TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Jun-2014, 3:09 PM   #1
Aurock

Cutting cable, Need help optimzing OTA signal

I am cancelling cable service, and going to just OTA.

Here is the signal analysis page for my area.

I ordered this antenna from amazon. I hung it from a rafter in the attic and ran the cable down to the TV. I know it's an indoors type antenna, but since I'm fairly close to the towers in the area, I thought it would be enough. It seems to do a pretty good job when connected directly to my TV, but when I hook the antenna to my TiVo Premiere, I'm having a bit of trouble.

From what I've read, this isn't unusual, the tuner in the Premiere can be a bit temperamental. In one thread on the Tivo Community forums, several people reported improved reception when they do not tighten the antenna cable all the way onto the tivo, or trim back the center conductor of the coax cable. The theory there was that the tuner is easily overloaded by too strong a signal, and that by intentionally making a poor connection the strength of the signal going into the Tivo is reduced enough to suit the tuner.

The main issue I'm having is with channel 4. Initially, I was only getting a few frozen pixels when i tuned to that channel. After reading the thread about the Premiere's tuner, I tried putting an 8 way splitter in line, to see if the attenuation would help. At that point, i got intermittent audio and video with some pixelization. However, that also seemed to introduce some occasional pixelization and freezing on other channels. (In particular, channel 8, during my wife's soap opera. Needless to say, I quickly heard about this.)

I took the splitter back out, and just planned on not receiving channel 4 until I came up with an alternative. I ordered a couple of high/low band vhf splitter/combiners and a few different strength attenuators, so I could put an attenuator on just the low band vhf signal and then combine the high and low back together to feed the TiVo. It sounded like a great idea, in theory... After putting the 2 splitter/combiners in and testing different attenuators on the low band side, it seems that the best signal strength (based on the signal strength meter in the tivo) for channel 4 was with the high/low splitter/combiners in line, but without any attenuators on the low band side. I'm not sure that makes sense, unless the splitter combiners are affecting the signal just enough to help without adding attenuators... Or, very possibly, the results were skewed by the fact that I was testing on a different day, potentially with different weather conditions. This exercise could have been a complete waste of time and money.

As of right now, I left the 2 splitter combiners in line, but without any attenuator installed. I'm getting a consistent signal strength of approximately 55 on channel 4, and 65-75 on most other channels. When I was flipping through last night, all channels seemed to be coming in clearly, but I didn't watch any for an extended period. Assuming that the splitter/combiners aren't actually helping anything, I expect we will continue to have issues with freezing and pixelization as we watch tv the next few days. If so, what else should I try to identify and correct the issue?

I can always try a big 'outdoor' type antenna, I just didn't figure that would be necessary given my location. If I do go that route, I'd prefer to hang it in the attic, if possible, rather than installing a mast outside. My house is a single story home, as are the others around me, but we are located on some of the highest ground in the area.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can offer.
Aurock
Aurock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2014, 4:40 PM   #2
Tower Guy

The Amazon antenna is not designed to pick up channel 4. A VHF antenna should solve your problem. The cheapest is the Antennacraft CS600 at 19.99 plus UPS. You could also pick up a Winegard HD 7010 for $45.71 in Moline at Warren Electronics. Aim either antenna at WHBF. Use your UVSJ to combine either antenna with your Amazon antenna for the UHF stations.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2014, 4:51 PM   #3
Aurock

When shopping for an antenna, what should I look for to identify which channels it will receive? What about the amazon antenna listing indicates it's not designed to pick up channel 4?
Old 5-Jun-2014, 5:49 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurock View Post
When shopping for an antenna, what should I look for to identify which channels it will receive? What about the amazon antenna listing indicates it's not designed to pick up channel 4?
The lack of an "all channel" designation in the specs coupled with the small size. You would have been better off with simple rabbit ears.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2014, 5:52 PM   #5
timgr

Quote:
Good question. I had to look for it.

It's in the manual. The manual says it's a high VHF and UHF antenna. Channel 4 is considered low VHF.

If you look at, say, the Antennacraft site http://www.antennacraft.net/index.html you can see which channels are within which bands.

Notice that the channel number refers to the real channel number on the TVFool reception report, not the virtual number. In this case they are essentially the same, 4 and 4.1.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2014, 5:59 PM   #6
Aurock

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
Good question. I had to look for it.

It's in the manual. The manual says it's a high VHF and UHF antenna. Channel 4 is considered low VHF.

If you look at, say, the Antennacraft site http://www.antennacraft.net/index.html you can see which channels are within which bands.

Notice that the channel number refers to the real channel number on the TVFool reception report, not the virtual number. In this case they are essentially the same, 4 and 4.1.
Ok. I don't think i got a manual with the antenna, (it was an open box item someone had returned). Did you find the manual online? I've looked over the listing a couple of times, and don't see any link to a manual.

Thanks!
Old 5-Jun-2014, 6:02 PM   #7
timgr

Quote:
Ok. I don't think i got a manual with the antenna, (it was an open box item someone had returned). Did you find the manual online? I've looked over the listing a couple of times, and don't see any link to a manual.

Thanks!
It's kind of hidden on the Amazon page. Click on "Extreme Performance" and it's a little blue-lettered link under "Technical Specification."
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2014, 6:42 PM   #8
tomfoolery

Quote:
Did you find the manual online? I've looked over the listing a couple of times, and don't see any link to a manual.
Here's the manual
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2014, 7:06 PM   #9
Aurock

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
It's kind of hidden on the Amazon page. Click on "Extreme Performance" and it's a little blue-lettered link under "Technical Specification."
Wow, now I see how I missed it. That is rather hidden. Especially since I bought the High performance version, so when I click the link from my order history, I get a version of the page that doesn't even have the link.

Thanks!
Old 5-Jun-2014, 8:12 PM   #10
teleview

+=>

The Current Tv Stations Channels that are Transmitted and Received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

------------------------------------------------

Tvfool Channel List and Radar Plot shows the Real Channel that is being Transmitted and Received.

Tvfool Channel List shows the (virt) virtual number , the virtual numbers are Not Real Channels , even if the virtual number is the same as the Real Channel.

Tv antennas are designed to receive Real Channels.

Tv antennas are selected to receive Real Channels.

-------------------

Your location has receivable Real Channels in all 3 channel bands.

However.

WHBF-TV , Real VHF low band channel 4 is also , WHBF-TV Real UHF band channel 47.
So No requirement to receive Real VHF low band channel 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHBF-TV

And.

KIIN , Real VHF high band channel 12 , is also , KQIN Real UHF band channel 34.
So No requirement to receive Real channel 12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/iowa_Public_Television.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So that leaves Only UHF Real Channels to Receive in the Green and Yellow Reception Zones of the Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital Broadcast TV Stations/Channels , Channel List and Radar Report.

--------------------------------------------------

So install a Antennas Direct , DB8e UHF antenna Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception , in the directions of , South South East , South West , West , North West.

Aim 1 panel of the DB8e antenna at about 190 degree magnetic compass direction.

Aim the other panel at about 287 degree magnetic compass direction.

Buy the DB8e antenna at , http://www.amazon.com.

---------------------------------------------------

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html.
Install the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html.
Install the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.
Measure around the chimney and install a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

http://www.ronard.com.

------------

Home Depot has , 10 foot 6 inch length , 1 and 3/8 inch diameter , TOP RAIL , chain link fence , PIPE , good for antenna mast pipe , low price at about 10 dollars.

When Installing the New DB8e Antenna System Start at the Beginning.

Disconnect and Remove All , Splitters , Couplers , Attenuators , Antennas , Antenna Amplifiers , Power Injectors , Power Supplies , and Etc. .

A antenna system amplifier is Not required.

Fo 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a 3 way splitter.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your , Attic , Roof , Building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to Install the DB8e antenna at a Location that has the Least Amount to No Amount of Obstructions of Any Type or Kind in the Directions of Reception Including Your Own , Attic , Roof , Building.

Last edited by teleview; 8-Jun-2014 at 5:57 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.