TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Dec-2009, 8:56 PM   #1
jedidieah

Only get 1 channel

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4105ed9c2e09d6

I bought an outdoor antenna, from the local wal-mart, it's an RCA, says it has 40 mile range, I installed it next to the Sattelite, it is 7 feet off the ground level, and the coax from the antenna is wired into the sattelite splitter box and runs through the sattelite cable runs to each receiver where I've used a splitter to separate the sat and ant signals again. I'm sorry I don't have more info on the sattelite splitter, it has two lnb inputs and and an ant input and four receiver outputs, the splitters at the receivers are 2200 diplexor, I get NBC with a 100% signal, but none of the other channels receive any signal, I have used the signal meter on my digital LCDTV to check them.

Any ideas on what's keeping me from getting the four pbs 4-1 through 4-4 channels, CBS 11-1, ABC 11-2, and a local weather channel, 11-3 and fox, 38-1 from coming in?

Thanks
jedidieah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Dec-2009, 1:58 AM   #2
mtownsend

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidieah View Post
I bought an outdoor antenna, from the local wal-mart, it's an RCA, says it has 40 mile range, I installed it next to the Sattelite, it is 7 feet off the ground level, and the coax from the antenna is wired into the sattelite splitter box and runs through the sattelite cable runs to each receiver where I've used a splitter to separate the sat and ant signals again. I'm sorry I don't have more info on the sattelite splitter, it has two lnb inputs and and an ant input and four receiver outputs, the splitters at the receivers are 2200 diplexor
The big uncertainty here is whether or not the satellite box diplexes all of the TV band all of the time. For lack of any additional information, we'll just have to assume that the TV signals are passing through it with minimal signal loss.

Quote:
I get NBC with a 100% signal, but none of the other channels receive any signal, I have used the signal meter on my digital LCDTV to check them.

Any ideas on what's keeping me from getting the four pbs 4-1 through 4-4 channels, CBS 11-1, ABC 11-2, and a local weather channel, 11-3 and fox, 38-1 from coming in?
Couple of things:
  • What type of antenna is it? Is it a combo UHF/VHF (since you have channels of both type)?
  • Which direction is it pointed? PBS, NBC, and CBS are coming from a compass direction of about 245 degrees. Fox (38) is coming from compass direction of 102 degrees. You might not be able to get all of the channels at the same time because they are spread so far apart. The signals are strong, so it's also possible to get lucky and have the signal sneak in through the side of the antenna.
  • As an experiment, you can try bypassing all the satellite gear and connect the antenna directly through to just one of your TVs (no multi-switch, no diplexor). If the channels come in much better, then there may be a problem with signal loss going through the multi-switch and/or diplexor.

Hope that helps.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Dec-2009, 2:56 AM   #3
jedidieah

everything works well when I don't have the sattelite receiver wired in to the diplexor. and nothing works when the sattelite is plugged in whether the receiver is off or on.
jedidieah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Dec-2009, 7:11 AM   #4
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidieah View Post
everything works well when I don't have the sattelite receiver wired in to the diplexor.
Do you mean that the TV antenna is still connected through the satellite multi-switch, but none of the satellite receivers are attached?

Quote:
nothing works when the sattelite is plugged in whether the receiver is off or on.
The receivers control the LNB polarization and possibly the multi-switch itself using voltages and sine waves imposed on the coax cable. Part of your problem may be caused by the fact that your diplexor setup is preventing those signals from reaching the switch correctly.

Then again, without more detailed specs on the multi-switch, it's hard to say if this has anything to do with the ability to pass OTA signals down the line. If you're able to locate the make/model# for the switch, it might be possible to locate the user manual for it online.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote