TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Jul-2014, 7:34 PM   #1
rosarnach

Victoria, BC (Oak Bay, BC) to Seattle WA

I’m looking for some antenna suggestions for Victoria BC (Oak Bay) to pick up Seattle, WA OTA signals.

Here’s the signal analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6ece7d553e0

My goal is to reach as many Seattle signals as I can at 124 degrees at about 72 miles away.

I’d prefer to minimize the size of the antenna out of respect for my neighbours. A CM5020 might be a little much. I was thinking of a 4 bay CM4221 or 8 bay CM4228. If I have trouble, add an amp and see if that helps? Thoughts or suggestions?

I presume with either set-up I would be able to get the LOS signals at 1.6 miles, but would I be able to get the LOS signals at 36 degrees and 27 miles out?

Thanks a million. I've really enjoyed reading the forums and picking up tips from the experts and pros.
rosarnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Please re-run your TV Fool report using this method, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 I'm sure you're going to be dealing with some very weak signals, so let's be sure that your reception report is as accurate as possible.

My first impression is that you'll need to go with nothing smaller than an Antennas Direct DB8E or 91XG. If the H-VHF signals on real channels 9, 11 & 13 interest you, an Antennacraft Y10713 will be needed as well.

Reception depends on choosing the right antenna and placing it where it can receive an adequate quality signal. If the antenna is not receiving a clean signal, an amplifier is not going to fix the problem. Amplifiers are only able to overcome loss in cable and splitters connected to the output of the amp. Having said that, you'll need to use an amplifier that is able to handle the stronger local signals with out overloading. The RCA TVPRAMP1R comes to mind... And it has inputs for two antennas, one UHF and the other VHF.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jul-2014, 3:32 PM   #3
rosarnach

Thanks for the reply and tip on the two antennas that you recommended. It's appreciated!

I've re-run the report with the method you suggested. The new report is at http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c60cbb1ac797
rosarnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jul-2014, 6:29 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Thanks for the updated TVFR. It does not change the situation very much.

If I were in the same situation, I'd try for both the UHF and High-VHF signals from the Seattle market. I'd likely settle on the 91XG + Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R. Be sure to avoid obstructions such as trees and nearby structures. Attic mounting would not be advised.

These are very directional antennas. You may find that the strong local signals would still be received from the sides, but be prepared to treat this combination as a dedicated DX array... You may opt to rotate the system or install a separate antenna system dedicated to the locals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote