TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-May-2015, 6:57 AM   #1
Xesvuli420

Db8e suggestions please (first time antenna person)

Hello everyone!

I hope youre all well! I come here today for some advice.

I have a db8e on the way, and i plan to mount it on my roof, as close to 30' as possible. Based on the info below, what can i expect to get out of it.

Also i was told with that antenna not to get a preamp as it will just overload. Is this true? Since the little women is letting me cut off the dish, i want to get her as many channels as possible without wasting money going overboard.

Thank you all ahead of time for any and all input!!!

P.s. I do plan to take advantage of the rotating bays in 2 directions if I can get it to work properly... If so what would be my 2 best headings to start with?

Thanks again everyone!

Xesvuli420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Please post the LINK to your TVFool plot, it contains information that an mage goes not.

You can delete the antennaweb image, it's useless.

The best information we need is "What channels do you NEED"?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Xesvuli420

Which information are you refering to thats not above?

I NEED to pick as many as i can.
Old 11-May-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
Jake V

ADTech is referring to the link to the report you posted the image of. The whole report allows access to additional information.

Re-do your TV Fool Report. Copy the URL of the page from either the URL bar or near the top of the report just after the words: "If you would like to share these results with others, this page can be referenced as:" Then paste the report in this thread.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Xesvuli420

Can you be more specific? Trying to learn here, what other information is valuable?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f095e9353530
Old 11-May-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
Jake V

That's better, but that report says it is only resolved to the block level. It might or might not be accurate.

Try the instructions here and post the link to the report that is generated: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508
Old 11-May-2015, 1:04 PM   #7
Xesvuli420

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f006cbb8e5bd
Old 11-May-2015, 1:15 PM   #8
Xesvuli420

Ignore that, forgot to set height...

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f09ab259d30a
Old 11-May-2015, 1:33 PM   #9
ADTech

Quote:
I NEED to pick as many as i can.
That usually means a very large all channel antenna, a substantial tower that gets the antenna above obstacles such as buildings or trees, a very heavy duty rotor, and a carefully selected amplifier or a filtering network, all of which could cost thousands of dollars.

However, that's usually not practical, so it's necessary to focus.

Given that you've already jumped the gun and ordered a DB8e, I'd suggest the following: Install the antenna so it's aimed generally south west, then splay each panel about 20-30°away from each other and give it a try. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work out exactly as envisioned.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 11-May-2015, 1:34 PM   #10
Xesvuli420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
However, that's usually not practical, so it's necessary to focus.
Fair enough, shall we focus on the equipement ive listed, and the best possible outcomes of said equipement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
jumped the gun and ordered a DB8e.
Where did you get the idea i jumped the gun? It was initially recommended to me, and not my first choice (at first) but after seeing all the other customer reviews i decided it would be a good attempt of a quality antenna that may can help me with my range problems.

Last edited by Xesvuli420; 11-May-2015 at 1:39 PM.
Old 11-May-2015, 2:45 PM   #11
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Also i was told with that antenna not to get a preamp as it will just overload. Is this true?
Yes, probably true. Your first two signals are very strong.
Quote:
Since the little women is letting me cut off the dish, i want to get her as many channels as possible without wasting money going overboard.
We understand the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor), but you have major networks in different directions which makes a solution to your reception problem a little more difficult and might require some experimentation.
Quote:
It was initially recommended to me,
Who recommended it?
Quote:
not my first choice (at first)
What was your first choice?
Quote:
Where did you get the idea i jumped the gun?
You bought the antenna before posting your problem here.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2015, 2:53 PM   #12
Tower Guy

I think that the DB8-e is the right antenna for you. Aim one panel at 5 degrees the other at 130. You'll get all the major networks.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2015, 3:01 PM   #13
Xesvuli420

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
The first time i saw it was on One of those soghts that you put in your address and it spits out recommended setups. TBH it was actually the first antenna type i ever saw when i first started researching this project. I didnt pay it much attention at first until i started noticing everyone was comparing it to oter models, and a lot of good responses were being posted. I have to admit i also find it attractive for a hunk of metal and plastic. Then i started researching just it and it seems most people like it. Plus you can set in 2 directions, which seems like exactly what i need... So i figured why not.

First choice was a channel master HD, but apparently all the good reviews are on a model thats no longer available, and the revision is not getting got feedback.
Old 11-May-2015, 3:02 PM   #14
Xesvuli420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I think that the DB8-e is the right antenna for you. Aim one panel at 5 degrees the other at 130. You'll get all the major networks.
I love hearing that, but can you tell me why you feel that way?
Old 11-May-2015, 3:05 PM   #15
Jake V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesvuli420 View Post
I love hearing that, but can you tell me why you feel that way?
Your NBC and PBS stations are at 6 degrees true (14 degrees on a compass).
The rest of your stations are at 130 degrees true (138 degrees on a compass).

You aim the antenna towards the broadcast towers.
Old 11-May-2015, 3:14 PM   #16
Xesvuli420

Hahaha no im sorry i wasnt clear... I meant why the db8e was the right choice. Good to hear i may have got a decent earl... Wanted to know if rabbit has experience with this model, or if he just said that because i can aim 2 directions
Old 11-May-2015, 3:17 PM   #17
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thank you for posting the last tvfool report; it is much more accurate.

Fortunately, the DB8E that you picked is a UHF antenna, and most of your channels are UHF. It is a high gain (when both panels are aimed in the same direction), high quality antenna, with a narrow beamwidth that is not compatible with signals from different directions at the same time (that's the trade-off). The modification to that design was to allow the two panels to be aimed in different directions.

In spite of some glowing reviews, the antenna with two panels, each aimed in a different direction, often doesn't work. When the same signals from each antenna panel reach the combining point, they can interfere with each other if they are not in phase.

That is why I said it might require some experimentation. This is true for the DB8E, and for combining any two UHF antennas aimed in different directions.

When the signals are in different directions we sometimes suggest a lower gain antenna that has a wider beamwidth and an aim between the two directions. Every location is unique, and requires a custom solution.

That is why we asked for a redo of your tvfool report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset View Post
I know that combining two antennas is very hit or miss, but I want to see if anyone out there can help me out. Here is my TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aee20119ca6d

I currently have an 8 bay bowtie pointed NW towards Pittsburgh, and a 4 bay bowtie pointed NE towards Altoona, PA . Both have a Channel Master 7778 preamp, and run 75’ to a Channel Master DVR+. One antenna is mounted on the front of the house and the other is mounted on the side of the house, I think that the only channels picked up by both antennas are WJAC, WPCW and WWCP.

When either antenna is hooked up separately, most channels have a good signal (close to 100% strength and 100% quality). When I combine the antennas, the signal drops a little bit on some channels but the signal quality on WATM and WTAJ drops down to 0% (with 100% signal strength).

Does anybody have any tips or trick that I can try to pick up WATM and WTAJ?

Last edited by rabbit73; 11-May-2015 at 3:46 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2015, 3:19 PM   #18
ADTech

Quote:
but after seeing all the other customer reviews
Customer reviews are about the absolute worse possible way of selecting an antenna. That could be the subject of its own rant thread....

Quote:
This is certainly a straight forward approach that achieves the usual goal of receiving a set of network although the element facing to the north probably isn't needed. With excess signal margins in excess of 60 dB, those stations will come in just fine from the back, subject to unknown local issues (trees, buildings, etc). My aiming suggestion in post #9 is intended to also get you some of the Charlotte stations, assuming those signal paths are not blocked by unknown local obstacles.

FWIW, it's unlikely that anyone has more hands-on experience with the DB8e than I do since I personally did all the field trials and tests during its development and product launch.

Quote:
When the same signals from each antenna panel reach the combining point, they can interfere with each other if they are not in phase.
This is correct. The two-panel project usually works best when 1) the two panels are nearly 90° from each other (each has a null in the other's aiming direction), 2) you can withstand the combiner loss from the combiner (which is no longer combining the signals from each panel in phase), and 3) there aren't any odd-balll reflections of a desired signal that comes in via the "wrong" panel which can cause signal cancellation. That's why I said " Don't be surprised if it doesn't work out exactly as envisioned " above. Too many variables.

Last edited by ADTech; 11-May-2015 at 3:27 PM.
Old 11-May-2015, 3:27 PM   #19
Xesvuli420

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Now see this exact situation is why ive decided to not get the preamp. I read another situation where person had a antenne that when preamp was ine, his signal dropped to 0, but woth preamp off it came in over 80. Couldnt this posters problem possibly be preamp related?
Old 11-May-2015, 3:30 PM   #20
Xesvuli420

Boy i sure am lucky to have you guys helping me. I suppose its best to just wait till i get in installed then ill post some results and we can go from there! Oh boy im so excited! Cant wait to give dish the finger... Or at least the thumb (turned down)