Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Nov-2013, 6:52 PM   #1
smajor

Advice for Antenna - Is there hope?

Hello all,

Here is my signal Analysis.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae5f96962926

I'm interested in picking up NBC, CBS, ABC. As you can see they are pretty far off (~94 miles), but in generally the same direction.

We're in upstate NY, so hilly/mountains in my area.

Curious, and thanks!
smajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Nov-2013, 7:59 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Given that your TV Fool report is flagged: "WARNING: Address was only resolved approximately and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates.", it's uncertain if the data actually reflects the conditions at your location.

When generating a TV Fool report, my preferred method is to open the Interactive TV Maps tool. Leave the 'input method' set to the default, 'address'. Then, enter only the Postal Code, and then click the 'Map This' button.

At this point you should have a map displayed, with a movable cursor located at the center of the Postal Code that was entered. Use your mouse to drag the cursor to the exact location you're interested in. In the upper right corner of the map you can select from four view types, I find it helpful to have all four available... The Hybrid and Terrain modes seem to be what I use the most.

At the bottom of the map, enter the antenna height. Please use the highest value that you can safely consider installing. If you aren't sure, then use 25'. FWIW, You can also find the LAT/LON coordinates of the cursor (in decimal form, not deg/min/sec).

Once the cursor location and the antenna height are set correctly, click on the 'Make Radar Plot' button located at the upper right corner of the map. The TV Fool report opens in a new tab or window. You can then copy the URL from the address bar of your browser, for posting to a thread.

I hope this helps, I just want to be sure we give you advise based on the actual conditions at your location.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Nov-2013, 8:14 PM   #3
smajor

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions. I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to my lawn.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae629bebdde6

I went a little conservative with the height at 20 feet.

Thank you again.
Old 12-Nov-2013, 8:24 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

It's hard for me to suggest you spend any non-refundable cash trying to get WCAX, WVNY or WPTZ. All appear to be blocked by distance (curvature of the earth) and mountainous terrain. With predicted noise margins of roughly -18 dB, it's unlikely that you'll see those signals reliably, if at all.

You'd be more successful if you found a friend or family member in an area with better reception conditions who would let you install a SlingBox or similar Home Theater PC solution... That would allow you to use an Internet connection to view the signals remotely.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Nov-2013, 2:39 PM   #5
smajor

Well, thanks for looking. I had a hunch this would be the result.