TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Apr-2010, 3:11 PM   #1
rci2985dx

New antenna install good or not so?

Hi all, I am new to this but got on TV Fool and was hoping I could understand but I dont quite do so on here I go to ask for help to see if what I am doing is good or not.

I got a 18ft piece of 1 1/4 black pipe concreted 1.5 ft in the ground with bracket at top of house holding this pipe. I then have a 9521A rotor on it but it barly fit as the 1 1/4 pipe was bigger than it says. From the rotor I have about 3ft of 1 1/4 antenna mast so the antenna is like 20ft high.

I bought a HBU-33 VHF/UHF antenna and am in the process of finishing it toght when I get home from work. I guess my question is what do you members here with experience think of my set up and how will in work/What should I expect from what TV fool says? here is the link for What it says for my address.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c8d864102b6f

Thanks for your help,
Roger
rci2985dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2010, 3:59 PM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I think that you will probably be fine when you are all done: I would have used dedicated TV masting, which is easier to work with, but you'll be OK. When installing the antenna on the rotator, remember that in order for the compass points to line up properly on the rotator that the antenna must be pointed due SOUTH (180 degrees)

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 1-Apr-2010 at 4:02 PM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2010, 4:52 PM   #3
rci2985dx

Thanks, can you tell me what channels I can expect from my setup with the TV Fool link I have in my post for may addy?

I never heard of special masting for the setup I did. Where can I get some?

The black pipe is a bit flexy in the middle so I am thinking of putting cement in the pipe to stiffen it.

Roger
Old 1-Apr-2010, 4:56 PM   #4
rci2985dx

Oh, When you say point it south I am not sure what you mean. I know the 9521 instructions say to press buttons for it to go into a setup mode and lrt it go till it is done calibrating. but then I thoght I need to point it north and tighten the clamps.

I guess I did not understand.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 1-Apr-2010, 9:19 PM   #5
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

The rotator comes from the factory pointed and calibrated for 180 degrees (South) when mounting your antenna on the rotator, be sure that the antenna is AIMED south. Once you go through the initial calibration, the compass points on the rotator display will closely match the numbers displayed by your TVFool.com report, although the calibration is rarely perfect.
Old 1-Apr-2010, 9:20 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

As for dedicated antenna masting, look here:
http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.asp...ing%20Supplies

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(pb...px?SKU=3098902

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 1-Apr-2010 at 9:22 PM.
Old 2-Apr-2010, 5:41 PM   #7
rci2985dx

Thanks,I got the totor installed and aligned up south with antenna on it. It is working great. Now I am installing my coax today, useing quad shield coax with thomas and betts purple compression connectors. I got them at work for free, they were throwing rolls of coax away and a mixed box of these collectors so I looked through them and got quad coax and the connectors to go with it. Cant beat that.

I have a few more questions to ask as soon as I get moving on this istall later today.

Thanks Tigerbangs
Old 5-Apr-2010, 3:22 PM   #8
rci2985dx

Wow, got everything hooked up and I am getting more channels/ stations than I thought possible with what I think conservitive instalation. A few stations in Philly only come in good enough to watch only in the morning,I don't know why.

I get 8,15,21,27,33,35,39,43,49,51,60,61 and I might be missing one here. I should write them down. I want to try others tonight and see what I got.

I should have gone a bit bigger an antenna but I am surprised what the HBU-33 picks up.

All I need to do is ground the antenna and coax.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 5-Apr-2010, 4:47 PM   #9
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

I think that the HBU-33 would do just fine for your local stations: had you mentioned that you were looking for the Philly stations, I would have suggested an antenna with low-band VHF capability like the Winegard HD-7084P or a Channel Master Crossfire 3671, since ABC in Philly is WPVI, on actual channel 6, and you would need a different, and more powerful antenna to see it., but it sounds as if you are doing fine with what you have.
Old 6-Apr-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
kb2fzq

Quote:
Originally Posted by rci2985dx View Post
I got a 18ft piece of 1 1/4 black pipe concreted 1.5 ft in the ground with bracket at top of house holding this pipe. I then have a 9521A rotor on it but it barly fit as the 1 1/4 pipe was bigger than it says. From the rotor I have about 3ft of 1 1/4 antenna mast so the antenna is like 20ft high.
Functionally, the black iron pipe will work fine...
Draw back, when it rains, the pipe will rust....
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Apr-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
rci2985dx

Yea been told the pipe will rust, should have used gavanized instead. I am going to paint it with a good quality rust protectant paint in the same color of my siding. It will blend in and not be so ovious.