TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Jan-2011, 1:17 PM   #1
neese2

Antenna help in Waldorf, MD

I am having a lot of trouble finding an antenna for my are. The DTV signals are strong, yet I only get 4 channels. 7.1 ABC, 7.2 WJLA (weather), 7.3 (oldies/reruns) and 9.1 CBS. I am currently using the GE Quantum antenna (24775) with 20 dB amplified gain.
I tried using the RCA ANT1251 with 55dB amplified gain but got no channels at all with this one.
Can someone please tell me what I should be looking for. It's only the kitchen TV. Directly in front of a Patio door. 2nd floor of a town home. The furthest station is about 28 miles from my house.
Attached Images
File Type: png scottsdale.PNG (177.5 KB, 587 views)
neese2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2011, 5:50 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

It's the SAME Reasons that many others end up here at Tvfool. This time period that we are living in on this planet is the time of the AMPLIFIER. People and advertising combine forces to brain wash each other and most every one else on this planet that Amplifiers are the Answer to Every Thing. Read the other posts and understand that the Amplifier Insanity has Infected almost every one. Those of us that know the truth are outcasts. The Crazy Amplifier People would have us believe that we are crazy and they sane. John Candle is not my real name , by the time you find me , if you can , it will be too late , the world will be in total chaos and the few humans that are left will be using sticks and stones and thinking about ways to Amplify the sticks and stones.

Last edited by John Candle; 30-Jan-2011 at 7:04 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2011, 6:37 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Here is the truth http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 , you will find more of the truth in other question askers posts. Do not let any one know that you have read the truth and if you believe the truth you are in real danger , if you are caught they will send you to a re-education camp.

Last edited by John Candle; 31-Jan-2011 at 12:43 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2011, 7:09 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

An RCA ANT-751 is a small outdoor antenna that is actually 'more' antenna than absolutely necessary, but would provide excellent reception for you. If you have no significant amount of metal in the construction of your home, a simple and inexpensive set of rabbit ears would offer very good reception also. As John has already said, you do not need any amplifier, in fact it is likely being overloaded and causing the problems with your reception.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2011, 7:10 PM   #5
neese2

Already tried a non-amplified antenna. it didn't work.
Old 30-Jan-2011, 7:12 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Can you give us more... was it an indoor or an outdoor antenna? What model? What compass direction was it facing, approximately?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Jan-2011 at 7:14 PM.
Old 30-Jan-2011, 7:18 PM   #7
neese2

It was actually the Philips SDV5119/27 HDTV/UHF/VHF TV Antenna. It was facing in the direction of the TV towers in DC, but I don't know exact coordinates. I used the signal menu to see. My TV is a sanyo flat screen with atsc/ntsc tuner built in. It gets no signals by itself.
Old 30-Jan-2011, 7:36 PM   #8
Dave Loudin

Somethng like that would have been my first recommendation. If you're not willing to use a small outdoor antenna, then the Terk HDTVi would be the next model to explore (it's the non-amplified version.)

Something else to consider - you may be getting overloaded by WPRS 104.1, although that is normally a problem for VHF stations like WJLA and WUSA. Adding an FM trap May help.

You should also post the URL for your TVFool report instead of just giving us a picture. When you do so, please use your exact address to run the report (it won't show.)
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jan-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
neese2

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4b43703ec0c
this is the URL.

I don't really want an outside antenna because i don't want to drill holes in my house.
Old 31-Jan-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
neese2

also, it seems as though there is some hatred toward amplifiers, what if a person really needed one... Don't get me wrong, I don't want them sucking my power either, but what if that is what I really need?
Old 31-Jan-2011, 4:39 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

I'll only speak for myself... I don't hate amplifiers, though I'm frustrated when they are sold to consumers who not only do not need them but, will actually get poorer results if they use an amplifier. OTA signal amplifiers have a place in some installations, not all.

You are in a location with strong signals. Not only do you not need an amplifier, you can expect an amplifier to overload, rendering the signals passing through it - distorted and degraded in quality.

I agree with Dave, we would expect a basic non-amplified antenna such as the Philips SDV5119/27 to serve you well. Because it has not, I believe we need to shift our thinking into 'trouble shooting' mode. After Dave L's suggestion regarding possible FM interference http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=685157763 , three other theories come to my mind.

1) There may be a defect with the Philips SDV5119/27 antenna.
2) There may be signal blocking properties associated with your town-home's construction.
3) There may be a defect with the TV.

Starting with #1, does the antenna produce good results connected to another set? Can it be exchanged for an identical unit? Do you have a friend or family member who can briefly loan you a known good non-amplified indoor or outdoor antenna? #2, If the patio door is opened, is there any change in signal strength? (Does the door have a solar filter coating that blocks RF?) #3, If you have established that the antenna can produce expected results on another TV, you are left with the conclusion that there is some problem with the set.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 31-Jan-2011 at 5:03 AM.
Old 31-Jan-2011, 5:33 AM   #12
rickcain

Stick that SDV5119/27 antenna in the attic and your reception will likely improve.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jan-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Dave Loudin

I concur with GroundUrMast with regards to amplifiers. They are a benefit generally to people who have no signals listed in green zone of the table and who have long cable runs between antenna and TV. You have six signals that are very strong, so they will likely saturate the first stage of a pre-amplifier, causing distortion throughout the TV band. You may have noticed a similar effect on a cheap FM radio - the nearby station appears all over the dial.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jan-2011, 1:59 PM   #14
neese2

Thanks, I'll check into the patio door thing. I'll get another non-amplified antenna and see what happens. I think you guys are right about the overloading.