TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 17-Jun-2020, 1:53 PM   #21
rickbb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 334
At that length I'm sure he guy wired it down.

I've always worried a high wind would bend EMT around too much if the mast had any height to it.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2020, 4:43 PM   #22
Tim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
At that length I'm sure he guy wired it down.

I've always worried a high wind would bend EMT around too much if the mast had any height to it.
Yes, attached to the house with a bracket about half way up and guyed about 5 feet from the top. Very stable.
__________________
Antennacraft Y10-7-13 VHF, Antennas Direct 91XG UHF
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2020, 7:46 AM   #23
Pistachio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
Oh, and do keep us informed about the G450 rotator. If it pans out for you I will order two myself. My fear is that it is some sort of Chinese clone. When it arrives you should probably call the company and see if that's a valid serial number...
Your intuition seems to have been correct. The G450 is being shipped from China. I will wait to see what arrived before I decide on an action. What do you think? I am curious if the rotator that arrives is a cheap or well made duplicate, I doubt it will be authentic.
Pistachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2020, 4:37 PM   #24
Tim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
Your intuition seems to have been correct. The G450 is being shipped from China. I will wait to see what arrived before I decide on an action. What do you think? I am curious if the rotator that arrives is a cheap or well made duplicate, I doubt it will be authentic.
It will be interesting to see what you get. I have received some Chinese knockoffs of products that are just as good as the original and others that were severely lacking in worksmanship and quality control.
__________________
Antennacraft Y10-7-13 VHF, Antennas Direct 91XG UHF
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2020, 4:54 PM   #25
Tower Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delmar, NY
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I use EMT for masts all the time for TV and ham radio use. Just be aware that the outside diameter is larger than the trade size designator of the EMT.
EMT works fine for very short masts. For longer masts top rail is preferred. This is because the steel used in EMT has a yield strength of 30,000 PSI. The steel in top rail is rated at 50,000 PSI.

Note that pipe is also rated at 30,000 PSI, but is available in wall thicknesses that can make up some of the weakness of lower strength steel.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jun-2020, 8:46 PM   #26
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 292
Sleeving 1 3/8" top rail internally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
EMT works fine for very short masts. For longer masts top rail is preferred. This is because the steel used in EMT has a yield strength of 30,000 PSI. The steel in top rail is rated at 50,000 PSI.

Note that pipe is also rated at 30,000 PSI, but is available in wall thicknesses that can make up some of the weakness of lower strength steel.
I have experimented with 21 foot 1 3/8" SS-20 top rail and sleeved it internally with 10 foot sections of 1" water pipe, the fit is perfect. I laid out the two water pipes , put a 12 mm deep well socket in between the two and welded the two water pipes together and shoved them inside the top rail for a sturdy 21 foot mast.

Rotor killer though.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 8-Jul-2020 at 11:05 AM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2020, 12:09 PM   #27
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 292
YAESU 450 is it what it is or is it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
Your intuition seems to have been correct. The G450 is being shipped from China. I will wait to see what arrived before I decide on an action. What do you think? I am curious if the rotator that arrives is a cheap or well made duplicate, I doubt it will be authentic.
ANY WORD?

Seriously! I need one! Or two...
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2020, 3:49 PM   #28
Pistachio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Homeworx HW130STB initial review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
Apparently, you can scan or set the channels yourself in advance. This way you dont have to scan and re-scan all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
Yes, there is a add Channel function. So even if you're not receiving the channel at that time you can still program it in and when you Rotator is rotated correctly you will receive that Channel.
I have been using the Homeworx HW130STB for a few days now and it is good for the most part. Picture quality is great, it changes channels quickly, there is a guide to tell you what is on all the channels for the next couple hours. On individual channels it tells you what is on now and next.

The annoying thing is that when you change to a channel the guide showing you what channel and what is playing currently does not disappear for 5+ seconds. It takes up a good part of the screen so you can't see what is happening. You can hit the info button twice to get rid of it faster but that is not a good solution when you are clicking around. I haven't messed with it too much so maybe there is a way to adjust or turn that function off.

The other pitfall with the Homeworx HW130STB is that it uses an IR optical remote control. You have to point the remote directly to the unit and when I am about 20' away it does not always receive my clicks so I end up having to either keep clicking or walk closer to the unit.

Overall for $30 it is great, they should just put in a radio (not IR optical ) remote! And fix that window that pops up and stays on when channel surfing.
Pistachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2020, 4:01 PM   #29
Pistachio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
ANY WORD?

Seriously! I need one! Or two...
So I was not familiar with Yaesu prior to this thread mentioning it. That said, I did not really consider that I might receive a Chinese clone and not the original. Yaesu is a Japanese company and it does seem that they do have some factories in China for certain products after searching the internet a little bit (but I am not sure about this). That said, the device is not here yet but it looks like it will show up today after 18 days from putting in my order. Maybe Yaesu has a factory near CHENGDU, CHINA. I will keep you posted on what they have sent me once I get it.

June 12, 2020 Ordered online

June 17, 2020, 5:17 pm
Acceptance
CHINA

June 17, 2020, 8:15 pm
Processed Through Facility
CHENGDU, CHINA

June 24, 2020, 1:55 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

June 28, 2020, 8:18 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SAN FRANCISCO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 30, 2020, 7:10 am
Out for Delivery
SAN DIEGO, CA
Pistachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jul-2020, 3:09 AM   #30
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
I have been using the Homeworx HW130STB for a few days now and it is good for the most part. Picture quality is great, it changes channels quickly, there is a guide to tell you what is on all the channels for the next couple hours. On individual channels it tells you what is on now and next.

The annoying thing is that when you change to a channel the guide showing you what channel and what is playing currently does not disappear for 5+ seconds. It takes up a good part of the screen so you can't see what is happening. You can hit the info button twice to get rid of it faster but that is not a good solution when you are clicking around. I haven't messed with it too much so maybe there is a way to adjust or turn that function off.

The other pitfall with the Homeworx HW130STB is that it uses an IR optical remote control. You have to point the remote directly to the unit and when I am about 20' away it does not always receive my clicks so I end up having to either keep clicking or walk closer to the unit.

Overall for $30 it is great, they should just put in a radio (not IR optical ) remote! And fix that window that pops up and stays on when channel surfing.

A while back on AVS we talked about the Homeworx Vs. the Channelmaster and how they used the same software.

Don't know if its worth reading for you:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/186-c...erter-box.html
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jul-2020, 3:11 AM   #31
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
So I was not familiar with Yaesu prior to this thread mentioning it. That said, I did not really consider that I might receive a Chinese clone and not the original. Yaesu is a Japanese company and it does seem that they do have some factories in China for certain products after searching the internet a little bit (but I am not sure about this). That said, the device is not here yet but it looks like it will show up today after 18 days from putting in my order. Maybe Yaesu has a factory near CHENGDU, CHINA. I will keep you posted on what they have sent me once I get it.

June 12, 2020 Ordered online

June 17, 2020, 5:17 pm
Acceptance
CHINA

June 17, 2020, 8:15 pm
Processed Through Facility
CHENGDU, CHINA

June 24, 2020, 1:55 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

June 28, 2020, 8:18 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SAN FRANCISCO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 30, 2020, 7:10 am
Out for Delivery
SAN DIEGO, CA
I hope, I hope, I hope, it's not a scam! Please let us know how it goes, I'll buy 2 or 4 or .
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jul-2020, 6:48 AM   #32
Pistachio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
I hope, I hope, I hope, it's not a scam! Please let us know how it goes, I'll buy 2 or 4 or .
Wrong item shipped. I contacted the vendor and my credit card company. Both are responsive but I too hope it was not a scam. I think I am covered so either I end up with my cash back or the actual item. I will keep you posted.
Pistachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2020, 5:28 PM   #33
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 292
What Happened?

Did you get the rotator or some BS?
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2020, 7:50 PM   #34
Tim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
Did you get the rotator or some BS?
He had to wait 18 days for the first order so I imagine he is still waiting on the correct replacement. Will be interesting to see if he gets it and if it is genuine. If so, I will be tempted to order one.
__________________
Antennacraft Y10-7-13 VHF, Antennas Direct 91XG UHF
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jul-2020, 5:17 PM   #35
Pistachio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
Did you get the rotator or some BS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
He had to wait 18 days for the first order so I imagine he is still waiting on the correct replacement. Will be interesting to see if he gets it and if it is genuine. If so, I will be tempted to order one.
So where I am located all both VHF-Hi and UHF channels are at either 10deg or 140deg so I thought I needed a rotator. Also, I thought I would need both UHF and VHF antennas. So far, I hooked up a UHF 8-bay bowtie antenna (ANT7285 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Digiwave...ord=W958886826) and pointed it at 140deg. I am getting all the channels that come from 10deg and even the VHF ones that I did not expect to receive at all. So that said, I don't think I need a rotator or dedicated VHF antenna. Thoughts?

I requested them to cancel the order, but there is some confusion there so I am not sure if they are still going to ship it out or refund me. I cannot tell if they are illegitimate or just disorganized. I am leaning towards the latter. If it does show up I wont be heartbroken since the cost is nice but I don't think its necessary for my system.

This is not yet resolved so once I receive either a refund or a rotator I will let you know.
Pistachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jul-2020, 2:29 PM   #36
Tim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post

I requested them to cancel the order, but there is some confusion there so I am not sure if they are still going to ship it out or refund me. I cannot tell if they are illegitimate or just disorganized. I am leaning towards the latter. If it does show up I wont be heartbroken since the cost is nice but I don't think its necessary for my system.

This is not yet resolved so once I receive either a refund or a rotator I will let you know.
Well, if you end up getting the rotator and it is a genuine item (or even a well made copy) I'm sure you won't have any problem passing it along to a new home and recoup your costs.
__________________
Antennacraft Y10-7-13 VHF, Antennas Direct 91XG UHF
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 7:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC