TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Jan-2014, 2:28 AM   #1
manfjourde

OTA help in Ogden, UT

My report at 15 feet http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9422363d8bec

Okay I recently got an RCA 751 mounted on the roof with a simple j mount. It goes 25 feet to a 2 way splitter then 75 feet to a TV and 50 feet to another splitter and from there 10 feet to a TV.

I have a Samsung UNF6300 and I am getting all the channels I want - 2, 4, 5, 7, and 11. I haven't yet found a way to check signal strength on the TV. Most of the channels come in clear but 11, 4, and 2 sometimes pixelate or the TV states the signal is too weak.

Is the antenna I have not powerful/big enough for what I am going for? Are my cables too long and I need an amp - thinking winegard LNA-200? What are your suggestions to get a more consistent signal?

Last edited by manfjourde; 23-Jan-2014 at 5:21 AM.
manfjourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2014, 6:23 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

You may need a bit more antenna, but run another TV Fool report based on 25' AGL... It's possible that increasing the mounting height a small amount may provide good results.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
manfjourde

Here is 25 feet http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94a72706106f

I'd prefer to not mount if much higher but the numbers looks better at 25. I'm a total noob at antennas so not sure what to look for though, thanks.
Old 23-Jan-2014, 2:47 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
----
The signal strengths in improve at 25 feet antenna height above ground and a little over half of the reception of Tv stations are in the Green reception zone and LOS Line Of Sight reception.

Because you have the ANT751 antenna , work with the ANT751.

Installing the antenna higher will be a big help for reception.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com

--------

Home Depot and Lowes have , Top Rail , chain link fence Pipe , 10 feet long , that makes a good antenna mast to get the ANT751 higher above ground.

To prevent the coax from swinging in the wind on it's way up to the antenna , feed the coax up through the inside of the pipe and out the top of the pipe.

--------

Install a , RCA , TVPRAMP1R , preamplifier.

Connect All parts , (the power supply , the power injector , the preamp) , of the preamp before any splitters.
Old 23-Jan-2014, 2:51 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

There are no VHF stations in SLC, so a uni-directional UHF antenna such as our 42XG would be recommended. If your want that VHF channel from the NNW, the 751 can be aimed in that direction and combined with the UHF antenna via a UVSJ.

Quote:
I haven't yet found a way to check signal strength on the TV.
Try Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2014, 3:51 PM   #6
manfjourde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

Try Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I should have said what channels I want. Nothing on VHF and the rest are 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 13. Getting those all clear would be excellent.
Old 23-Jan-2014, 4:58 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

If I was starting from scratch, with no hardware yet purchased, I'd use a system such as suggested by ADTech. (If I had no ANT-751 on hand, I'd use an Antennacraft Y5713 to 'get' the lone VHF (real CH-12).

That said, conditions improve significantly when you raise the antenna height... Enough to expect the ANT-751 to do very well if mounted higher than it currently is.

Old 23-Jan-2014, 5:08 PM   #8
manfjourde

I got the 751 from Amazon and can still return it no problems. Being the case, you think it best to return it and grab a 42XG and mount it even 5 feet higher would be good?

With the 42XG do you think a pre-amp would help with the TVs that are farther? I didn't really test them because i rarely watch TV on them, although I know one of them wasn't getting as many signals as the main TV.

Is solidsignal a good store to get it from?
Old 23-Jan-2014, 5:20 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

Given the edge path condition of KSTU, Fox... even at 25' AGL, the 42XG is the better choice.

I'd get the antenna up and optimize the aim first. Run this test: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646 then decide if an amplifier is really needed.

Old 23-Jan-2014, 6:07 PM   #10
manfjourde

Would there be any reason to get a DB4e over the 42XG in my situation?
Old 23-Jan-2014, 6:35 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

The DB4e has a wider forward beam than the 42XG... Not a huge difference, but the DB4e may open you to a small bit more multipath interference. If you had stations spread apart, the DB4e would be a better fit. Given that all the signals are from one direction, use the Yagi style antenna.

Extending this reasoning, the 91XG would not be overkill (though close... ). And it's added gain would reduce the chance you would need a powered amplifier to drive a splitter.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Jan-2014 at 6:38 PM.
Old 23-Jan-2014, 8:00 PM   #12
manfjourde

This is making more sense, thanks! The 91XG is only about $25 more. You think it would be better to get it alone or get the 42XG, see how it does, and if needed grab an amp? Either way I think I'll spend about the same?

Also, any reason to get Antennas Direct over a Solid Signal brand? They seem about the same design, just different prices.

Thanks so much for helping with my new knowledge at this.
Old 23-Jan-2014, 8:32 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

I own several Antennas Direct products and can recommend them highly. I have no experience with the look-alike versions.

If you are facing a significant issue of WAF (wife approval factor) the smaller 42XG is quite adequate and reasonable. I don't have an issue with the length of my 91XG that stands proudly above my roof.

Reliable reception starts with (and can fail with) the choice of antenna and it's placement. Up to this point, the antennas suggested should be up to the task. The only antenna that might be marginal in your application is the 751, mounted low.

The 91XG would be a premium solution. But the 42XG is not a comprise at all.

If you want to buy an amplifier and just can't wait... Consider the CM-3410. It's quite tolerant of strong signals. (I'm not convinced you'll need it though. If you do use it, it belongs inline between the antenna and splitter.)

Old 24-Jan-2014, 1:34 PM   #14
manfjourde

Okay little update. I ordered the 42xg. I figure if the 751 does pretty good now the. That will be a good replacement and I will elevate it. I'm planning on grabbing a 10 foot pole this weekend and hopefully mount it all next week.

I'll post updates when it's up and running

As for proper grounding, is there a sticky or thread in that? Can I just run an insulated copper wire down and to the ground because there aren't any grounding blocks or pipes near the antenna.
Old 24-Jan-2014, 2:59 PM   #15
manfjourde

I was able to run the signal analysis on the TV and for the signals I care about there were 2 bars out of 10 (I'm assuming 20%), either way the signal wasn't high. The SNR db ranged from 17.2-18.5 - is that good or bad?

In that case I'm thinking I need more antenna for sure to drive more signal?
Old 24-Jan-2014, 3:35 PM   #16
ADTech

Quote:
The SNR db ranged from 17.2-18.5 - is that good or bad?
Barely enough. Minimum requires is 15.2 dB. If you can get it into the low-mid 20s, you'll be fine.

Grounding tips: http://forum.tvfool.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=20

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 24-Jan-2014, 3:48 PM   #17
manfjourde

So with the new antenna and raising it I'm not in the 20s do you think a different antenna or an amp?
Old 24-Jan-2014, 4:56 PM   #18
GroundUrMast

I believe that the combination of added antenna gain and height will increase raw signal strength, which by itself may provide a linear improvement in received SNR at the TV tuner. But the added height also can put the antenna in a location with significantly better signal quality, which may appear as a very significant improvement.

It's hard to wait for the 42XG to show up...

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Jan-2014 at 8:30 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 24-Jan-2014, 5:17 PM   #19
manfjourde

Waiting is the worst lol. I normally get most items with Amazon Prime and am far too spoiled with the 2 day shipping. I'll pick up what I need for mounting and grounding and get started on that.

So far I'm super impressed with this forums, thanks for all the info and help.
Old 24-Jan-2014, 7:10 PM   #20
ADTech

I always try to caution folks not to drill any holes in their home until they have thoroughly tested reception. Otherwise, you may end up having to patch those holes when you find that an antenna relocation is needed.