TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Feb-2014, 2:57 PM   #1
die5el

New LG 60PN5000 TV not getting UHF over the air

So I'm not real experianced in this stuff. I just picked up a new TV. LG60PN5000 (you won't find documentation on this online, nothing on the LG website, I read on AVS it is the same as the 60PN5300 just without the picture wizard).

When I set it up it is not getting two channels over the air that my 6 year old LCD got fine. Doesn't pick them up at all, and they were crystal clear on the old TV.

I went to the FCC Tower locator and the two that don't come in are 4.1 and 6.1, listed at UHF, while the rest are VHF (zip is 83646, boise area).

So I figure the tuner isn't handeling the UHF, it seems like a brand new TV shouldn't have any issue with this, but again I don't know much about it. I'm not at my TV to troubleshoot but wanted to see if there might be some obvious stuff I am missing.

The ability to manual tune the channels is pretty limited. So I'm just trying to figure out 1-will this TV model just not handel those channels or 2-did I get a messed up tuner and I should try to exchange for a new one.

Customer service just said unplug it for 45 seconds, then plug in and factory reset and auto tune. Haven't tried yet because I am at work but don't have a lot of faith in that working.

Thanks

Edit: I have tried two different indoor antennas that both work fine on other TV. One is Amazon Basic Ultra Thin, other is Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified

Last edited by die5el; 14-Feb-2014 at 3:16 PM. Reason: Update Info
die5el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2014, 3:55 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You likely left the TV set in "Cable" mode if you are only receiving VHF broadcasts.

Where and when was the TV purchased?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2014, 4:11 PM   #3
die5el

Hmm, I thought I set to antenna but I will check tonight, I hope it is that simple =).

Bought at walmart a couple weeks back. That's why there is no documentation, it is a walmart only version of the 5300, which allows them to sell it cheaper. Good TV for $600 right now, but I need the UHF.
Old 15-Feb-2014, 1:38 PM   #4
die5el

Well, I got it to work. I ran the auto tune a few more times and randomly it picked them up finally, not sure what the deal was but it is working now.

It didn't have an option for cable vs. antenna, it just automatically detected.
Old 16-Feb-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
teleview

+=>
----
Digital tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wcshtv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf