TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Nov-2010, 8:17 PM   #21
John Candle

Tv Reception

The 8 bay bow is a very good antenna for your location. The 8 bay is a UHF antenna that also does well at receiving the VHF high channels of 7 thru 13. But not so good at receiving the VHF low band channels of 2 thru 6. When I am helping people with there reception situations I do my best to make the installations goof proof that is why I make the suggestions that I do. Do Not crawl under the house. If you can , look inside the connector on the end of the coax on the outside of the house to see if its looks clean or corroded. And you are correct , the difference between ground level and 15 feet is not much of an improvement for reception. I like to experiment and find out what is what. The indoor amplifier is likely Ok , however if you like to experiment , try the antenna with and without the inside amplifier. Getting rid of that 50 $ month bill is a big help. 50 a month is 600 a year , so watch tv with an antenna and wait till later for the rotor. Having the antenna next to the dish is Ok.

Last edited by John Candle; 22-Nov-2010 at 8:30 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Nov-2010, 1:47 PM   #22
Esteban

A little update;
Connections at both ends are very good & clean. Amplifier was removed & I manually rotated antenna at its present height, just above the ridge. I rescanned at different degree intervals & could not come up with any additional channels than I was receiving. I get 9 channels, now. I did get a faint signal on #40 , but could not get it " dialed in ." I set antenna back in the direction that does the best. About True North to 25°
I do get 5-1,, 5-2 ,,,, & 5-3 very well with this antenna . TitanTV shows these as #36 channels.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I now feel that raising the height quite a bit , would be the next move for improvement . I already live on a hill here in Fl. Then, manually rotate & scan again to see if a rotor is going to be of any help. Radio Schack has an Eagle Brand ,[ I think that was the name ] that only uses the coax cable rather than running a seperate line. Do you have experience with it ?
Thanks again.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Nov-2010, 3:02 PM   #23
John Candle

Tv Reception

WOGX 31 Fox Network is on the side of the antenna. It is a strong signal , it may or may not come in on the side of the antenna. WBGX is religion , W40CQ is religion . You can dig for the others if you like , type the call letters in the google search box.
Old 24-Nov-2010, 3:15 PM   #24
Esteban

I get the Fox channel on #51 . I could barely see that #40, that I couldn't get a good signal on , was a religious channel.

Me thinks that all the numbers izz confusing !! LOL
Old 27-Nov-2010, 6:12 AM   #25
John Candle

Television Reception

If the reflective screen of the cm4228 is removed then the antenna will be a two direction antenna and this will be better for the reception of fox and no rotator will be needed.
Old 29-Nov-2010, 6:28 PM   #26
Esteban

ONE more UPDATE;

I went out & raised the antenna another 8 - 10 ft to see whether it would help to have it mounted higher. The results were the exact same as in my last posts . I then rotated the antenna & rescanned to see if an antenna rotor would make any difference. NONE ! I was surprised. No matter which direction it was pointed, or at rooftop level , up to 10ft high, I could only receive those same stations.
I now believe that only if I upgraded to an HDTV , & replaced cables, would I get any benefit. Also, maybe mount the antenna on a 30ft tower, although I have talked to someone with a very good antenna, with rotor on a tower, gets no more than I currently receive. His is an older TV, too.
Either way, the experience has been fun & it was worth the $50 antenna[ slightly used ] to pick up an additional 4 channels &&& to boost the signal sof those I was barely able to get.
Thanks to all of you for your help & advice.