TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Mar-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
VeroWing

Help with RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp

I bought a RCA TVPRAMP1R to try and improve my signal strength from some far off towers. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94be0b82ca8e First one I received from supplier had obviously been previously used, and when installed, there was absolutely no change at all on any channel. I called supplier and they immediately agreed to send another. Well, today I received two more of them, and they two showed signs of being previously opened boxes, and showed no difference to signals when plugged in, or unplugged.

I don't know if maybe signals cannot get any better, but there is no improvement at all across the board, and I wrote down signal strengths before and after trying. I suspect that possible supplier keeps sending out returned faulty/returned items, but I don't really know. Is there a way I can check these units out to see if they are actually working properly? I've checked/rechecked/and checked all connections multiple times, and when I remove the preamp stuff and run antenna coaxial direct to tv(s) signal is still the same. The transformer on the second unit I tried got very hot, so I removed and put that one to the side. Third unit is connected now, and signal strength has not improved anywhere, at all, and transformer is warm to the touch, but not hot like the other. The only thing that may be my fault is that instead of going up and down the tower to change out these various preamps, I have switched them in and out about 25ft down from antenna, by the connection to coaxial ground block. Would that far away from antenna stop all improvement to system?

What I'm trying to find out is if there is any way I can test these units before calling supplier again? I'm not sure what to do next, and appreciate any good advice on this.
VeroWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2014, 8:51 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
-----
What is/are the name/names of the supplier/suppliers??

Is one of the names , e-bay ??
Old 11-Mar-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
VeroWing

Uh oh! So is there a way to test it?
Old 11-Mar-2014, 3:30 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

The signal meter on many, if not most TVs reflects the digital error rate, not the signal power received. So, an amplifier may well be increasing the power level, but the reported signal 'strength' appears unchanged because the error rate has changed very little.

The least expensive option I have found for a meter that indicates power level, pre-forward-error-correction error rate and post-FEC error rate is the SiliconDust HDHR type tuner. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820 While it is not calibrated to a standard unit scale, the information displayed is very helpful when judging antenna aim and assessing signal level vs. quality.

Please keep in mind, an amplifier is going to amplify desired signal and received noise equally. So an amplifier is not going to 'pull' more signal from the antenna or air. An amplifier can only 'push' a stronger copy of the signal and noise that is connected to the input down the line. An amplifier's job is to overcome losses in cable and splitters connected to the output of the amplifier. To get the most benefit from an amplifier, it should be located close to the antenna, before the signal is reduced by cable loss.

If you need to boost the quality of a signal, start at the antenna and it's mounting location. An amplifier is not a substitute for the correct antenna mounted in the correct location and aimed the right direction.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2014, 4:19 PM   #5
VeroWing

Thanks for the reply GroundUrMast. I've amended the location of the RCA TVPRAMP1R to just below the antenna. I also located the power supply feed to before the three way splitter, and now am seeing good results from the preamp unit(one of them). In order to do this I have to have the power supply transformer up in the attic to be pre splitter. Don't really like that idea, so as per some info I've dug up, I will add coaxial voltage Blocks out of three way splitter to two of the tvs, and then plug preamp power source at third tv location. How does that sound to you?
Old 11-Mar-2014, 4:39 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You cannot install a standard splitter between a pre-amplifier and its power inserter. If you do so, you deprive the amplifier of the power it needs to operate and it turns into a brick.

You can use a splitter rated for satellite use that has diode steering internally. That way, you don't need any voltage blocks and you can power it from ANY outlet that has a direct connection to the splitter.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2014, 4:54 PM   #7
VeroWing

Thanks ADTech. So it looks like I either get a satellite type splitter, or leave that transformer up in my attic, which I really do not want to do. Would you have a part number or name available for a satellite three way splitter like I need?

Found a couple online I'll try. Thanks again.

Last edited by VeroWing; 11-Mar-2014 at 6:20 PM.
Old 11-Mar-2014, 8:34 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

An IDEAL 3-way splitter, Item #: 117641, Model #: 85-333, is available at many Lowe's stores and is one that I've personally tested.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2014, 8:58 PM   #9
VeroWing

Again, thank you ADTech. Appreciate your help.