TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Oct-2013, 6:17 PM   #1
Hiker Dude

clear reception then no signal

Here is my antenna location report;

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae9cd917541d
For about the past year now I have noticed that WTAJ (real channel 32) sometime after 6:00 PM EST starts to freeze then no signal then back to normal.
As the evening goes on, this gets worse. During the daylight hours it is crystal clear with no issues. ( unless there is bad weather) All the other channels in that area where the antenna is pointed have no issues. 24, 46, 22,34, and 8.
I get a lot more channels very clear as well without rotating with a total of 13 stations
My antenna is outside about 28 feet AGL.
I have a rotor that I use to rotate the antenna ever so slightly to pick up the WPSX stations. These stations seem to elude my antenna unless I rotate it ever so slightly a couple of degrees.
My antenna is a channel Master CM3020.
I have a Winegard HDP269 12 DB preamp installed at the mast with about 10 feet of RG6 cable between the antenna and the amp.
From the PreAmp to my ground tap ( just before it enters the house), is 50 feet of RG6. Then from the ground tap to the power injector inside my home is about 8 feet.
from the house side of the power injector I go to a 6 tap splitter for 6 televisions ---model --Extreme BDS106Vf (5-1,000 hz ).
I removed the splitter out of the picture for trouble shooting purposes and tried two different televisions separately hooked right to the power injector with no improvement.
Any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate the channel 32 ( WTAJ) issue?
I am even open to a new antenna or a new preamp if it will help!!
I could go about 4 feet higher, but in order to do that, I would have to lengthen the coax and the Rotor cables, so I am trying to avoid that.
Everything is crystal clear except WTAJ !!
Beautiful HD clear until night time or if there is a storm, then clear, freeze, no signal and repeats.
Hiker Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2013, 6:33 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Have you tried lowering the antenna? 4" to 6" increments have been known to help locate a 'sweet spot'.

I'd try the extra 4' of height as well. One month's cable bill will buy you a connector installation tool kit and the cable at a big box home center.

I'd experiment with the existing antenna before replacing it or the preamp.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Hiker Dude

I will try raising the antenna first.
I can probably go about 4 feet and replace the existing coax.
I have the tools for cutting/prep/and crimping along with good barrel outdoor type connectors.
But i will need to solder splice and put water tight shrink on the rotor cable to get enough length. I believe splicing it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 9-Oct-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Try lowering it first in 4" increments". Doesn't require any special tools or extensions to the rotor cable.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2013, 3:58 PM   #5
Hiker Dude

I will give that a try next week .
I will try lowering it in small incraments.
Right now I am just about 12 feet shy of clearing the trees that are about 50 yards away. I was concerned that lowering might make more issues. But the suggestion for lowering is easier than raising and worth a try.
Old 9-Oct-2013, 6:40 PM   #6
teleview

Use this for outside splicing , and water proof other connections. http://www.coaxseal.com