TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Jul-2012, 6:18 PM   #1
zangu

Question Reception - Thousand Oaks, CA

Hello,

I am in Thousand Oaks, CA. I have a brand new Winegard HD 8200U that I'm using to try to capture signals from about 50 miles to the east (from Los Angeles area). I can't raise the antenna any higher - it's at about 20 ft AGL and has relatively clear line of sight but we are in a hilly area (half way up the hill) mostly facing 90 degrees True. The cable is brand new - Quad shielded RG6 at about 100 feet in length uninstalled. It will likely end up at about 75feet after the install. The connectors are of good quality as well. One TV, no splitters on the cable. Here's the report that was generated by this site. I'm a newbie at this, so I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the chart correctly.

There are 2 additional channels that I would really like to tune in. I'd like tune in Channel 4-1 (KNBC) in particular to watch the Olympics. The wife would also like to watch Channel 18 (KSCI). I can tune in Channel 58-X, so based on the chart generated, I should be able to pick up Ch 4-1. Would a pre-amp work? These are the two brand names that came up in my research: Channel Master CM 7777 or Winegard AP 8275. Any comments as to whether one would be better than the other in this situation?

I can currently tune in (some are from Santa Barbara from the West):
3-1
3-2
7-1
7-2
7-3
9-1
11-1
11-2
13-1
13-2
38-1
38-2
38-3
41-1
41-2
41-3
41-4
58-1
58-2
58-3
58-4

Many thanks for your help!

Last edited by zangu; 31-Jul-2012 at 6:39 PM.
zangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2012, 8:06 PM   #2
teleview

Tv Reception.

I recommend a CM7778 preamp.

16 dB of amplification will push/carry the signal through the coax to one Tv with signal strength to spare.

Can also help to move the antenna up and down and try other locations to find a stronger received signal.

Last edited by teleview; 1-Aug-2012 at 8:13 AM.
Old 31-Jul-2012, 9:44 PM   #3
zangu

Thanks for your reply teleview. Since I am almost 50 miles from the transformers, wouldn't the CM7777 be a better product?

Edit: Realized that I misunderstood pre-amps. Ordered the 8700. Still need to find a way to pick up the 2 channels.

Last edited by zangu; 1-Aug-2012 at 6:10 AM.
zangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2012, 8:31 AM   #4
teleview

Tv Reception.

The transformers are actually named the transmitters and transmitting antennas.

The preamp is to increase the signal strength at the Tv end of the coax.

And in addition to the preamp , making some antenna adjustments if required , is to receive the 2 Tv channels.

RG-6 quad shied has 4 layers of shield , foil , braid , foil , braid.

Inside the connectors on the ends of the coax , look and see if the foil and braid is pushed in toward the center wire that carries the signal.
if so , push the foil and braid away from the center wire that carries the signal.