TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Mar-2015, 3:33 AM   #1
bigR

Question need some professional advice

hey all,
I am new to this forum and also to ota antennas. I need a little advice on the best antenna for my situation. I would like to pick up as many channels as possible as economically as possible. i'm just trying to find out if I can get enough channels to get rid of my satellite provider. my tvfool report is included and I will be waiting for your suggestions. thanks for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All (1).png (48.7 KB, 528 views)
bigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Jake V

1. Please post the actual link to the TV Fool Report. It is clickable provides information in addition to what is in your graphic.

2. Ten feet is not very high for an antenna. And the signal strength is very weak at your location. Please re-do your TV Fool Report using the following directions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 -- Make new reports at the height you'd like to put your antenna (roof top level) and than at 35 feet and 50 feet (you may not go that high but the details provided by the report are useful).
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
bigR

Radar-All (4).png

Radar-All (3).png

Radar-All (2).png

Radar-All (1).png

Radar-All.png
I hope these are the links you need as I am not too familiar with the site yet and my computer is old and takes a long time to load these but if not I will try something else. if I put the antenna in the gable on my house it would be around 25 ft. high. I only put 10 ft. on the other one as it seemed as if the higher I went the lower the power got on my reports. of course I could be reading them wrong. anyway, thanks for replying.
Old 5-Mar-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

There are HTML links embedded in your TV Fool reports. Each call sign can be clicked on to open a path profile for that signal path. When you post a PNG image you prevent us from seeing that valuable information. It's best to simply cut and paste the HTML link for your report(s) as a part of your post.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Mar-2015, 6:30 AM   #5
bigR

[URL="http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3df1f013b226c9ee"]
[URL="http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3df1f099a66d8622"]
[URL="http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3df1f0d06645166f"]

I couldn't get it to cut and paste so I entered them manually. hope this is what you need. thanks
Old 6-Mar-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigR View Post
You'll need extreme measures for more than 2 or 3 stations.

Last edited by timgr; 6-Mar-2015 at 12:10 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Mar-2015, 4:34 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Thanks for taking the time and expending the effort to share those links with us.

The path profiles make clear that you face significant terrain obstructions. If I was in your situation, I'd be looking for a vendor with a liberal return policy. If I was confident I wouldn't be stuck with an antenna that has little or no quality signal available, I'd try a Winegard HD7084P. Avoid aiming through trees if at all possible.

Old 10-Mar-2015, 1:46 AM   #8
bigR

thanks for taking the time to look at my situation. I actually have a pretty clear shot north from my house without any trees in the way as I live on the side of a small mountain about 3500' elevation. do you think an amp would be worth the cost or do I need to try just the antenna first? if so, what brand of amp would be best? if I can't find the winegard locally is there another alternative antenna that would work as well? is there a specific kind of cable that is better than others? thanks
Old 10-Mar-2015, 2:32 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

An alternate to the Winegard would be an Antennacraft HD1850 or Channel Master CM-3020 (AKA Advantage 100).

The Antennas Direct 'Juice' preamplifier is well built and backed by a company that has proven itself to have the best customer service in the industry. (At least IMO.)

I have used double shielded RG-6 and RG-6/U from various sources, but usually the local big box home centers... Never had any trouble with quality or performance. There's no need for the higher cost quad-shield version of RG-6.

Old 10-Mar-2015, 3:13 PM   #10
Tower Guy

If I were you I'd do everything that I can to get all the major networks. ABC will be the hardest. To get ABC, you'll need the highest gain UHF antenna available which is the Antennas Direct DB-8e. There will be a height that works better for ABC than other stations. Find the optimum height by trial and error by moving the antenna up and down the mast several inches at a time, rescanning after each attempt. I'd guess that your chances of success are about 40%. That antenna may pick up WCYB (NBC) on channel 28 or 29, so a low band VHF antenna may or may not be needed. If WCYB works perfectly on UHF get a Y10-7-13 for WJHL (CBS) and couple them in a TVPRAMP-1R preamp.

If WCYB on UHF doesn't work perfectly, find a Winegard HD-5030 instead of the Y10-7-13 for NBC and CBS. (Try Warren Electronics)
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote