TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jul-2011, 2:17 PM   #1
rickdo

Attic-mounted antenna in Durham NC

I am trying to help my father in-law get better reception on his TV. The TV Fool report for his house is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03d96ebc2466c9

He currently has an RCA indoor antenna (model number is unknown) and he gets the PBS station (Channel 4.1) perfect. We have tried moving the antenna to different spots and all the tuning we can do with the antenna and other stations just are not there.

I would like to get an antenna for the Attic, it has lots of space, so he can get most of the green and yellow stations. The major networks is all he cares about PBS (of course), ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX.

Any antenna recommendations are appreciated - there are lots of advertisements on the internet and I'm sure a large part of them are false.

Thanks
rickdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2011, 4:29 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

Looking over your report, you seem to be awash in strong signals. I'm guessing that the RCA antenna you have now is amplified (Do you have to plug it in?), and that amplifier is getting overloaded. I have a feeling that a simple rabbit ear (for WTVD, ABC) and loop combination would work. However, a modest antenna will work fine in the attic if there isn't too much metal in the way from siding/insulation/etc.

Try the RCA ANT-751 first. An alternate would be the AntennaCraft HBU-33. Aim it to the southeast.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2011, 8:26 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

. Metal , concrete and thick bricks reduce and block Tv transmissions. Is the building wrapped with any type or kind of metal such as but not limited to metal siding or stucko with stucko Wire?? Is the building concrete or brick?? Does the building have a metal roof?? Does the building have concrete tile roof?? Is there metal backed insulation in the walls or attic?? Are there solar panels on the roof?? Is the Tv location in a basement?? The television transmissions are VERY STRONG at your location. So something is happening that only one Tv channel is being received. Does the indoor antenna have a amplifier?? If so , the amplifier is being overloaded. I will recommend a different antenna.

Last edited by John Candle; 10-Jul-2011 at 9:35 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2011, 8:29 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

You are correct , many antenna advertisements are false. Here is a example of what you see all over the internet , 150 mile Tv antennas , 150 mile Tv antennas are false advertisements. Solid Signal states this fact with bold red print. Here is what I say , if the antenna looks like a prop in a 1950's Si Fi movie , do not buy the antenna. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...20Antennas&sk=

Last edited by John Candle; 9-Jul-2011 at 4:33 AM.
Old 10-Jul-2011, 8:30 PM   #5
SVTarHeel

rickdo, I'm in Winston, between 23-29 miles form the local stations' towers and can get most stations with a simple Radio Shack rabbit ears setup like Dave Loudin mentioned. If memory serves, it was $13 or so. That may be an inexpensive test. Or, get something at Wal*Mart that can be returned. I would think that anything even halfway decent would be fine for the Triangle.

One other option - there's a new Raleigh company making an antenna. I've been thinking about getting one. It has a money back guarantee and the Amazon reviews (they sell directly and via Amazon) are really good. See here

Hope that helps some.
SVTarHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2011, 9:32 PM   #6
John Candle

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The leaf. The truth is , a UHF antenna , is a UHF antenna , is a UHF antenna , is a UHF antenna. There is no such thing as a Magic Tv Antenna. The laws of physics apply. The laws of physics do not care if you like the laws of physics or not. If the claims look to good to be true , then they are to good to be true.

Last edited by John Candle; 10-Jul-2011 at 10:50 PM.