TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Sep-2014, 7:22 PM   #1
ninjadogg

Help with Reception in Tualatin

n00b here looking for some help in getting my antenna setup properly.

Here is my TV fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2430c1d8b9ddd

I've currently got an RCA ANT751R sitting in the attic above my garage, so maybe 12' above ground level?
From there I have a 25' run of RG6 that goes to the in-house wiring. (disconnected the incoming cable, and plugged the RG6 into that junction)

I'm on the south side of a townhouse row that is oriented North/South, with station towers almost directly to the North.

So far, I can receive KGW and KOPB just fine, and mostly decent picture on KPTV, and I want to be able to receive KOIN 6 or KATU 2, as well..

I'm checking on my HOA rules to see if/how i can put the antenna outside (there are plenty of dishes), but for now it's in the attic. The garage sticks out past the living space in those other units to my North, so and it shields it from the elements if I ever have to adjust it.... No major obstructions over the garages, (other than the beams, plywood and roofing material). The tall trees in the alley are gone, but there are those trees in the distance...... ugh, that's probably my problem, isn't it?

Would a Winegard 7964P antenna be any better for UHF reception?

I have a Samsung UN46B8000XF. I scanned both for AIR and AUTO, not CABLE. I just did a rescan, and I got these channels tuned:

KGW
8-1; 8-2; 8-3;

KOPB
10-1; 10-2; 10-3;

KPTV
12-1;

KPXG (ION)
22-1; 22-2; 22-3; 22-4; 22-5; 22-6; 22-7;

KNMT (TBN)
24-1; 24-2; 24-3; 24-4; 24-5;

KPDX
49-1;

I appreciate the help. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alley.JPG (61.9 KB, 592 views)
ninjadogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2014, 7:31 PM   #2
Jake V

Your best bet is to get the antenna out of the attic on the roof with LOS to the north. HOA rules can't prevent you from putting an antenna on your roof. Then can only restrict antenna height and prohibit the antenna from hanging over a neighbors house.

Since your RCA ANT751R is already in the attic, I'd try it at many different locations in the attic to see if you can find a sweet spot.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2014, 8:16 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Hook a straight coax connection from the antenna directly to the TV, bypassing ALL interior and existing wiring. See if that works. If not, move the antenna a foot or three at a time, repeating until it either works or you give up.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Nov-2014, 8:24 PM   #4
ninjadogg

So I "borrowed" an HDTV from Best Buy and tried direct to the antenna with no additional channels received.

I fiddled around and moved the antenna and didn't get much more, but once I removed a 2-way splitter from the antenna, and replaced a 4-way with a 2-way (i have an unused outlet, which is now dead), and I'm getting much better reception.

I just get the occasional issue when the winds pickup and sway the trees in my line of sight. I think I can live with that for now, rather than move the antenna outside. At least its protected from the elements now.

Now I just gotta find a converter box and/or fix my old MCE computer to run with an HDHomerun..... hmmm.....
ninjadogg is offline   Reply With Quote