TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Sep-2014, 3:33 AM   #1
radioman

Antenna Recomendation in Central NC

Hey everyone. First time post here. I just cut the cord and cancelled my uverse account and started using an antenna to receive the local over the air stations. I bought a Mohu Leaf and an amplifier a couple of months ago and had been tested it sparingly but hadn't used it for long periods until now.

The Mohu Leaf antenna is mounted behind my TV on the wall near the ceiling, which is about 10 ft off the ground. I have a PCT-MA2-2P amplifier inline between the antenna and the TV. I can receive most of the green channels and most of the time the picture quality is excellent but there are times when I am getting picture freezing and breaking up interference. I do have a few trees out in the yard.

I have been looking into an outside antenna mounted on my roof about 25 ft off of the ground but will this improve my signal performance? The main stations I would like to pick up are the stations between 215 degrees and 226 degrees as well as the NBC affiliate at 306 degrees. The 2 stations at 7 degrees would be an added bonus but not necessary. What type of antenna would work best for me. Here is my signal report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24366de7665fa
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2014, 1:54 PM   #2
tomfoolery

While you're waiting for the pros to respond, I'll give you my two cents (just an enthusiast). You've got all UHF, in groups almost at cardinal points - shifted a bit, but three of the four groups are just about 90 degrees apart. I don't know how well it would work, but a DB8e with the reflectors removed with one panel aimed halfway between magnetic 235 and 15 (around 35 deg) and the other halfway between mag. 114 and 314 (mag. 304) might be enough to get all the stronger stations. If you don't care about the ones to the E-SE, you could leave the reflector on that one and aim it at NBC (real 14) at 314 magnetic for stronger reception in that direction. The PBS station on real 25 might come in through the back anyway. But the DB8e gives a lot of flexibility, which is something rather unique. And it's tuned to the current UHF band which now tops out at real 51 (52-69 are gone, and 70-83 are long gone).
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
radioman

All of the stations to the east are in the Raleigh market and would be just duplicates of those in my market. Real channel 32 is the local PBS station and it is in the same direction as real channel 31, the local NBC affiliate at 314 magnetic. Most of the stations to the North are in the Roanoke market except for real channel 47 an 14. The biggest group of local stations are southwest around 230 to 235 magnetic.

So for me the stations at 230 to 235 magnetic and the 2 at 306 are my primary stations to receive with the 2 at 7 magnetic being secondary. All others are not that important but if I pick up some then that's all the better.

Yea I was looking at the DB8e but wanted to know if that was the best antenna and what would be the best configuration before making a purchase. I am into amateur radio so I have some basic knowledge of antennas but receiving OTA television is a different ballgame. I currently have a 2m-440 jpole antenna on the roof and a dipole strung between the trees in the backyard. The new TV antenna would go above the jpole.
Old 29-Sep-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
eden

I'm also in the Triad, moving to a house in Eden about 25 miles north of Greensboro this week, so the thread really interested me. A couple of comments on what you wrote: WUNC (ch. 25, virtual channel 4, Chapel Hill) and WUNL (ch. 32, virtual channel 26, Winston-Salem) broadcast identical programming. There isn't even one minute of difference in the programming between them. If you're going to point one of the panels to get channel 31 (NBC) at magentic 314 you'll have the same programming. However, some of the secondary networks available in Raleigh and the ones available in Greensboro don't match up. It's a pity WNCN (channel 17) is so weak in your area because it would probably be worthwhile to have the Raleigh market if you didn't have to sacrfice NBC. Oh well... I have my own questions about the DB8e but I'll start another thread for that.
eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Oct-2014, 12:21 AM   #5
radioman

I don't know much about the Raleigh market so no idea what it can offer that would be different. I guess if I really wanted I could get a second antenna to point in that direction and combine the signal. I can pick up WRAL now with my indoor antenna but most of the time it is unwatchable due to poor signal quality. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the best antenna is to pick up Raleigh stations in addition to Greensboro?
Old 5-Oct-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
radioman

So no one else has any suggestions on what antenna setup would be best?
Old 6-Oct-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
StephanieS

A premier option would be an Antennas Direct DB8e with one panel aimed to magnetic 230 with the other being 315.

A lower cost option would be an Antennacraft HBU11k aimed to magnetic 275, splitting the distance between the two towers.

Make sure if you use the HBU11k you have an unobstructed view to magnetic 275. This includes trees and buildings. Both of those elements in play may make a larger antenna needed.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote