TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Nov-2015, 2:51 PM   #21
hsparks56

My Antenna

Here is a picture of my antenna(s) mounting, cable from preamplifier is temporary until I figure out the reception problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyAntenna_01.JPG (37.6 KB, 564 views)
hsparks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Nov-2015, 4:26 PM   #22
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Do a quick check to see if preamp power is getting to the amplifier module. Use your multimeter AT THE AMPLIFIER's signal out/power in connector to check for the +15 VDC from the indoor supply. Simply disconnect the coax lead from the amp and measure between the shield and the center conductor of the coax. Anything between 12 and 18 volts is expected.

If that passes, we've at least eliminated power to the preamp as a cause. You can then do the troubleshooting one of two ways: Either break it down to individual sub-components and verify each, then integrate one step at a time retesting at each or you remove or bypass a single component at a time and see when it starts to work.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Nov-2015, 8:49 PM   #23
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Go back to testing each antenna alone, and insert the UHF/VHF combiner to check it for each band.

Last edited by rabbit73; 22-Nov-2015 at 2:11 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Nov-2015, 9:16 PM   #24
hsparks56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Do a quick check to see if preamp power is getting to the amplifier module. Use your multimeter AT THE AMPLIFIER's signal out/power in connector to check for the +15 VDC from the indoor supply. Simply disconnect the coax lead from the amp and measure between the shield and the center conductor of the coax. Anything between 12 and 18 volts is expected.

If that passes, we've at least eliminated power to the preamp as a cause. You can then do the troubleshooting one of two ways: Either break it down to individual sub-components and verify each, then integrate one step at a time retesting at each or you remove or bypass a single component at a time and see when it starts to work.
It appears my channel master 7777 quit working? If my cable wires cross from my preamp will this do?
Old 23-Nov-2015, 12:24 AM   #25
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Simply disconnect the coax lead from the amp and measure between the shield and the center conductor of the coax. Anything between 12 and 18 volts is expected.
That is a little tricky to do with the end of the coax coming up from the power inserter that connects to the preamp. You have to connect one voltmeter probe to the coax shield and touch the other probe to the center conductor without shorting it to the shield. I sometimes insert the cable connector into an F81 adapter and insert a short length of 18 gauge bare copper wire into the other end of the F81. The 18 gauge wire is the same size as the center conductor of the RG6 coax. The attachments show me checking the voltage at the lower end of the coax when the preamp (old model 7777) is powered.

Do you have the new model 7777 with only one antenna input?

Troubleshooting the new 7777:
http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...ing-correctly-

http://downloads.channelmaster.com/S...77_7778_UG.pdf

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...7&d=1436753605

Quote:
It appears my channel master 7777 quit working?
What makes you think it is bad?
Quote:
If my cable wires cross from my preamp will this do?
Please explain what you mean by that.

Can you receive anything on either antenna without the 7777?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F81snip.JPG (69.9 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg 0747test2a_1.jpg (98.7 KB, 555 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 23-Nov-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 27-Nov-2015, 12:27 PM   #26
hsparks56

Combiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
That is a little tricky to do with the end of the coax coming up from the power inserter that connects to the preamp. You have to connect one voltmeter probe to the coax shield and touch the other probe to the center conductor without shorting it to the shield. I sometimes insert the cable connector into an F81 adapter and insert a short length of 18 gauge bare copper wire into the other end of the F81. The 18 gauge wire is the same size as the center conductor of the RG6 coax. The attachments show me checking the voltage at the lower end of the coax when the preamp (old model 7777) is powered.

Do you have the new model 7777 with only one antenna input?

Troubleshooting the new 7777:
http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...ing-correctly-

http://downloads.channelmaster.com/S...77_7778_UG.pdf

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...7&d=1436753605

What makes you think it is bad?
Please explain what you mean by that.

Can you receive anything on either antenna without the 7777?
Should the switch for UHF be on or off on my combiner it says; Switchable DC passthrough is provided from output to UHF input, allowing a remotely powered signal amplifier to be used with the UHF antenna?

What I meant on the coaxial cables crossing over is going into the house the same cable crosses it self in places.

Going to take down antenna today and check connections and test.
Old 27-Nov-2015, 3:33 PM   #27
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

I haven't used that combiner, but as near as I can tell the switch should be off if a preamp is used after the combiner. If you made a test with the switch on with no preamp but the power inserter on and powered, there is a chance that you have damaged the combiner or inserter or both.

Quote:
What I meant on the coaxial cables crossing over is going into the house the same cable crosses it self in places.
I still don't understand; I would need to see a diagram of what is connected to what.
Old 27-Nov-2015, 5:08 PM   #28
hsparks56

Quote:
I haven't used that combiner, but as near as I can tell the switch should be off if a preamp is used after the combiner. If you made a test with the switch on with no preamp but the power inserter on and powered, there is a chance that you have damaged the combiner or inserter or both.

I still don't understand; I would need to see a diagram of what is connected to what.
Thanks rabbit73, I check out all connections, combiner, preamp, etc. everything was good, it turn out to be my new db8e antenna, I had some second thoughts when I received it with the box partly open and taped??? I put my old UHF antenna up in place of it and everything worked. I am returning it for a replacement. Thanks again. Will see what the new one does when it comes in.
Old 27-Nov-2015, 5:15 PM   #29
ADTech

May I ask where you purchased a DB8e that was received in that condition?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 27-Nov-2015, 6:17 PM   #30
hsparks56

Quote:
May I ask where you purchased a DB8e that was received in that condition?
ADTech, It was from Amazon, I am returning it for another one, hopefully this one with be good. I read good reviews here and recommendation for the DB8e, will keep trying.
Old 27-Nov-2015, 6:46 PM   #31
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Sorry to hear you got a lemon, but glad that you found the problem.

Good detective work, hsparks56!

I have heard stories about returns being resold on Amazon. There is more than one listing for DB8e antennas on Amazon. Some say "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." and others say "Ships from and sold by Techibble." or "Ships from and sold by UnbeatableSale, Inc." I would think the "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." listing would be more reliable.

I also see they are selling the older DB8 (no e) for less than the DB8e, and some clones like the FOCUS-8HD-90D, Xtreme Signal HDB8X-NI 8-Bay, and Dual Quad Bay Outdoor by Stellar Labs,

Which listing did you use?

Antennas don't ship well; the cartons seem inadequate. About half the antennas I have ordered have arrived with some damage.

Last edited by rabbit73; 27-Nov-2015 at 7:04 PM.
Old 27-Nov-2015, 9:13 PM   #32
ADTech

Quote:
I would think the "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." listing would be more reliable.
Absolutely. We've had a number of Amazon Marketplace sellers offering "recycled" merchandise as new over the years....

Old 5-Dec-2015, 4:59 PM   #33
hsparks56

Not a happy camper

Quote:
Absolutely. We've had a number of Amazon Marketplace sellers offering "recycled" merchandise as new over the years....
Have my new DB8e up, tried it before I put it up got channels in my upstairs bedroom. Installed back on mast, no channels anywhere I point it. Hooked it up alone with amplifier still no channels??? What is going on this makes no sense. My old UHF antenna works in the same location on the mast, not impressed by this antenna at all!!
Old 5-Dec-2015, 6:07 PM   #34
ADTech

For troubleshooting purposes, run a temporary dedicated coaxial cable directly from the antenna's combiner unit to the nearest TV set. There's something going on here in your installation that isn't immediately evident and it is going to be necessary to break down the system to its individual components in order to understand what is going on.

That means: No amplifier, no external combiner, both panels aligned in a single direction at a time. Test reception. If you have stations in another direction, re-aim the antenna and retest individually. We have to learn what is and is not working.

Last edited by ADTech; 5-Dec-2015 at 6:10 PM.
Old 6-Dec-2015, 3:04 PM   #35
hsparks56

Quote:
For troubleshooting purposes, run a temporary dedicated coaxial cable directly from the antenna's combiner unit to the nearest TV set. There's something going on here in your installation that isn't immediately evident and it is going to be necessary to break down the system to its individual components in order to understand what is going on.

That means: No amplifier, no external combiner, both panels aligned in a single direction at a time. Test reception. If you have stations in another direction, re-aim the antenna and retest individually. We have to learn what is and is not working.
I have already eliminated everything stated above, I am only hooked into the DB8e directly with no amplifier, external combiner, etc. The only thing I haven't done is aligned the two panels in a single direction, but this defeats my purpose of buying the antenna to use in two directions? Not trying to sound negative just discouraged.

Thanks ADTech
Old 6-Dec-2015, 3:43 PM   #36
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
The only thing I haven't done is aligned the two panels in a single direction, but this defeats my purpose of buying the antenna to use in two directions?
Understood, but that is an important part of the test. It eliminates that possibility.

Without aiming both panels in the same direction, you don't really know if that is the cause of the problem or it is something else.

At this point all you know is that one antenna works and the other doesn't, but you still don't know why.
Old 6-Dec-2015, 8:45 PM   #37
hsparks56

Quote:
Understood, but that is an important part of the test. It eliminates that possibility.

Without aiming both panels in the same direction, you don't really know if that is the cause of the problem or it is something else.

At this point all you know is that one antenna works and the other doesn't, but you still don't know why.
Found problem, it was a bad coaxial cable, seems like it worked when it wanted too. I did try aiming both panels in same direction works good and I think I'm going to keep them this way even though it works with them in different directions. The pictures are amazing!! What a difference from Cable. I am going with a rotor which ones would you recommend?

Thanks AD Tech, rabbit73!!!!
Old 6-Dec-2015, 8:54 PM   #38
ADTech

Glad to hear you found the issue (and that it wasn't the antenna after all).

Old 8-Dec-2015, 1:19 AM   #39
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsparks56 View Post
Found problem, it was a bad coaxial cable, seems like it worked when it wanted too. I did try aiming both panels in same direction works good and I think I'm going to keep them this way even though it works with them in different directions. The pictures are amazing!! What a difference from Cable. I am going with a rotor which ones would you recommend?

Thanks AD Tech, rabbit73!!!!
If it works good with the panels pointing in different directions, I don't understand why you would want to go to a rotor. For TV antennas, rotors are a pain the the a.., I mean rear...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2015, 10:52 AM   #40
hsparks56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
If it works good with the panels pointing in different directions, I don't understand why you would want to go to a rotor. For TV antennas, rotors are a pain the the a.., I mean rear...
Tim, re-think the situation and read about the pros & cons of a rotor, I'm staying with just my 2 antennas.