TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 14-Aug-2016, 7:32 PM   #1
Yaguy

General Electric Pro Yagi Antenna

Has anyone tried this antenna:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Pro-Out...tenna/52162885

It doesn't list gain figures. I'm looking at replacing an old Antennacraft VU160-XR combination VHF/FM/UHF log periodic antenna.
Yaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You're comparing an antenna that's less than 3' long with one that's almost 12' in length that covers all three frequency bands...

It's a small high-VHF/UHF combo generally suitable for urban and suburban locations where reception isn't complicated.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 15-Aug-2016 at 12:37 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2016, 5:13 PM   #3
Yaguy

GE Pro Outdoor Yagi

Hi AD

I wasn't comparing them. I know my gain figures for my old antenna. Was curious about that small antenna- had never seen it or read anything about it. I have heard good things about the small RCA ANT751 and it's similar EZ-HD antenna. I'm only 10 miles from my local transmitters on Mount Seymour, BC. Bellingham is 48 miles away, and Seattle is 120 miles south. I could probably do with 2 smaller antennas: one aimed to Mt. Seymour and one aimed towards Bellingham.
-- Personally, I don't lean towards antennas that are not made by the big four. I guess it's the big three, now that AntennaCraft is out of business. I would guess the best the GE Pro outdoor yagi might get would be 4.5 to 5.0 dbd UHF, and maybe 3.0 dbd VHF high.
How durable it is.... that's another question.

Last edited by Yaguy; 19-Aug-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 15-Aug-2016, 6:54 PM   #4
Nascarken
Banned

Good day Yaguy by STELLAR LABS antenna kit#30-2485by,MCMELECTRONICS,COM, that is uhf,VHF it comes with 50Ft of RG6,with a J,Pole it's only $25,try the tv fool report with this antenna,and how high the antenna will be at,I experimented with one it seemed to work good
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2016, 7:07 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I would guess the best the GE Pro outdoor yagi might get would be 4.5 to 5.0 dbd UHF, and maybe 3.0 dbd VHF high.
My guess would be in that same ballpark, probably similar to the small RCA and the small Channel Master. I just ran one, along with a number of other small antennas, through my back yard test range last week but I haven't started to analyze the data yet.

Mine got left out in the rain all weekend, I suspect I'll find out if anything happened when I go to put stuff away once it stops raining.

As I recall, all of Vancouver's stations are UHF, are they not?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2016, 7:19 PM   #6
Nascarken
Banned

A DTECH I would have to say it's the same size as the RCA THE SAME DB GAIN FOR WHAT IT IS $ 40 dollars virsis the stellar Labs ANTENNA kit for $25Dollars and has the same DB gain,
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2016, 9:27 PM   #7
Yaguy

GE Pro Yagi

Thanks everyone

Yes, all the Vancouver stations are UHF. For me, my local stations could probably come in with a piece of hay wire. With the big frequency auction in the US, according to Industry Canada, they will not make any stations here switch from UHF to VHF, or vice versa. I was planning on waiting a bit to see if any of the Bellingham stations might be reassigned to VHF. I believe UHF 37 will be the new top end of the OTA broadcast spectrum, so eventually up here a few channels will have to be reassigned to lower UHF frequencies. Apart from having two smaller antennas replace mine with a rotor, it might be overkill, but I think a db8e could be adjusted to both transmitter azimuths.