TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Feb-2014, 3:49 PM   #1
screenwriter74

Antenna in Attic w/ internal home network panel

I recently purchased an antenna to install in my attic, w/ the plan to connect the coax cable to my cable feed. My issue is that I traced the cable from the external box, into the house, clear across the house, and into my internal network panel in my walk-in closet. I attempted to drop the coax cable from the antenna into the same spot where all the other cables were, but it is in the very corner of my attic so it's very tight and don't have direct visibility, or get directly over the hole that has been drilled. Any tips? Can I get access via the eaves/overhangs. Also, once I get the cable dropped, I have no idea where to plug it in since nothing was labeled when I purchased the house.
screenwriter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2014, 4:25 PM   #2
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenwriter74 View Post
I recently purchased an antenna to install in my attic, w/ the plan to connect the coax cable to my cable feed. My issue is that I traced the cable from the external box, into the house, clear across the house, and into my internal network panel in my walk-in closet. I attempted to drop the coax cable from the antenna into the same spot where all the other cables were, but it is in the very corner of my attic so it's very tight and don't have direct visibility, or get directly over the hole that has been drilled. Any tips? Can I get access via the eaves/overhangs. Also, once I get the cable dropped, I have no idea where to plug it in since nothing was labeled when I purchased the house.

Did you try fishing upwards through the hole w/ something and then tying to that and pulling the cables downwards?
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2014, 4:41 PM   #3
screenwriter74

Very limited space/visibility through the top of the panel. I can see the hole w/ a mirror but not very well because of the angle and the number of cables running down. I can tell that the hole is only large enough to accommodate the existing cables and perhaps one more. I was trying to use an old fishing pole to "push" the coax through with no success. If I had better access/visibility, I might be able to make it work.
Old 27-Feb-2014, 5:02 PM   #4
Stereocraig

Yes, those tight quarters, are not very accommodating.
Have you considered disconnecting an existing cable and attaching to it w/ electrical tape?
Even though there may be enough room for the extra cable, you may need to wait until last, before putting on the F connector.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2014, 5:44 PM   #5
screenwriter74

Antenna Coax internal network panel

Nothing is labeled in my internal network panel and I'm trying to connect my antenna coax to the cable feed that runs throughout my house. I've attached a picture. Any ideas how/where I should plug in the antenna cable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140227_122231 (768x1024).jpg (436.1 KB, 740 views)
Old 28-Feb-2014, 1:35 PM   #6
screenwriter74

Antenna in Attic w/ internal home network panel

Nothing is labeled in my internal network panel and I'm trying to connect my antenna coax to the cable feed that runs throughout my house. I've attached a picture. Any ideas how/where I should plug in the antenna cable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140227_122231 (768x1024).jpg (436.1 KB, 741 views)
Old 28-Feb-2014, 5:49 PM   #7
stvcmty

It looks like you have a QND88P http://www.security.honeywell.com/hs...nel/50028.html
http://www.smarthome.com/8680D88P/Qu...-Jacks-/p.aspx

The coax cables plugged into the yellow ports should go to rooms with TV jacks. Any unused jacks should have a terminator installed (either in the room a cable runs to or at the distribution module.)

On the back of the module there should be an input to the 8 way splitter, that is where your antenna coax should attach. Are you using a preamp, or is an amplifier built into your antenna? If so, the power inserter needs to go between the distribution module and the coax from the attic.

Do you or did you have cable? With the 8-way distribution module, the 2 way splitter is surprising to see. Do you currently have cable internet?

How many TV’s do you have? An 8-way splitter may be overkill if you don’t have 5 or more TV’s.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2014, 3:48 PM   #8
screenwriter74

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvcmty View Post
It looks like you have a QND88P http://www.security.honeywell.com/hs...nel/50028.html
http://www.smarthome.com/8680D88P/Qu...-Jacks-/p.aspx

The coax cables plugged into the yellow ports should go to rooms with TV jacks. Any unused jacks should have a terminator installed (either in the room a cable runs to or at the distribution module.)

On the back of the module there should be an input to the 8 way splitter, that is where your antenna coax should attach. Are you using a preamp, or is an amplifier built into your antenna? If so, the power inserter needs to go between the distribution module and the coax from the attic.

Do you or did you have cable? With the 8-way distribution module, the 2 way splitter is surprising to see. Do you currently have cable internet?

How many TV’s do you have? An 8-way splitter may be overkill if you don’t have 5 or more TV’s.
@stvcmty: thanks for the reply. No amplifier that I know of. I did have cable at one time and cable internet. I am planning to go back to cable internet since it is faster and I'm streaming alot. I have 2 TV's now and may add a third down the road.
Old 3-Mar-2014, 4:07 PM   #9
screenwriter74

Thank you for the response. I did have cable TV and internet before Uverse. Going back to cable internet once I get the antenna hooked up since it's faster and we do a lot of streaming. I have 2 TV's currently and may add a third in the future. Not sure why the splitter was ever installed. There is no amplifier unless there is one in the module. If I plug the antenna coax into the primary input, how will the cable internet function? Thanks again.
Old 4-Mar-2014, 3:06 PM   #10
stvcmty

In my opinion in general, a passive 8 way splitter being used for 2 or 3 TV’s adds excessive loss to a system (this could be true or not depending on what is feeding the splitter.)

If you have 2 TV’s now, and possibly will add a 3rd one in the future, I would get a 4 way splitter. The lead from the antenna in the attic would go to the “in” on the 4 way splitter. The coax’s to the rooms with TV’s would go to the outs on the splitter. The unused outputs on the splitters should be terminated with 75ohm terminators. I suggeste a 4 way splitter because you may add a 3rd TV in the future, and most 3 way splitters are a 2 way split followed by another 2 way split, so one port has more signal than the others, where a 4 way splitter will have 4 ports with the same signal level on all of them. Unless you need one port with more signal than the others, the 4 port is nice because it gives you room to add a 4th TV later.

Cable service for cable internet must be separate from OTA HDTV. The cable modem should be attached directly to where the cable company’s signal comes in. There should be no signal connection between cable and antenna.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote