TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jul-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
MGK645

Help selecting new antenna for attic

Hey all,

We cut the cord back in March and setup a Mohu Leaf for our living room and bedroom TVs, signal was good going through a 2way splitter as long as the antenna was mounted in a windows facing West. Needless to say, wife got tired of the cables running down the hallway and across the front door area, so last night I started to mount it in the attic and run new RG6 Quad through the walls. Cables are wired up, one 20ft run to the basement from the attic where we will connect a new 4-way splitter to hook up all 3 bedrooms and living room, although currently the splitter is not connected as I set it up to test the signal in the living room. The signal is not very good, half the channels are now gone, and most that are there are breaking up.

So its time to get a real attic antenna but I need suggestions on which one to go with and whether or not I would need a preamp. I have attached my TV Fool and FM fool outputs for reference. I will also note that there is a 30ft maple tree on the west side of our house where most of the channels will be coming from. Attic construction is wood planks with asphalt shingles.

I was looking at the Mohu Sky 60 or AmazonBasics Sky, both are good for 50-60 miles* and both come with a preamp. Our local BestBuy also carries AntennaDirect.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03ec3f54abc5
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-FM.png (108.4 KB, 426 views)
MGK645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2015, 1:14 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
both are good for 50-60 miles*
Perhaps in someone's fantasy dream...

The Sky/Basics antennas do not come with a "pre"-amp, they come with a "post"-amp that gets tacked onto the wrong end of the cable away from the antenna. Your plot indicates that an amplifier should be avoided anyway. I would especially avoid theirs.

If the Leaf lost that much signal with that short of a coax run, something is wrong, either in the cabling (shield to conductor short, retracted stinger, etc), the antenna balun (cracked foil from handling), or in the location or orientation of the antenna.

My recommendation would be our ClearStream 2V aimed at Southfield. Make certain its selected mounting location is NOT behind trees or in the shadow of other buildings for best results. Be patient, try different antenna mounting locations before drilling any holes.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2015, 1:31 PM   #3
MGK645

Thanks ADTech

I didnt believe their claims of 50-60 miles either, hence the *. I forgot the

It might actually be the antenna balun, I noticed before I gave up last night that the cable was no longer tightening down on the antenna, the female piece just kept spinning inside the antenna. Maybe it broke the connection inside.

Either way, I'll stop at our local BB and grab the antenna that you suggest, they have it in stock.
MGK645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2015, 1:41 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
the female piece just kept spinning inside the antenna. Maybe it broke the connection inside.
Yep, it's busted!

Walmart stores also carry that model. Keep in mind that BB offers a mere 15 day return window (unless you've paid up for a membership) while WM offers a 90 day period.

If you need help, remember we're open 7 days a week for customer support. You wont get me on the phone anymore, but I participate here (and elsewhere) as well as take care of the incoming email from the "Contact Us" form on our website.

I've attached a discussion/tip sheet regarding attics that I send to folks who email for advice, you'll likely find something useful in it.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Attic antenna_or Not.pdf (173.4 KB, 499 views)

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 8-Jul-2015 at 10:10 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote