TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Feb-2014, 1:43 AM   #1
VeroWing

Fluctuating signal

I recently installed a Winegard HD8200U (no amp) on a Rohn tower at 30ft. I could not be happier with the number of channels I am receiving, especially since most are between 43 to 81 miles away (some even further). http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94ae40ba5f9a I have the antenna aimed at West Palm, 172 degrees (magn), and not currently interested in the signals coming from the Orlando (330ish degrees) area.

My only problem is that one of the main channels I really want (WPTV-DT 172 degrees magn), has a signal strength that fluctuates from the mid-80s to mid-50s and then pic goes out for a bit, then returns. This may happen with other stations, but I've only experienced on this one so far. Should I perhaps get a preamp/amp, or is this just how it is going to be? I'm receiving signals much further away clear and stronger without fluctuating any. Appreciate any thoughts on strengthening this signal.
VeroWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2014, 2:30 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

If you have no preamp at this time, an RCA TVPRAMP1R would be a very reasonable addition to your system. (You have moderate to weak signals available and would be a little or no risk of overloading the preamp.)

Beware that WPTV is flagged as subject to co-channel interference, though it's not obvious who the other station is. But it's clear that you may have some adjacent channel interference from WESH & WPEC. The point is, an amplifier can only help push a copy of what the antenna receives on toward the tuner... If the antenna is receiving interference, the amplifier will amplify the interference just as much as the desired signal.

Another thought/possibility... That big 8200 is receiving L-VHF and FM bands, both of which may be sources of interference. An antenna system that focused on only real CH-7 and up (H-VHF & UHF) may yield more reliable reception in your application.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Feb-2014 at 2:35 AM. Reason: FMI
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2014, 7:45 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14188.

-----

As you said you were going to do , the HD7698P antenna and as I recommended the HBU55 antenna.

Both antennas are designed to receive channels 7 thru 51.

And not the low band channels 2 thru 6.

And not FM radio.

-------------------------------

And Yes install the Antennacraft amplifier.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Feb-2014 at 6:48 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 25-Feb-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
VeroWing

Thumbs up

GroundUrMast, thank you for your reply. I'll install a RCA TVPRAMP1R and see if it will improve my signal from WPTV. Appreciate your explanation too.

One more question. Can I install this just before coaxial goes into coaxial ground block towards bottom of tower, or do I need to go up and install it directly to antenna? That will be tough.

Last edited by VeroWing; 25-Feb-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 25-Feb-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

WPTV's potential co-channel is from Tampa, but, given that it would be coming in off the side of the antenna, it's unlikely to be the issue.

Most likely, the difficulty with WPTV is best attributed to a combination of several factors: It's over 80 miles away and it's on high-VHF. With that kind of distance, there isn't much signal left by the time it arrives at your antenna as demonstrated by the calculated NM of -4.7. What isn't shown is the actual noise floor on VHF in your location which, when combined with some blowtorch FM stations within 10 miles, means that you're trying to dig a very faint signal out of a lot of "dirt".

Realistically, spend $5 at Radio Shack for an FM filter first. Then, add the pre-amp (keep the external filter between the antenna and the preamp) to see if improvement can be made. Lastly, readjust expectations as ultra-long range VHF reception may not actual be reliably accomplished.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2014, 2:08 PM   #6
VeroWing

Thumbs up

Thanks ADTech! I'll give it a go.
Old 26-Feb-2014, 9:39 PM   #7
VeroWing

Regarding installing the RCA TVPRAMP1R. Can I install this just before coaxial goes into coaxial ground block towards bottom of 30' tower, or do I need to go up and install it closer to antenna? That will be tough.
Old 26-Feb-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeroWing View Post
Regarding installing the RCA TVPRAMP1R. Can I install this just before coaxial goes into coaxial ground block towards bottom of 30' tower, or do I need to go up and install it closer to antenna? That will be tough.
It needs to be within a few feet of the antenna. Seems like 6' is the max suggested distance away, but the closer the better.
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
VeroWing

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Ridge View Post
It needs to be within a few feet of the antenna. Seems like 6' is the max suggested distance away, but the closer the better.
Thanks Flint Ridge!