TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Dec-2015, 2:13 AM   #1
MystrE

Splitting the difference in pointing my antenna

I just installed an Antennas Direct DB4E and VHF retrofit kit in my attic this morning and have been thrilled with the results so far.
DirecTV got the call this afternoon and they have been informed their service is no longer required. Yep, I cut the cord and it feels real good!
The stations I'm catching are between 189 to 223 degrees on the compass. My question is what would be the optimal compass heading to point my antenna to where I would get the best possible signal from all stations in this range? I am currently pointed at about 214 degrees.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Did I say it feels real good to cut the cord? Kudos to Antennas Direct for their over the phone advice while trying to determine what would work for my situation.
MystrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2015, 3:40 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Insufficient information. A TVFool plot is needed.

Otherwise, see how the current setting works out. If there are no issues, go watch TV.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2015, 1:10 PM   #3
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

Previous TVFool report from MystrE

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15e12c85490e
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2015, 1:48 PM   #4
MystrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Ridge View Post
Thanks! I was going to download that report again and post it here. The station at 189 degrees is showing slightly over half strength on the TV's signal meter. Everything else is stronger with the 2 Hi VHF channels coming in at full strength. Antennas Direct sent me an earlier model VHF retrofit kit with slightly longer dipoles (I think) and I am especially happy that it seems to be working very nicely.
It feels great to finally declare my freedom from monthly television watching bills.
MystrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2015, 2:09 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

As long as your reception is without defect, the absolute "signal meter" readings are irrelevant. It only has to be "good enough" for perfect reception.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2015, 4:21 PM   #6
Tower Guy

I'd leave it at 214 degrees. Your most important UHF stations are from 216-220. If MyNet on RF channel 30 stutters or breaks up, turn the antenna slightly to about 210.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Dec-2015, 5:38 PM   #7
skatingrocker17

I have the same setup as you. I need the VHF kit to get my local Fox station and CBET Windsor. Most of my stations are less than 20 miles but the way my apartment is set up, my antenna faces a wall on the outside but still works great.

Since I have stations in other directions (between Detroit, MI and Windsor, ON), I had to go outside. adjust the antenna, and watch the TV to find a spot where I could get all my channels.
skatingrocker17 is offline   Reply With Quote