TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception > Connecting with an Installer

Notices

Old 3-Sep-2010, 4:14 AM   #1
Tommie

Chicago

Can anyone recommend an installer for me. My info is:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a3627fe3214035

I'm looking to install an attic antenna - nothing fancy. The attic is above a 2nd floor about 20 feet above ground. I have two TVs along the southeast corner of my home - one on the second floor and one on the first floor.

I've used a Radio Shack power rabbit ear uhf at times for one set but could never get channel 2 - CBS with that. An antenna recommendation is appreciated too.

Thanks, Tommie
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2010, 6:33 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv reception

Some of the Digital Tv Stations to the South/East are very strong , so strong that an amplified antenna in any forum or type should not be used. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 . . . Here are installers http://www.zipinstallation.com/Antennas_s/125.html , and in the google search box , type in , structured wiring northbroom IL .

Last edited by John Candle; 3-Sep-2010 at 7:30 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2010, 7:47 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv reception

I recomended Tv antenna Winegard HD 7694P
Old 3-Sep-2010, 4:28 PM   #4
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I've used a Radio Shack power rabbit ear uhf at times for one set but could never get channel 2 - CBS with that.
Just FYI...

The "rabbit ears" part of the antenna is needed to get the VHF channel WBBM (real channel 12, virtual channel 2.1).

The "loop" part of the antenna is used to get the UHF channels (everything else in your area is UHF, real channels 14-69).

To pick up WBBM with your antenna, you need to spread the "rabbit ears" apart and extend the elements to roughly half of their maximum length. The ideal rabbit ear configuration is to have the rods spread apart as far as possible like a horizontal line with a tip-to-tip length of about 70 inches. If you do not have enough room for the elements to be laid out horizontally, then you can move the elements up into a "V" configuration. The gain will be a little less in the "V" configuration, but it will still work.

I agree with John's suggestions of NO AMP and the HD7694P.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Sep-2010, 1:27 PM   #5
Tommie

I looked at the Winegard website and they mention an antenna Winegard FV-HD30 FreeVision. It looks easy to use but I'm worried it might not get channel 2 for me. Please can you explain the difference between these two Winegard antennas for me? I did find the 7694P at a local electronics store for $50.

I'm thinking of putting it in the attic myself now. I have cable running up there from a main center located in the basement. The center now has a dish network attached to it. Should I run the cable from the antenna to the basement ( where it is then already routed back to the attic and then down to two rooms for TVs) or attach the existing cables in the attic to the antenna?

Tommie
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2011, 4:40 AM   #6
John Candle

Find a Tv antenna installer

This contact information is for ANY ONE that is looking for a Tv antenna installer. In the google search box type in----> structured wiring your city and state. If your small city does not have a listing then select a large city near you. Here is an example , ---> structured wiring oklahoma city oklahoma. . Also can go to this web site , zipinstalation.com