TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Oct-2018, 7:24 PM   #1
Homer6

Which antenna?

When we bought our current home eleven years ago it came with 45 foot TV tower, and 10 foot mast, equipped with one UHF/VHF antenna pointed towards two translators 22-23 miles W/SW, and one old style analog antenna pointed N/NE. While the UHF/VHF antenna is in good condition today, the same can't be said for the older analog antenna, thanks to the sun and weather. It needs replaced, but with what type of antenna?

With the analog antenna pointed basically N/NE, we can receive 3-4 channels, ranging in distance from 22-23 miles to 65.7, 71.5, and 73.3 miles; weather conditions play a part in receiving one of the stations. Which comes back to my original question, which antenna can we buy that with pick up the signal from the furthest transmitter from us, 73.3 miles?

Because of the uncertainty of our weather, an antenna with a rotor is out of the question unless said rotor can withstand winds of up to 50 MPH or higher. While we are nowhere below zero all the time during the winter, it can reach those temperatures at times, possibly freezing a rotor.

And because the antenna will be in direct sunlight 365 days a year, any plastic on that antenna must be UV stabilized; really would like to get away from any plastic.

So, do the antennas which claim 100 + miles actually pick up signals from that distance? Do omni-directional antennas actually pick up signals from 360 degrees? The last thing I want to do is spend money and time buying and placing an antenna only to find out it won't work for our location.

As to our terrain, how does flat sound? As to trees, what's a tree? There are no major obstructions between us and any transmitters, so a crow wouldn't have any trouble flying from point A, our home, and point B, any of the transmitters.

With so many choices to make, and some web sites telling me there are no stations within their antenna range, I'm a bit overwhelmed in choosing the right antenna for our location. I could use the help of anyone who happens to be a guru in this area.
Homer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2018, 8:08 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
So, do the antennas which claim 100 + miles actually pick up signals from that distance?
Under specific conditions, a paper clip can pick up signals from that distance.

Quote:
Do omni-directional antennas actually pick up signals from 360 degrees?
Sort of, depends on the actual design of the antenna.

Post the TVFool link for your exact location and proposed mounting height. Then we can get an idea of what might be available for you.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2018, 6:50 PM   #3
Homer6

Thanks for the reply. As usual on a site I don't visit often, I'm not quite sure how to obtain the information you're asking for, but, maybe this link will help: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038c3b037058e

When they're working, the signals to the W/SW are no problem to receive, but the signals N/NW are becoming a problem to receive. And of course the real problem is knowing whether it's an antenna issue or transmitter issue, or even weather. Like many in no-man's land, anywhere, our only other choice would be satellite, which is not an option because we wouldn't receive "local" channels. "Local" being a relative term since everything we receive is relayed from the main station to our area.
Old 7-Oct-2018, 9:41 PM   #4
ADTech

There's really no such thing as an "analog" antenna, they're mostly agnostic as to whether the signals are analog or digital. What is important is to match up the the frequency response, pattern, and gain of the receiving antenna to the requirements of the stations to be received.

All of the translators in Guymon are UHF so there's no need for any VHF reception in that direction. A UHF-only antenna aimed in that direction should be expected to get them provided it's done properly. It appears that most of those are translators for stations out of Amarillo.

The stations to your NNE are a mix of UHF, high VHF and low VHF. That single UHF station, KSWE, as well as the single low VHF station, KBSD, do make it more complicated. The simplest solution would be to have two separate antenna systems with the largest all-channel antenna you can manage aimed to the NNE.

How do you currently manage the two antennas you already have?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 9-Oct-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
Homer6

Both are connected to an RCA pre-amp placed up on the tower. Then one coax runs down the tower and into the attic and to a splitter for the two TVs we have. The power source for the pre-amp is also in the attic.
Old 9-Oct-2018, 11:11 PM   #6
ADTech

How are they connected to the preamp and how is the preamp configured?

Old 16-Oct-2018, 6:56 PM   #7
Homer6

Both antenna have 300 ohm connectors which are connected to 75 ohm adapters, with RG 6 coax running from the adapters to the preamp. I believe the preamp is factory set with the FM trap set, so I left it that way. The RG 6 coax running down the tower, to the attic, is connected to the power/output connector on the preamp. Hope this helps.