TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Aug-2019, 1:36 PM   #1
Demian68

Cool Antenna Selection Help

I am new to this. Cut the cord and looking to get an antenna suggestion. Please see mytvfool report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903878e87f1ab3

thanks in advance
Old 16-Aug-2019, 7:59 PM   #2
jrgagne99

You have a nice report. All the major networks are strong and on UHF. You might be able to get away with a 4-bay such as the HDB4x, DB4e, or Clearstream 2, aimed at 217-degrees. If you don't care too much about size, go with a 8-bay or Clearstream-4 for better chance of reception right out of the gate. You should check the rabbitears report first thouh, to make sure nothing is moving to VHF-hi. If so, and depending on signal strength, you might need a stronger VHF rig, such as a 2475.

Also, and it kind of goes without saying, but mount it outside, high, and with a clear view (no trees) for best chance of reception.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 16-Aug-2019 at 8:03 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Aug-2019, 9:20 PM   #3
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
You have a nice report. All the major networks are strong and on UHF. You might be able to get away with a 4-bay such as the HDB4x, DB4e, or Clearstream 2, aimed at 217-degrees. If you don't care too much about size, go with a 8-bay or Clearstream-4 for better chance of reception right out of the gate. You should check the rabbitears report first thouh, to make sure nothing is moving to VHF-hi. If so, and depending on signal strength, you might need a stronger VHF rig, such as a 2475.
He's going to need an antenna with VHF-Hi coverage also...the NBC affiliate is on real channel 10 and the PBS affiliate is on real channel 8 (and will be moving to 7 during phase 10 of the repack). The remainder of the Atlanta DMA is on phase 5 of the repack with rescan day set for Sept 6th. All the the moves will be on UHF.

Another area of interest is WSB, the ABC affiliate. Currently his best signal is from the translator in Gainesville on real channel 46, which is much stronger than the main channel on real channel 39 in Atlanta. However the translator is about 120 degrees away from his other signals in Atlanta. Channel 39 is moving to 32 during the repack, but I am not sure what is taking place with the translators. Maybe someone more schooled on the repack can comment. With the move to a lower channel coupled with a good high gain antenna, maybe he will get good reception on 32 in Atlanta which is in the same direction as the other stations. Or he may be able to pick up the translator from Gainesville off the side of his antenna.
Old 17-Aug-2019, 1:22 PM   #4
Demian68

Thank you both. See below my rabbitears report.
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...&study_id=4832

So which antenna do you recommend with the scheduled channel moves?
Old 17-Aug-2019, 5:43 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

It appears that your area has an abundance of trees. I face the same problem here in the Northwest. Even though simulations predict noise margins for my stations of interest to be in the rage of +41 to +68 dB and line-of-sight, moving tree limbs are a source of signal interruptions.

I believe the single most important factor affecting reception reliability for you will be finding a mounting method that avoids having to "look" through trees near your antenna. Both the TV Fool and rabbitears simulations indicate edge path for most of your signals which is all the more reason to clear the trees near you if at all possible.

There appears to be a single Low-VHF signal (real CH-2, WUVM-LP) listed on your post-repack rabbitears report. If the RF noise levels are typical at your location, You would likely need an unusually large custom built antenna with 10dBd or more gain to make success likely.

I would start by focusing on the UHF and High-VHF signals first. The Antennas Direct DB8e is not overkill for UHF and the larger High-VHF antennas such as the Antennas Direct ClearStream 5 or Stellar Labs 30-2475 and 30-2476 are options to try for real channels 7 through 13.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2019, 4:54 PM   #6
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
He's going to need an antenna with VHF-Hi coverage also...the NBC affiliate is on real channel 10 and the PBS affiliate is on real channel 8 (and will be moving to 7 during phase 10 of the repack).
Whoops, I didn't see NBC on real-10. So he will need VHF-hi elements if he wants NBC. However, PBS is potentially available on WPBA (real-21) at basically the same compass bearing as all the rest.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2019, 6:06 PM   #7
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
Whoops, I didn't see NBC on real-10. So he will need VHF-hi elements if he wants NBC. However, PBS is potentially available on WPBA (real-21) at basically the same compass bearing as all the rest.
The two PBS stations carry quite a different lineup of programming in Atlanta. As strong as WGTV is at his location, it is only 20 degrees off from the other stations downtown and he should most likely receive it just fine with his antenna pointed at Atlanta. VHF antennas typically have a half power beam width of 45 or 50 degrees. I have similar signal strength for WPBA as he does and the signal here is a little dicey sometimes.