TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-May-2012, 9:55 PM   #1
johncros

Seeking Guidance for Antenna in Mableton GA

Hi guys...
I would appreciate some help with selecting an outdoor antenna and setup. My location is shown in suburn (Mableton) on the west side of ATL. See http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...073b9dda4dc3b8. I am new to all this. I am doing so I am open to suggestions about location, methods, or gotcha's to avoid.
Right now, I have a set-top TERK HDTVa in the master bedroom upstairs and an inexpensive RCA HM1832 omnidirectional in a family room downstairs. Sometimes, we currently loose the signal from WXIA (11.1/10) WGCL and (46.1/19). The TV and Terk upstairs do not seem to ever be able to bring in WGTV (8.1/8) no matter where we point it even though all three sub-channels are sometimes (not always) crystal clear downstairs. WPBA (30.1/21) is usually clear upstairs but frequently not available downstairs.

I am looking at running coax and installing an outdoor antenna to some blocking behind the facia at the peak of the roof-line on the east side of the house. All of the roof across the top 2/3s of the roof-line follows a cathedral ceiling that attaches directly to the rafters. There is not attic so I am thinking it would be better to avoid roof penetrations that I would have trouble securing on the inside.
1) After 25 years in the home, I have a company that is going to be taking all of the siding, soffet, and fascia off to install hardiplank. My current plan is to ask them to install blocking behind the fascia at the peak of the roof and one of their hardie utility mounts for the antenna. There are a few large windows at the top of the wall and I would like to get the Antenna above those windows and the actual elements above the roofline.
I have not seen anything mounted that way? Is is reasonable? The base would be approx 35' above ground level and 25' above the floor of the 2nd level. If instead, I run a mast up from the ground (35') and mount the antenna on the mast, I am assuming I should plant the mast in concrete in the ground. I can secure it to the side of the house with some type of stand-off supports. For a 35-40 mast, do you guys have any suggestions about how deep I should dig the hole? Any suggestions about what materials to use?
2) The diagram seems to show the stations of interest in an arc of azimuth of 96-122 degrees from true north (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...073b9dda4dc3b8).
We would like to be able to reliably watch:
WGCL (46.1/19), WPCH (17.1/20), WAGA (5.1/27) WUPA (43/69.1), WATL (36.1/25), WXIA (11.1/10), WSB (2.1/39), WANN (32.1/29), WGTV (8.1/8), WPBA (30.1/21)
They would be gravy but we are not really that interested in the outliers WPXA (14.1/51 @354), WATC (57.1/41@23 or have much interest in W45dx, wdta, wtch, or wire, wyga, etc.
Any suggestions about the best type or particular antenna to use?

3) I will have about an 80-85' cable run to go from the antenna to the interior wall in the garage from which I plan to distribute the signal. Do you think that will require a pre-amp on the antenna? I am planning to use RG6. Any suggestions?

FYI - I will actually eventually have three downline feeds, the family room, master bedroom and then the guest room. The master bedroom, and family room will be <30'. The cable run to the family room will be closer to 50'.

Thanks in advance for you guys' advice.
John
johncros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-May-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Electron

ALL Questions and Information - Broadcast Tv Reception and More

This recommendation is based on tvfool radar plot of Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital Tv Channels.

The ANT751 is not a very directional antenna and that is good for your reception situation.

Install a ANT751 antenna above the roof aimed at about 354 degrees magnetic compass reading. ION Television WPXA is the weak channel at 354 degree magnetic compass reading.
The ANT751 does have some forward gain for better reception of ION if aimed at ION.

And the ANT751 will also receive the Strong Stations at about 110 degree through the back angle of ANT751 when aimed at ION.

You can also aim the ANT751 at about 110 degree (the strong stations) and I suspect that ION will still be received.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Your reception location has Strong signal strength WGCL-DT 19 CBS and Weak signal strength WPXA-DT 51 ION , If I understand correctly about where you will like to mount the antenna this complicates the matter of the amplifier and the coax wiring and the ground wire from the antenna.

In and of it's self , having the antenna on the outside of the house where there is a vaulted ceiling is 100% Ok.

Read on.

In my mind I see a single level Long house with the garage on one end and vault roof on the other end.

Before I recommend a amplifier. I will like to be clear about where you are saying you will , like to mount the Tv antenna. You are saying that you will like to mount the antenna on the outside of the house above the roof (thats the best place) , however you say you will like to mount the antenna on the outside where there is vaulted ceiling and the longest distance possible from where the coax goes into the house and the longest distance possible from where there is any easy to get to electric power. Correct?? , and if so , Why?? , is it because of trees that will be blocking reception if the antenna is at another location?? Why??

Last edited by Electron; 27-May-2012 at 5:33 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-May-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Electron

ALL Questions and Information - Broadcast Tv Reception and More

Where is electric service and electric service ground rod for house located , on the garage side of the house or on the vaulted ceiling side of the house??

In my mind I see , no attic to run the coax and ground wire through , so the coax and the ground wire from the antenna will be wrapped -> all the way around <- from the -> opposite <- outside of the house to get to where the coax goes into the house. In my mind I also see electric power and ground rod on the garage side of the house. So the antenna is on one end and everything else that has to do with the antenna on the other end.
If this is the way it has to be well thats the way it has to be. Would not be my first choice. May be my minds eye is not seeing the situation correctly.

Send me a PM Private Message of your exact address and I can be a lot more help. Where is electric service and service ground located at the house??

Last edited by Electron; 27-May-2012 at 7:53 AM.
Old 27-May-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

I suspect you may be surrounded by trees. If so, what type and how tall?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-May-2012, 3:38 AM   #5
johncros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
This recommendation is based on tvfool radar plot of Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital Tv Channels.

The ANT751 is not a very directional antenna and that is good for your reception situation.

Install a ANT751 antenna above the roof aimed at about 354 degrees magnetic compass reading. ION Television WPXA is the weak channel at 354 degree magnetic compass reading.
The ANT751 does have some forward gain for better reception of ION if aimed at ION.

And the ANT751 will also receive the Strong Stations at about 110 degree through the back angle of ANT751 when aimed at ION.

You can also aim the ANT751 at about 110 degree (the strong stations) and I suspect that ION will still be received.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Your reception location has Strong signal strength WGCL-DT 19 CBS and Weak signal strength WPXA-DT 51 ION , If I understand correctly about where you will like to mount the antenna this complicates the matter of the amplifier and the coax wiring and the ground wire from the antenna.

In and of it's self , having the antenna on the outside of the house where there is a vaulted ceiling is 100% Ok.

Read on.

In my mind I see a single level Long house with the garage on one end and vault roof on the other end.

Before I recommend a amplifier. I will like to be clear about where you are saying you will , like to mount the Tv antenna. You are saying that you will like to mount the antenna on the outside of the house above the roof (thats the best place) , however you say you will like to mount the antenna on the outside where there is vaulted ceiling and the longest distance possible from where the coax goes into the house and the longest distance possible from where there is any easy to get to electric power. Correct?? , and if so , Why?? , is it because of trees that will be blocking reception if the antenna is at another location?? Why??
The house is a contemporary split level with the mb and 2 other bedrooms over the garage on the NE side. The vaulted ceiling begins at the drip edge on the SW side of the house (kitchen. dining room, living room side) and then continues up and down again above the mb at the back of the 2nd story on the other (NE) side of the split level. The ridge of the roof runs NW (front) to SE (back) in the middle. Inlaw suite/guest br is on the lower level behind/beside the garage. Because I can get to the mb by drilling up into the wall above (from the garage), the family room via the crawl space under the split level, and the guest room (adjacent wall) the garage seems like a likely distribution point.
Re power / grounding:
From what I have seen, it looks like pre-amps (if needed) are powered by injecting DC on the coax from the distribution center. I have 110ac in the garage. Grounding could be a significant run if I need to keep it outside the house. It would not be possible to install an antenna on the SW corner where the service enters the house and the ground stake so located. Would it be better to establish a 2nd ground stake (shorter path for lightning) and connect them together to avoid a ground differential current loop%3F %0D%0A%0D%0Are ION%3A I live at the bottom on a hill at the end of a culldesac. To the north, west, and south, my roof is substantially below the crest of nearby hills. East is toward the city and the almost all of the towers. Looking at ION%27s program schedule, they basically seems to show old episodes of the same shows. At least on their local affiliate, their whole week is little more than hour long infomercials (92), Criminal Minds (24 episodes), flashpoint (13), Cold case (11) psych (9), etc. Just not interesting to me.
Re location:
On the south side of the house (where the electrical service enters SW) there is a great deal of tree cover. The largest specimens are Tulip Populars one of which is 10-12 feet around at the base and very tall. The property backs up against a park with lots of foliage. There are a couple of medium size oaks on the north with a substantial hill that is quite a bit higher than the house. The back roof peak is the highest point and also the least susceptible to trees and foliage.
Another possiblitiy would be on the eve at the east edge of the roof. It would be about 10' lower but could still shoot SE. Antthing to the S would be obstructed by the roof. The compass points I mention are more an approximation. The orientation of the roof ridge is more NW (front) to SE (back).
johncros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-May-2012, 4:34 AM   #6
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncros View Post
... Would it be better to establish a 2nd ground stake (shorter path for lightning) and connect them together to avoid a ground differential current loop...
This would not avoid a ground loop; it would create one.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-May-2012, 6:14 AM   #7
Electron

ALL Questions and Answers and Information - Broadcast Tv Reception and More

The tvfool radar plot report looks good , the picture you paint of the reception situation is not good.

I recommend upgrade antenna to a Winegard HD7696P antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp aimed at about 110 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Here are some antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html , http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.antennasdirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.
Old 28-May-2012, 6:20 AM   #8
Electron

ALL Questions and Answers and Information - Broadcast Tv Reception and More

The Tv/s Must scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv signals travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Do Not scan for cable Tv channels.