TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Apr-2012, 6:18 AM   #1
sychin

Antenna or Fix Suggestion

Report is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...267e1875e0958e

Currently connected to 2 TV tuners. Current antenna is channel master cm4228, not cm4228hd mounted outside to chimney. Used to get channel 4 (KRON) and 7 (KGO) fine until 2-3 months ago. Then it became intermittent. Channel 7 is VHF high.

Do I need a different antenna or is there a possible fix?
sychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2012, 9:55 AM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Are the >< shaped metal reception elements aimed at about 1 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Tvfool radar plot shows KORN is transmitting on UHF channel 38. Adj. the antenna and rescan for digital broadcast tv channels. Are KRON and KGO received now??
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2012, 5:24 PM   #3
sychin

The report shows that they should point at 309 degrees which I have set it to now. I get channel 4 KRON now, but still do not get channel 7.1 KGO. Is it because it is a VHF channel and the antenna I have is only UHF?
Old 8-Apr-2012, 6:29 PM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The 1 degree magnetic compass is a inbetween starting aim direction for the groups of tv stations to the , north , north west , north east. For better reception of KGO 7 ABC and the other VHF channels of KNTV 12 NBC , and K02QO 02 Ind. Install a http://antennacraft.net , CS-600 VHF antenna aimed at about 319 degree magnetic compass. The 4228 antenna and the CS-600 are combined with a UVSJ UHF/VHF Separator/Joiner. Type the letters uvsj in the , http://www.solidsignal.com, search box.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2012, 1:26 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

Before we finally recommend buying a new VHF antenna, note that KGO transmits on BOTH VHF and UHF. Look down two-thirds of the way in the green section of your TVFool report and you'll see a second listing for KGO on real channel 35. It transmits from the Valley and its service area is plotted here. Stations across the country have added these fill-in translators, and they will show up on the same virtual channel as the main transmitter. You may not know which transmitter you're tuned to (and that's generally OK), and some tuners may not handle this properly, although they should.

First, you definitely need to point north for this to work. Try entering 35 on your remote (no -1) and see if that syncs in. If so, you're set! If not, some other antenna is in order. If you've got trees or other local obstructions that have grown up or have been built up lately, then heed Electron's advice. Personally, if you've got a clear shot from your chimney, I think you have waaay too much antenna for your situation. You have at least 26 stations with a noise margin of 30 or more. That means you have at least 15 dB to give before you see any reception problems. Yes, that means you could use an antenna with 0 dB gain and still have enough margin for cable losses and such.

You should be able to get by with an Antennas Direct DB2-e pointed at due north.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2012, 8:30 PM   #6
sychin

Out of town right now. Will try channel 35 and see what happens. If that does not work, I will point to 1 degree as Electron suggested. Will updated once I am able to.
Old 11-Apr-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
sychin

Tried channel 35, but tuner does not allow unless there is a sub-channel. 35-1 is already taken, so that does not work. I pointed to 1 degree as Electron suggested, but that made it worse by losing more stations than there was before. Guess I will have to get a VHF antenna with a combiner unless there are other suggestions.