TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Feb-2015, 7:32 PM   #1
pburgh19

Need opinions on my coverage in Merrimack NH - NBC?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f03de8614ada

Today is a big day... I finally ditched Comcast TV. Now, I'd like to figure out if I can get all the major networks from my home in Merrimack NH. I haven't purchased an antenna yet, but I do have a large area in my attic (about 10' x 10') where I could install one.

Based on the summary above, it looks like I might be able to pull WHDH (NBC)? Has anyone from S. NH had any luck? My house is in the woods, but the antenna would be 15' off the ground in the attic. is there an ideal antenna model I should shoot for with the hopes of pulling ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

PS. Suck it, Comcast!

Last edited by pburgh19; 27-Feb-2015 at 7:49 PM.
pburgh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2015, 8:13 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Since you HAVE to get NBC out of Boston, your best bet is to simply focus on Boston's stations and accept whatever you end up with (at least, initially).

I'm not optimistic about your chances with you being both in the woods and in an attic. But, if you want to give it a shot, try an 8-bay UHF antenna since they have high forward gain on UHF, a narrow forward beamwidth, and seem to get VHF off the back than they do off the front.

Aim it at Boston.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2015, 8:15 PM   #3
pburgh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Since you HAVE to get NBC out of Boston, your best bet is to simply focus on Boston's stations and accept whatever you end up with (at least, initially).

I'm not optimistic about your chances with you being both in the woods and in an attic. But, if you want to give it a shot, try an 8-bay UHF antenna since they have high forward gain on UHF, a narrow forward beamwidth, and seem to get VHF off the back than they do off the front.

Aim it at Boston.
Thanks! If, for whatever reason, we're more interested in CBS/ABC when I get around to installing this... does that change my requirements for the antenna?
Old 27-Feb-2015, 8:50 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

CBS is also going to have to come out of Boston, so it doesn't get any easier. ABC is the only major network station that looks "easy".

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2015, 8:56 PM   #5
pburgh19

Thanks again
Old 1-Mar-2015, 2:44 PM   #6
pburgh19

One more follow-up. If I were to put an antenna on my roof, is there a particular model you'd suggest that might be able to pick up NBC/CBS out of Boston? Thanks!

EDIT: I'm also considered using an HDhomerun Extend to tie this in to my HTPC (which, up until last week, was using a Ceton InfiniTV 4 + cableCARD).

Last edited by pburgh19; 1-Mar-2015 at 2:50 PM.
Old 1-Mar-2015, 8:45 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Aim a UHF only at Boston; either a 91XG or DB-8e. Next a VHF only Y5-7-13 at WMUR. Couple them in a TVPRAMP-1R.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2015, 8:52 PM   #8
pburgh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Aim a UHF only at Boston; either a 91XG or DB-8e. Next a VHF only Y5-7-13 at WMUR. Couple them in a TVPRAMP-1R.
Thank you
Old 27-Mar-2015, 4:40 PM   #9
pburgh19

Just a quick update in case this helps anyone. I installed a DB8e in my attic, which is about 20' off the ground. I've got both sides pointed at Boston according to the direction from my TV Fool map. I am pulling all the UHF channels I was interested in without any issues. WHDH is the weakest, but still clear with no hiccups. I have yet to get my VHF antenna, so I'm still missing WMUR.

I tried a CM7777 but it overloaded, so I went with a TVPRAMP1R. This will make it easier to combine UHF and VHF (as was suggested earlier). I'm feeding the TVPRAMP1R in to my HDHR Connect and it works wonderfully.

Very pleased! I'll be adding a 2nd HDHR and the Y5-7-13 soon.

Thanks for the tips!