TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Apr-2013, 8:08 AM   #1
coxie2

Which antenna would be better 4 me ?

TV Fool report link http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda3033f3e8ef

Live in east central Illinois. Report shows the broadcast stations I am primarily interested are 3.1, 15.1, and 27.1. Also 2.1. 38.1, and 10.1. If I am understanding the readout, these towers are approximately 180 degrees apart. Some at 147 and the others at approximately 310. I have been considering either the Mohu Sky or the Db8e. I plan on mounting the antenna above my roof line (approx. 25 ft.) on a mast that can be rotated from the ground. I will be using RG6 cable for all runs. I would like to be able to split the signal for two televisions. To the southwest of my residence (approx. 1/4 mile) is a large Cargil Grain bin operation. I can however receive ch. 2.1 and 38.1 consistently with a cheaper amplified RCA antenna. These channels are at the 147 deg. direction. Needing advice or opinion on which one to purchase. Thanks for the help.
coxie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2013, 6:15 PM   #2
elmo

Well, IMO, neither is best for your situation.

The Sky is way overpriced, IMO, esp for just a UHF antenna. For a fraction of the price you could get about the same thing (minus the plastic casing) by getting the Aspen Eagle DB2BUHF and remove the reflector from the back. Aimed in one direction you'd also pick up from the opposite direction. But really that's a better solution for when you have two opposite clusters of towers that are somewhat the same distance from you. The reflector helps gather more signal from one direction; removing it means you don't get as strong a signal, but you do receive from both directions; no free lunch.

The DB8E is nice, but with the reflectors, you won't get much of anything from the opposite side. On a rotor, it could do well.

The one drawback to both is that they are UHF designs, meaning that CBS on Ch 10 (VHF) would likely be weak if received at all. Sometimes it works well enough, but you're taking the risk. If CBS on 48 is the same, then it may not be an issue for you.

That said, I'm not sure I have a good recommendation for you. A more expert opinion would be good. If it was me, I'd possibly try something like the Winegard 7698p that can pull Hi-VHF as well as UHF. It goes down to Ch 7, which covers Ch 10 reception for you.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2013, 6:26 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

elmo's assessment is spot-on re. the UHF only antennas.

I would tend toward a very similar antenna, the HD7694P due to it's wider forward beam. I fear the 7698 would be too directional. You situation calls for a bit of compromise between high gain (to chase down the weaker signals) and wide forward beam-width (to receive from angles to either side of aim point).

The HD7694P will receive medium and strong signals from the rear, so I would suggest a starting aim point of about 310° compass. You can try this with no amplification, but I expect you'll benefit from a good preamp such as the CPA-19 or HDP-269.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Apr-2013 at 6:27 PM. Reason: formatting
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2013, 6:45 PM   #4
teleview

A Simple 2 antenna reception situation.

A Tv Antenna Rotator ->Is Not Required<- with this 2 antenna set up.

For reception of the Current +Pending Applications Included Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels in the Green and Yellow and Red , reception zones , down to and including WBIU the CW and This Tv.

Install a Winegard YA1713 VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna aimed at about 305 degree magnetic compass direction.

Install a Antennas Direct , ClearStream 4 , UHF band channels 14 thru 51 Antenna aimed at about 310 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the -> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim direction can be adjusted to provide the best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some digital Tv's have a signal quality meter.

---->> Remove the Reflector Screens from the CS4 Antenna.<<----

-->With the Reflector Screens Removed , the CS4 antenna UHF Reception Loops will receive the UHF channels Tv stations to the , north west , west , south east. <<--

With the YA1713 antenna aimed at about 305 degree magnetic compass direction , the YA1713 VHF high band antenna will receive the , Weak signal strength WILL-TV Real VHF channel 09 PBS.

And the Much Stronger Signal Strength , WTHI , Real VHF channel 10 - CBS and FOX and MyNetwork , will be received through/at the back angle of the YA1713 antenna.

Connect the YA1713 and the CS4 together with a UHF/VHF antenna Combiner.

A Antennas Direct , EU385CF-1s , antennas combiner.

The YA1713 is connected to the VHF connection of the combiner.

The CS4 is connected to the UHF connection of the combiner.

The remaining connection of the combiner goes to the Tv/s.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter , No antenna system amplifier.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter , No antenna system amplifier.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter. No antenna system amplifier.

The Current Tv stations/channels being transmitted and received in the USA and Canada and Mexico border Tv stations are.

VHF low band Tv channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

The Tv fool channel list shows the Real Channels that are transmitted and received , and (virt.) virtual numbers.

Your location does not have any receivable Real VHF low band channels.

That is why a YA1713 VHF high band antenna and CS4 UHF band antenna is used.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Apr-2013 at 9:45 PM.
Old 4-May-2013, 9:26 AM   #5
coxie2

Thanks guys. Any experience with the HD Stacker from Denny's Antennas ?
coxie2 is offline   Reply With Quote