TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Jan-2013, 5:25 PM   #1
eaf

Squeezing a little more from ClearStream 2V's VHF

Hi,

I need some help with my ClearStream 2V setup… I'm in NJ, here is tvfool channel report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda714030450c

The antenna is pointed toward NYC (26deg) and works great overall, I can pull all UHF stations I want, i.e. WNJN(51), WCBS(33), WNBC(28), WNYW(44), WNYE(24). I can even pull WABC(7) reliably, thanks to the VHF dipole on top and the high transmitter's power. What I have troubles with is WNET(13) and WPIX(11).

On a good day the signal quality on WNET(13) is 76-78% as reported by my EyeTV Hybrid stick. I guess, this number by itself doesn't mean much, but when it drops to about 72% on a bad day, the picture starts freezing, blocking, etc. So, really, whatever that 76-78% means, I have only about 4% of margin on WNET(13), the channel that I'd really like to have.

ABC(7) runs about 6% higher, WNBC(28) is about 11% higher than WNET(13) quality-wise.

I was thinking about getting another antenna, such as ANT751R, which is also not too large and has allegedly better VHF reception, but then I'll likely lose in the UHF area, which is not desirable either.

ClearStream 2V is installed outdoors, there is no amplifier, but the cable is only about 20' long - almost a straight run into the living room. There is a ground block and a regular TV outlet in-between, no splitters.

I figure, trying an amplifier is not going to improve situation by much. Due to the short cable run, the only thing I can hope for is a better noise rating that a good amplifier may bring. But then again, it looks like I don't really need a huge improvement, something marginal may also work.

Are there any easy hacks I can do to the VHF part of CS2V to get a few extra dB out of WNET(13)? E.g. I tried putting a "reflector", i.e. a slightly longer metal rod behind the dipole, but got only about 1-2% of quality improvement. Tried connecting VHF dipole directly to the TV bypassing the built-in diplexer, but it didn't have any effect, so the CS2's diplexer must be pretty efficient then.

Any other ideas? Change dipole to smith else, grow a boom? I'd rather do a small modification to CS2 than go out again shopping for another antenna.
eaf is offline   Reply With Quote