TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Mar-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Labluvr

Question Antenna Advice

Hello,
I didn't log in until after I ran a couple of the analysis programs for my location. I hope this won't mess things up Anyway, I have a pretty nice (and new) TV (KURO ELITE). Presently, I'm using Comcast HD. I am considering switching to DirecTV or DISH, but haven't pulled the trigger. Either way, I would like to have OTA as a back up or perhaps even primary if the end result is better. So, I need to buy an antenna. I'd like to get all of the available networks and channels that I can as long as the picture and audio are good to excellent. Based on my 2 charts, do I need to have a high quality outdoor antenna, or would an indoor do the job? I'm assuming that an outdoor is usually the best way to go but I really don't know that for a fact. Any general advice or specific model recommendations would be really helpful. Thanks in advance! BTW, if anyone has some advice regarding Comcast vs. DirecTV vs. DISH...please feel free to weigh in

I'll be heading out in a few minutes for dinner, but I'll be checking back in about an hour or so

Here are 2 links to my maps:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c8e0f470d7fd

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c81fc8ba0920
Labluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2010, 3:52 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labluvr View Post
Based on my 2 charts, do I need to have a high quality outdoor antenna, or would an indoor do the job?
Indoor won't get PBS.

Consider an HBU-22 or HD7694P. It may work in the attic.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2010, 9:07 PM   #3
mtownsend

Hello and welcome!

I agree with Tower Guy. An indoor antenna can work for the top 5 channels in your list, but PBS will require an attic antenna or better.

Furthermore, the antenna you use must have high-VHF capability to pick up WTOC (CBS, ch 11) and WVAN (PBS, ch 9). Any antenna with respectable gain in VHF in going to be too big for a living room installation.

If you go with a rooftop installation, the Antennacraft HBU-22 should be good enough. If you go with an attic installation, I'd recommend going up one size to make up for the more lossy/multipath-laden attic environment. That would mean the Antennacraft HBU-33 or Winegard HD7694P.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2010, 7:15 PM   #4
Labluvr

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town over the weekend and away from any internet or email access. Would either of these antennas also help with Fm radio? How about with AM radio? BTW, thanks for taking the time to look at my charts, etc.
Old 9-Mar-2010, 3:27 PM   #5
mtownsend

Channels that are rated for channels 7-69 won't really do very well on FM. FM frequencies are just above channel 6, so if you went with a low-VHF (ch 2-6) or all-VHF capable antenna then you'd get good FM reception through it.

I wouldn't expect much out of the antennas in the AM band.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Labluvr

Once again, my thanks for your help I am aware that I can buy an antenna just for FM reception, but I was hoping to "kill two birds with one stone". Now I just need to find out what I can do for the AM reception. I realize that AM is mostly sports and "talk radio". However, I like the play by play that the local AM stations offer for collegiate football much better than the network coverage. I also enjoy a few of the talk shows. So, if anyone has any advice for improving my AM radio reception, please do so. Lastly, can anyone here give me any advice or opinions for my question about switching from Comcast cable HDTV to either DirecTV or DISH Network? My number one criteria is PQ then AQ. Price is important, but quality would be the determining factor. I do use DVR quite a bit, so any comparisons regarding this capabbility would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help