TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Apr-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
hankbeamen

Hoping for some antenna advice

Hey guys - see here for my signal analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f01cbe40140b

I am using the Mohu Leaf 50 (w/ amplifier) in my living room, which has windows that face a street that runs North-South. All I'm hoping to get are the 4 major broadcast networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox). I don't seem to be having any trouble getting ABC (7.1) or NBC (11.1). I believe I was able to get CBS (5.1) once during a scan, but my TV (Samsung) resets all channels with each scan.

Any thoughts or tips on how I might be able to get these 4 channels?

Thanks!
hankbeamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings Hank,

The mohu leaf isn't ideal for your situation. At 5' your signal access to the major affiliates is 2-edge and moderate trending weak. Plus in the bay area you have the need for high-VHF (real channels 7-13). A leaf isn't the best option for either of these scenarios.

Is 5' and indoors the only choice you have? If you have the option to mount outdoors I might as a first test install an Antennas Direct Clearstream 2V-J3 and orientate towards magnetic 190 (SSW).

As for your Samsung resetting, hopefully someone reading has a solution. My Samsung 40" hasn't ever had that issue.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 25-Apr-2015 at 10:42 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
Jake V

ABC, CBS and Fox are all located southeast of your location. NBC is located south of your location.

I would not have recommended the Mohu Leaf, but since you have it try aiming your antenna to the southeast. Hopefully, when your antenna looks southeast it is not 'looking' through the whole house.

If you get them but loose NBC, move it bit by bit from the southeast to the south until you find a sweet spot. Maybe you can get all of them.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2015, 12:10 AM   #4
hankbeamen

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I'm not wedded to the Mohu - would be happy to return if there is a better option.

Unfortunately, I'm on the first floor of a 4 story apartment building, so 5'-9' and indoors are my only options.

I've been pointing to the south/southwest. Will give south/southeast a shot as well!
hankbeamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2015, 12:50 AM   #5
Jake V

My typo. I meant SOUTHWEST. Sorry.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2015, 6:11 AM   #6
StephanieS

Thanks for the additional info Hank.

Due to the blockages and signal strengths any recommendation would be fraught with variables I can't predict. When you have an antenna indoors you force signals to penetrate the walls and further weaken. I don't feel confident any recommendation would be a guarantee of satisfactory reception.

Even though it is a longshot, but take a look on the roof see if there is a TV antenna already there. In many older buildings, tv antennas may be there. It may give you an in with the landlord to discuss updating the antenna or at least reusing the mounts.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote