements in my stock/junk pile. so I replaced both "F" connectors and re-installed the amp back up onto the antenna mount/mast. (I needed to remove the new DOA amp to return for a refund anyway). The first re scan with the old power inserter and my repaired preamp gave me 13 channels 31 total digital!(still missing Ch 31 fox 25) To make it better I adjusted the direction to closer to 162 deg mag. Now I have 10 channels 26 total digital. So to improve on this I check the direction and lower the antenna to the original height of the first reading 8 inches lowered from max. now I get 9 channels 21 total digital. The first reading was at 2 PM the second at 2:30 and the third at 3 PM. Its now Long Trail double bag time........ Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?????? The cable man is looking better and better!!! Sad To say..

Thanks Olnick
olnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-2020, 1:51 PM   #23
rickbb

It does not look good for that channel. You are in a RF shadow behind a hill from the tower and the effective power at your location is less than 100kw.

Sorry.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Mar-2020, 1:46 PM   #24
olnick

Its cold out again this AM 18 deg. All my channels are back again??????????????? What am I missing???? there has to be a simple explanation for this happening with cold temperatures! I have done NOTHING else since my last posting just cold weather!

OlNick
Old 23-Mar-2020, 1:30 PM   #25
rickbb

If everything has been ruled out other than temp changes, then it has to be a expansion/contraction issue of something in the system.

I can't think of anything else that would explain it.

Unless it's an atmosphere thing, colder denser air vs. warm less dense air, or visa/versa blocking or not blocking signals. But that's really just a WAG. (Wild A__ Guess).
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Mar-2020, 1:30 PM   #26
Tower Guy

Things that could cause better reception in cold weather:

Water in the coax.
Temperature sensitive preamp.
Propagation changes due to atmospheric conditions.
Dry leaves.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Mar-2020, 3:21 PM   #27
olnick

Well one last shot at it!! I'm waiting for the new preamp to be delivered, then some better weather, new coax is all set and ready to install as well. I'll post my results good/bad or in different.. Right now there are NO leaves on the trees!

OlNick
Old 22-Nov-2020, 8:59 PM   #28
olnick

Back in march when the "virus" kicked in all my projects stopped! However now that its November and getting cold again I am once again back to my attempt at OTA reception. My new preamp (Juice)is now 7 months old and finally got installed! I replaced the coax with solid copper center conductor Quad shield! After the initial install I had 6 channels in my first scan. This AM temp in the 20's the scan produced 16 channels I then added in the "juce" preamp and now I get 21 on a scan?? my supposed hot spot is at 162 deg mag. I can swing the antenna 15 deg either side of 162deg. and get the same 21 scanned channels. No change in viewability within the 30 deg swing??? I'm still not happy with the reception. any suggestions???
Thanks

Olnick
Old 25-Nov-2020, 12:46 PM   #29
olnick

Up date: Today 11/25/2020 I did a rescan and now get 36 digital channels?? No its not cold out 28Deg. It is cloudy though Still no Ch 34 (fox 25) however I can live without it at this point! would just like to keep the current line up I now get!

Olnick
Old 21-Jan-2021, 12:26 PM   #30
olnick

Finally CUT THE CORD!!!!!!

Thanks to all who have provided help support and direction in my persuit to get fox 25 out of Boston. I continue to get 25 to 30 OTA ch.s . I now have streaming that provides Fox 25! Dumping direct tv and other network changes provies a savings of $85.00 per month!!!!

Olnick