TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Sep-2014, 6:16 PM   #1
Jocko1

antenna help

Will a Db4e and a Clearstream 5 with a preamp get me a few of these channels.
Im not looking for much, just a few is fine
THANKS
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24349917b1d08
Jocko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2014, 8:28 PM   #2
Jocko1

Anyone out there?
Old 2-Oct-2014, 9:04 PM   #3
timgr

Impatient you are.

Not an industry person, but maybe I can help.

Do you own either of those antennas already? Are you planning to mount your antennas on the roof, clear of any surrounding obstructions?

I ask because I wonder why you focus on the DB4e instead of the DB8e if you are buying new.

The Clearstream 5 will miss VHF low channels 2-6.

I would probably buy an Antennas Direct DB8e and an Antennacraft HD1850 and connect them to the UHF and VHF ports of an RCA TVPRAMP1R. This would give you a single lead-in that combines VHF and UHF. Then I'd aim them both south-ish (168) and see what I got.

To me, it looks like a difficult environment to get all the major networks. The closest NBC affiliate I see here is WNBC from NYC, ch 28 way down the list - but no co-channel interference. I'd probably start with the DB8e and put it as high as I could, pointed toward the big group of stations at 168 magnetic.

http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas...llChannel.html
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1R-.../dp/B003P92D9Y

Last edited by timgr; 2-Oct-2014 at 9:22 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Climb up on your roof and take a photo showing the view towards New York City and post that photo. It will go a long way towards assessing your odds.

You've got a hill just over the state line that's about 500' higher than your elevation. Any signals you get will have to diffract over that hill plus a second one just on the other side of hwy 72.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Jocko1

I spoke with rep. from AD and e recommended db4e and Clearstream 5 mounted on roof with a pre amp, that's why I am I asking.
Old 3-Oct-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
ADTech

If you want a second opinion, you'll need to answer questions asked. There's a method to my madness.

You'll probably get some stations, but line of sight is extremely important when dealing with extraordinarily weak signals, especially UHF.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Last edited by ADTech; 3-Oct-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 3-Oct-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Jocko1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
If you want a second opinion, you'll need to answer questions asked.
The antennas will be mounted on a 14 ft pole on top of the roof which is 30 ft. up. I have a pretty clear line of sight to south and it will be much better in a few weeks when trees lose leaves.
Old 3-Oct-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
timgr

Trees will be an issue. Can you raise the antenna height to above the trees?

I believe you want a clear view of the horizon from the antenna height.

A picture would help.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
ADTech

I added some additional to my previous post after you posted...

My usual assessment is that trees will cause a loss of reliability of both reception predictions and actual reception, depending on the density of the foliage. This is most pronounced on UHF channels, high VHF less so. Wintertime reception is usually adequate but can get lost as soon as the sap starts rising in late winter or early spring. Summertime reception would be sporadic, at best.

The C5 would offer a decent shot at channels 7, 11, & 13 from NYC. KVNV just signed on a couple of days ago (carries ME-TV only at this time) on VHF 3 but I would have no expectation for the C5 to pick it up. If you want that station, then go with a 2-13 antenna instead or add a low-V only antenna just for it.

For UHF, I'd probably pick any of a number of our UHF antennas as a candidate. If you have to tilt the antenna's aim upward to focus on the horizon in the distance, the nod would go with the 91XG. If that's not necessary, then the DB4e or DB8e would likely do well with a slight edge to the DB8e.

A low noise, medium gain pre-amp such as our PA18 would be recommended along with an appropriate mount and coaxial cable as needed.

Because whatever signal arrives at your rooftop is twice diffracted, it will tend to be very weak, scattered for different channels, and layered for different channels. You may find that certain channels come in only when the receiving antenna is in certain locations while other channels are received in different locations. There is no cure for this except patience in trying as many spots as might be feasible, then selecting the best compromise should one be required. I always recommend that each location be thoroughly tested before drilling any holes because, if you call in for assistance, you will likely be told to move the antenna and try again, then repeat as needed. Forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited by ADTech; 3-Oct-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 3-Oct-2014, 1:22 PM   #10
Jocko1

Thanks for that excellent advise!
Old 3-Oct-2014, 4:56 PM   #11
Jocko1

In out up the Clearstream 5 and I am getting channels 7, 13 and 58. Just wating for db4e to a arrive and see what that gets me
Old 4-Oct-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
Jocko1

Pre amp ?

I installed the db4e on top of the Clearstream 5, I connected both antennas into the connector box, I sent this line into the pre amp thn down to the tv and now I am not getting any signal at all. I think I'm losing signal through the connector box. Would it be advisable to have two separate pre amps for each antenna before they join into the connector box. How would I supply power to these pre amps?
Thanks
Jocko
Old 4-Oct-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
ADTech

You do not need separate pre-amps. Such a circuit is very, very rarely needed.

Verify that your wiring circuit looks like this one: https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...e_Antennas.pdf

Verify that you did not leave any splitters or any other device in the line between the preamp and its power inserter if you are repurposing existing cable. Doing so usually starves the amplifier of its power turning it into a brick wall for signals.

If necessary, break the system down, ones step at a time, to the last known basic working configuration, for example, C5-amp-inserter-TV or alternately, the DB4e-amp-inserter-TV. Verify each subsystem works correctly before integrating them into the complete system.

Old 4-Oct-2014, 5:20 PM   #14
Jocko1

Ok i will recheck my connections. Thanks for advice.
Old 4-Oct-2014, 10:54 PM   #15
Jocko1

I rechecked my connections and now I am getting in the channels I originally received just with the c5. It doesn't seem like I got any additional stations with the db4e. I'm thinking maybe once the leaves drop I'll have better luck.
Old 4-Oct-2014, 11:58 PM   #16
tomfoolery

Connect the DB4e (only), no splitters, no combiners, no nothing, and rescan (double, if you have to), and see what you get. Try it with and without the amp, but without the amp means physically removing the amp, not just cutting the power to it.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2014, 1:35 AM   #17
Jocko1

Ok I finally had the chance to hook up just the db4e by itself and I'm picking up one channel only. And the channel I'm picking up is in Spanish. Just my luck, maybe I can hire Sanchez my landscaper to translate for me, still will be cheaper then cable! Just joking I wouldn't him inside my house!
Old 9-Oct-2014, 11:22 AM   #18
ADTech

What is the specific station (call letters) received with the DB4e? Know how many Spanish language stations are in the area?

What pre-amp are you using?

What direction is the antenna facing?

Can you take and post that photo I asked for a while back?

Old 10-Oct-2014, 1:02 AM   #19
Jocko1

With the db4e I'm getting wxtv. I got the antenna aimed at the big city at 155 degrees. I'm using a winegard lna 200 preamp. I'll post some pictures once I can get Sanchez up on the roof for me. I was messin the the damn antenna and I fell off the damn roof and landed right on my a&$, I'm pushing 80 years old so my days climbing up roofs are over after that fall.