TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Sep-2013, 6:05 PM   #1
chicago_expat

Chicago TV stations in Milwaukee

I found two older threads on receiving Chicago TV stations in Milwaukee here http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.p...ight=milwaukee and here http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.p...ight=milwaukee

but neither thread has any results indicating whether they were successful. I am also interested in pulling in Chicago OTA stations using a dedicated antenna, but have two concerns:
  1. Antenna size
  2. Probability of success
I have a three story single family home, and can mount an antenna on the roof, or chimney with an approximate height of 50 feet with no obstructions. My fool report is here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae1f254672ef

I have looked at the Winegard HD7698P, and want to know if there is a smaller alternate antenna that will work, like one of the Antennas Direct ClearStreams. The HD7698P is a very large antenna, but viewed from the ground may not look so big. I am somewhat concerned about the asthetics and don't want to annoy my neighbors with a ginormous unsightly antenna.

Ultimately the antenna output will be connected to some type of streaming box (Silicondust HD Homerun, or SimpleTV box) so I don't need an A/B switch or splitters since there will only be a single load.

Thanks for the help
chicago_expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2013, 8:49 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The local signals are extremely powerful. A difference of 70 dB means that the stronger signal is 10,000,000 (ten million) times more powerful than the weaker one. Such overpowering local signal levels make your chances of success quite low.

If I were to try, I would use an Antennas Direct 91XG and an Antennacraft Y10713. Then the challenge would be finding a preamp that would not overload due to the powerful local signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Sep-2013 at 4:55 AM. Reason: punc., sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
teleview

If you will like to try for the Chicago Tv stations , install the Winegard HD7698P antenna above the roof in such a manner that roof and house are not impeding and blocking reception in the direction of , South.

I recommend Do Not use any type or kind of signal amplifier.

Because the local Milwaukee Tv station signal strengths are Very Strong Signal Strengths.

And will most likely over load a any amplifier and cause worse reception on many channels.

These 2 amplifiers are designed to eccept strong signals and resist overload , however that does not mean that the amplifiers will not over load because of strong signals.

If you will like to ->Test<- reception with a amplifier , then 1 at a time , try the Winegard HDP-269 preamplifier and Winegard LNA-200 'Boost' XT amplifier.

Try reception WithOut a amplifier first.

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

The Local Milwaukee Tv stations/channels are easy to receive.

Aim a Terk HDTVi (not HDTVa) antenna at about 322 degree moagnetic compass direction.

Last edited by teleview; 11-Sep-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 7-Sep-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Stereocraig

Regardless of some manufacturers' claims, there is no substitute for physical size and there are no magic antennas.

Except for a parabolic, you're not going to do much better than the aforementioned antennas.

Chicago does have a few channels that aren't mirrored in Milwaukee, but I'm guessing you're looking for some Bears games?
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Sep-2013, 9:52 PM   #5
chicago_expat

I am going to test the Winegard HD7698P and see if I can pick up WGN (9.1). I can setup the antenna for a test run on the roof of the parking garage at work, which is a bit higher and also has an unobstructed view south.
Old 10-Sep-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Unless you also want to attempt reception of WBBM, try a UHF-only Yagi or 8-bay antenna instead of the 7698. The 7698 adds a LOT of physical space for the high VHF section and WBBM is quite unlikely to be received in Milwaukee anyway.

There's probably no benefit in wrestling with a 14' long antenna instead of an 8' Yagi or the panel antenna.

As WGN transmits on the low end of the UHF band, you'd likely get the best results from our DB8e vs our 91XG.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 10-Sep-2013 at 10:41 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Sep-2013, 6:33 PM   #7
chicago_expat

I have some "must have" channels: WBBM, WFLD, WGN, WLS, and WMAQ. The other stations would be nice to have, but I can live without them. WBBM is mandatory since the Bears games against an AFC team are on CBS. No doubt channel 12 VHF is going to be the difficult one to pickup, but I won't know until I try.