TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Oct-2012, 6:37 PM   #1
pwm14094

Lightbulb Lockport, NY need some help

Here's my location info:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df91a3a1323ba

Is there a way I can get good reception from the transmitters in various directions without a rotor? We have a large family and five televisions. Often, multiple TVs are being watched at the same time (different channels). It seems that the omnidirectional antennas may not be strong enough? What about two (or more) directional antennas facing different directions? We currently have "lifeline" or "broadcast-tier" service from the local cable operator. It costs about $18.00/month. Trying to see how much it will cost for an antenna setup to replace this service and how many months it will take to break even. The five televisions each are each fed with home-runs of RG6 to one distribution block in the basement. There is no amplifier for the cable signal and all of the televisions look fine.

Thank you for your help.
pwm14094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
teleview

Many , Many , Many , Many , Many , Many , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels will be received.

Above the roof install a , ANT751 antenna aimed at about 266 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

http://www.solidsignal.com , has the ANT751 with a J type antenna mount , low dollars.

A coax from the antenna to the location of the home runs in the basement.

Install a Channel Master CM3418 distribution amplifier at the location of the home runs in the basement.

Connect the coax from the antenna to the input of the CM3418 distribution amplifier.

Install 75 ohm terminators on the unused output ports of the CM3418 distribution amplifier.

Here are examples of 75 ohm terminators , http://www.amazon.com/Type-75-Ohm-Te.../dp/B000AAN76Y.

As always trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best to install the ANT 751 antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions in the directions of reception , north west , west , south west , south , south east.

The Tv/s Must Channel scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Stations channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv set up menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.
Old 21-Oct-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
signals unlimited

Actually, with the signal strengths at your location, the directions, and the absense of co-channel/ajacent channel interferrence, you may do fairly well with a good omni-directional antenna.

You could easily install a Winegard amplified MS-2000 omni-directional antenna to test the water. Connect one set and scan for Digital channels. If your reception is exceptable, run the amplified signal to your distribution point.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 21-Oct-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Spelling.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
pwm14094

The antenna you mentioned

So this Winegard MS-2000 would be the strongest omnidirectional antenna available? If I'm going to attach a pole to the peak of my brick house and install an antenna, I want to be pretty secure that it will work well. I know that there are no guarantees, but really want to do it right... Once.

Please gave any additional input you may have.

(Or anyone else on here as well)

-Pete
pwm14094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
signals unlimited

As per my reply, I would try it first on one set, loosly attached before you do a final installation.

Also I have an omni-directional antenna on my web site, www.tripleplayantenna.com. I would be glad to send it to you to try before you purchase. If that works, just install it above the roof and use the Channel Master 3418 distribution amplifier.

I feel that at your location, an omni-directional antenna is your best choice for a non-rotating antenna system.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 22-Oct-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: amplifier change
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2012, 4:19 PM   #6
teleview

I am an unpaid Volunteer here at tvfool.

I do not work for nor do I own a antenna manufacturing business or any related type or kind of business.

I am retired now having worked in Tv transmission (Tv stations) and reception (every where) for Many years.

My Only Agenda is to provide the Very Best Information so that the most amount of Tv stations can be received with the least amount of hassle.

Last edited by teleview; 22-Oct-2012 at 9:59 PM.