TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Aug-2010, 4:27 AM   #1
rtcoop

OTA Question

I am looking into getting an OTA to get my local channels in HD. My question is what type of antenna will work for me in my area that I will be able to mount in the attic. I really want to avoid mounting anything on the house. I currently have dishnetwork and they carry my locals in hd, but I am switching to dish to get more hd channels and they don't carry my locals in hd. The link to my tvfool report is below. Thanks for the help!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe7f1d9d259e
rtcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 6:20 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

I'd recommend a Winegard HD7696P aimed at 280 degrees or so. Your report casts doubt as to your ability to use an attic mount, but it's run for 10 feet above ground. I'd hazard that your attic is higher than that, so rerun the report with that height. If you see NM's above 20, then you should be OK.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 6:56 PM   #3
mtownsend

Most of your signals are pretty weak because the hills are getting in the way.

An attic antenna is probably not a good idea because:

1) You'll need a large antenna to make up for the weak signals and losses due to building penetration. Since your local stations seem to be coming from three different clusters (two in the west and one in the east), you will need an antenna rotator if you want to pick up stations from different directions. Your attic might not have enough space to work with.

2) With an attic antenna, you might be limited to only the strongest channels on your list (in the green and yellow zones). The channels in the red zone might not come in reliably.

3) Indoor antennas are more prone to multipath (similar to "ghosts" or "echoes") caused by signals bouncing around the building and other objects. Multipath is an additional kind of signal interference that your tuner needs to deal with and this can cause some channels to drop-out or become intermittent. Rooftop antennas have the advantage of being out in the open and above most of the objects that might cause multipath.

I'd recommend installing the antenna on your roof with a rotator and a pre-amp.

If you care about WUOA on channel 6, then you'll need a full band VHF/UHF antenna like the Winegard HD8200U.

If you can live without WUOA, then you can get something like the Winegard HD7696P or Antennacraft HBU-55. These antennas only cover channels 7-69, but they are significantly narrower than the full band antennas because they don't have any of the long antenna elements to deal with low-VHF channels.

For an antenna rotator, you can use the Channel Master 9521A.

For mounting hardware, there are multiple choices depending on where and how you want to attach the mast to your house.

A good pre-amp for you would be the Channel Master 7777.

All connections should be done with RG6 coax cable.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2010, 2:26 AM   #4
rtcoop

Thanks for the replies. My only real concern is to get WCBI, which has one of the strongest signals. I would also like to get WKDH, WTVA, and WLOV if possible, but the rest I really don't care about.
Old 27-Aug-2010, 6:32 PM   #5
rtcoop

Can I use the mount found at the link below with the winguard 7696p? Also, do I need to have a grounding block?

http://www.summitsource.com/winegard...00-p-5204.html