TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Mar-2016, 3:17 AM   #1
MikeM

Mounting Antenna to Gas Vent Pipe

I've found that the only practical and convenient place to mount my RCA outdoor compact Yagi antenna is onto my 5" O.D. double wall stainless steel furnace gas vent pipe (the attic didn't work due to roof tile and neighboring house interference). The pipe is very solidly attached with a heavy-duty bracket on the truss directly under the roof sheathing so I'm not worried about it being able to withstand wind load. The antenna would be only about a foot above the top of the pipe - to the side, not directly above it. I would mount the mast to the pipe with galvanized brackets that offset it about 6" to the side of the vent pipe.

Is this an acceptable place and method to mount the antenna or is there something I'm missing? I find plumbing vent pipes mentioned as possible mounting points but not stainless gas vent (chimney) pipe.

I'd appreciate feedback on whether or not this mounting method will work okay.

Last edited by MikeM; 5-Mar-2016 at 1:21 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

The vent pipe is probably strong enough for an RCA ANT751, but my concern is fire safety because it is a gas vent pipe. Your local inspector would have the final say if you want to get him involved; some are more friendly than others. He is called the AHJ, authority having jurisdiction.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...g+jurisdiction
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2016, 1:42 PM   #3
rickbb

I vote no.

It's basically a thin sheet metal tube, it may seem strong, but not really.

Where I live it's a serious code violation to attach anything to a gas/furnace vent.

Anything that could damage the vent or otherwise cause it to get blocked/restricted can vent the poison gas back into your house and kill you!

Get a simple and cheap set of gable end brackets and attach the mast to the outside wall.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2016, 3:39 PM   #4
shoman94

I agree... I would not attach it to it. There are many other solutions.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2016, 3:20 AM   #5
MikeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
I vote no.

It's basically a thin sheet metal tube, it may seem strong, but not really.

Where I live it's a serious code violation to attach anything to a gas/furnace vent.

Anything that could damage the vent or otherwise cause it to get blocked/restricted can vent the poison gas back into your house and kill you!

Get a simple and cheap set of gable end brackets and attach the mast to the outside wall.
The pipe is not 'thin metal,' it's actually quite stout (partly because it's filled with insulation of some sort) and braced very well. I'm not concerned about it collapsing. I've tested the mounting brackets on the pipe and they don't even put a slight dimple in the exterior.

Unfortunately I can't use a simple gable end mount since I have a hip roof so am forced to mount the antenna on the roof to 'see' over the neighbor's house which is very close to mine. I don't think the HOA rules would allow me to put up a tall mast.

I was initially planning to mount the antenna in the attic but the tile roof and neighbor's house prevented that.
Old 9-Mar-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
shoman94

Ultimately it's your decision. We can only give our opinions.
Honestly what's the difference if the antenna is mounted to the roof with a 5ft mast or a ground mast in the back held with brackets that sticks up 5ft over the peak?
Does the hoa already have specific guidelines for antennas?

Last edited by shoman94; 9-Mar-2016 at 2:48 PM.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
I don't think the HOA rules would allow me to put up a tall mast.
The FCC OTARD says you can go as high 12 ft above your peak, no matter what the HOA says.
https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Quote:
(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

Last edited by rabbit73; 9-Mar-2016 at 11:40 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2016, 1:47 PM   #8
rickbb

You missed the point entirely.

1. A gas/furnace vent pipe is not a proper place to mount anything, let alone an antenna that will exert torsional loads under high winds. It just is not something that wise and cautious people would do.

2. It's very likely against several laws, codes and regulations, not to mention just un-safe.

You asked us what we thought, we're telling you. Don't do it. If you do it anyway and something bad happens at least you can't say we said it was ok, it's not.

Federal law trumps HOA wishes. Print the FCC document out and hand it to the HOA ruling junta if they give you any grief about putting up a roof mounted antenna.

There are plenty of mounting options and antennas that can be effective and discreet.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2016, 2:10 PM   #9
MikeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
You missed the point entirely.

1. A gas/furnace vent pipe is not a proper place to mount anything, let alone an antenna that will exert torsional loads under high winds. It just is not something that wise and cautious people would do.

2. It's very likely against several laws, codes and regulations, not to mention just un-safe.

You asked us what we thought, we're telling you. Don't do it. If you do it anyway and something bad happens at least you can't say we said it was ok, it's not.

Federal law trumps HOA wishes. Print the FCC document out and hand it to the HOA ruling junta if they give you any grief about putting up a roof mounted antenna.

There are plenty of mounting options and antennas that can be effective and discreet.
Good points Rick, thanks.
Old 12-Mar-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
Stereocraig

Not to mention, water vapor.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote