TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Sep-2011, 5:47 PM   #1
DennisC

Smile Moving U8000 reflector bars vertically

As suggested by John Candle I attempted to move the reflector bars on my U8000 antenna. I was only able to turn them at a slight angle because they are hitting the horizontal frame bars. I did turn them as much as possible. I also raised the antenna about 8" to 10" as there was room to do that.

The reception increased drastically! Actually I am now picking up the 2 channels I could not get good signals on but I have added 7 or 8 additional channels (have not had time to identify all of them yet).

Would there be additional increase in signal strength if I drilled out the rivets holding the reflector bars and removed them? Of course I would store them in case they were needed in the future.

Thank you John for the suggestion
Dennis
DennisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2011, 6:26 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Yes you can drill out the rivets. If in the future if you would like to put them back on , use a bolt and a nut for each one. Removing the reflector bars makes the antenna into a 2 direction antenna. The reflector bars are there to increase the forward reception of the antenna , the signals that are being received at the front of the antenna are received by the V shaped receptor wires and also reflect off the reflector bars to the V shaped receptors thus increasing the reception. The reflector bars are also there to reflect some of the signals at the back side of the antenna away that could interfere with reception at the front side of the antenna. Removing the reflector bars does reduce the forward reception ability , but , does allow more reception through the 'back side' of the antenna. When the signals are strong at the front side and the back side of the antenna then it's Ok because the , signals are strong. So you might say , I should tell every one this information , And I say , this Requires A LOT of Explaining each and every time.

Last edited by John Candle; 23-Sep-2011 at 6:25 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2011, 6:48 PM   #3
mtehonica

Glad to see this post. I'll be receiving my U4000 today and may be in the same boat. The signals I want to pick up will be 180 degrees from each other.
mtehonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2011, 7:04 PM   #4
Dave Loudin

There is another option if you feel the least bit handy. At this site, you will find plans and kits for bowtie antennas like the U4000 that are optimized for different reception scenarios. The nice thing is you can easily build a screenless one.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2011, 7:09 PM   #5
DennisC

John C. - Many thanks for all of your assistance!

I am sure there will be additional questions in the future but you have helped us go from no knowledge of the subject (or abilities) to close to 40 channels (counting subs) bright and clear.

Very much appreciated!!

Again, thanks
Dennis
DennisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2011, 8:47 PM   #6
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

This question asking post is a continuation of DennisC original question asking post. To get up to speed on what the questions and answers are read what has gone before , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2182. For those of you that are reading this , do not make a new post , this makes confusion and misunderstanding and grief and misery. Ad / continue to your original post and it will be up dated and you will move to the head of the line and every one will be able to understand the information. Saying this does not do any useful because 10 or 15 question askers along the road , some one will do it again.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Sep-2011, 2:28 AM   #7
Dave Loudin

I don't see any problem with this thread. People can post as they like. We can handle it.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Sep-2011, 6:03 AM   #8
rickcain

The old CM4221/CM4228 was much easier in this regard, all you had to do was unhook the screen and it instantly became a 2 direction antenna. I'm so glad i got my CM4221 before the stocks ran out.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote