TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Jul-2011, 1:14 AM   #41
Markm

Tv Antennas and Reception

John,

Thanks again,

I might try that combination this fall. I looked up the prices about $150 for all of it. I might just go after the UHF channels but the cs600 is only $23.00 at solid signal and go ahead and pick up the VHF channels too.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by Markm; 5-Jul-2011 at 1:17 AM.
Markm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jul-2011, 1:21 PM   #42
Dave Loudin

STOP!

John, why are suggesting a lower gain VHF solution? While WHBF and WREX do have positive NMs, they are also 2-edge paths, so the variability will be greater. Mark, I humbly suggest that all you need to add antenna-wise is the xg-91. Use your existing antenna for VHF reception - you can't do any better unless what you have is damaged. Hook everything up as John suggests, but do not swap out your existing antenna for the CS600.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jul-2011, 6:39 PM   #43
John Candle

The spacing between , 4 , 13 , 10 , is very wide. The CS6000 is a VHF antenna with very wide beam width. The big philips antenna is a narrow beam width antenna. The narrow beam width Philips antenna will have greatly reduced reception ability with the very wide spacing of , 4 , 13 , 10 . Dave you can STOP! using the question askers as a way to attack me and my credibility.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jul-2011, 9:28 PM   #44
Dave Loudin

John, I am discussing strictly on the technical merits. I realize that the antenna you suggested has a wide beamwidth, and that's the problem. Reception is marginal now with a high-gain antenna. Using a low-gain antenna in order to not rotate simply will not work.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jul-2011, 10:34 PM   #45
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
Using a low-gain antenna in order to not rotate simply will not work.
The NM on channel 4 is 11.7 dB. In my experience only the largest low band antennas will work at that signal level.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2011, 12:10 AM   #46
Markm

John,

What if I just forget about the VHF channels. If I get an AD 91XG can I use the Winegard HDP-269 preamp that I have or do I need the kinztech KT-200 coax powered amp you suggested earlier.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 8-Jul-2011, 1:36 AM   #47
John Candle

Yes you can use the HDP269 preamp with the 91XG antenna. The 91 XG will give about 5 NM dB more gain on UHF then the Philips antennas UHF section. And if thats not enough of a increase in reception then you can use the Kitztec. The Kitztech is a ultra low noise amp at .4 dB noise added to the UHF signal , The HDP269 adds 3.5 dB noise to the signal. So with the Kitztech the signal is 3 dB cleaner. And thats important with very low UHF signals at your location. I have a question , how far down the list is reliable reception both day and night being received now?? Is the WTVP-DT 46 PBS signal reliable day and night??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2011, 10:06 PM   #48
Markm

TV Antennas and Reception

John,

Right now I do not receive WTVP-DT 46 PBS. I know earlier you said I had a better shot at true 200 degrees than true 73 degrees. When I aimed at 200 degrees nothing, at 73 degrees I get several channels. Down the list is WBBM vc 2 ABC this is reliable for the most part, but other channels like WGN vc 9 CW and WLS vc 7 ABC will drop out during the day, which are higher up the list.
I do receive channels as far down as WYIN vc 56 PBS at night.

Right now I'm running 50' of new RG-6 Quad shield coax, from the preamp through the window to the tv. I will need to eventually run this down the roof down 2 stories into the basement over about 15' back up the 2 stories to the attic over 20' then down the wall to the coax box in the wall roughly 100'.
How much signal lose in that? That is to 1 TV but would like to add a second TV if possible.

I hope I answered your question

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 8-Jul-2011, 10:10 PM   #49
Markm

John,

I also receive 2 channels from the back side of the antenna, WEEK vc 25 NBC and WMBD vc 31 CBS which is more reliable than WEEK. Both are fairly strong at night. I have a Zenith DTT901 converter so I would say signal strength is around 70-75%.

Mark

Last edited by Markm; 8-Jul-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 15-Jul-2011, 2:08 AM   #50
Markm

John,

I answered your question earlier and asked you a couple, maybe you missed them.

But I have another question: Do you know of a promo code for solid signal for free shipping was thinking of ordering the XG91 and the CS600 antennas you recommended earlier. I've tried goggling them but come up with nothing.

Thanks again
Mark

Last edited by Markm; 15-Jul-2011 at 2:22 AM.