TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Sep-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
slackerj
A/V Squad 1967

Question What am I Doing Wrong???

running a winegard hd8200u with winegard ap-8700 pre-amp. to test I have mounted it 12' on a pole aimed at mag 278. the weakest signal I am picking up is wpxn-tv 31.1. my problem is why am I not picking up wcbs-dt (2.1) or wnbc (4.1)? link to report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...14f320d6ff9cdb
slackerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Sep-2011, 1:08 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

First thought is, make sure the FM trap is optioned to the "Fixed Trap In" position. Channel 28 & 33 are not usually the victims of FM interference, but if you have aviation navigation aids nearby you might be able to keep those signal at bay using the trap filter.

Your antenna is pointed right at WALK-FM and WBLI-FM each with signal levels at about -10 dBm. It may be worth adding an external FM trap just on "suspicion", to test.

After that, can you move the antenna up or down, or to another location? some times, a small change can produce surprisingly different reception conditions.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 16-Sep-2011 at 1:20 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Sep-2011, 1:18 AM   #3
No static at all

I see a couple things that may be limiting reception.

First off, the 8700 pre amp is not really ideal for your situation. It is designed for far suburban/near fringe areas & is likely overloading. The net result is loss of some or all of the weakest stations as they are overwhelmed by the stronger local channels.

The 2nd thing is the close by FM stations as they may also overwhelm the preamp. The FM trap on the preamp may not be enough to address the situation. The 8200 is also a great FM antenna, which multiplies the problem.

I would start by connecting the antenna directly to 1 TV & report back your findings.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Sep-2011, 1:36 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

The amplifier suggested back in August would have handled strong signals better, but would likely need an external FM trap between the antenna and amp input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
If you are able to safely mount at 50' there is more signal available to you. A Winegard HD7698P pointing at 265° paired with an Antennas Direct CPA019 preamp will provide the networks you named plus many others.

Old 16-Sep-2011, 1:37 AM   #5
slackerj
A/V Squad 1967

no change

results the same without pre-amp. connected to sony bravia. maybe when roof mounted I will pick up stations. will be 10' higher
Old 16-Sep-2011, 1:39 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerj View Post
results the same without pre-amp. connected to sony bravia. maybe when roof mounted I will pick up stations. will be 10' higher
10' can make a lot of difference sometimes.

Old 16-Sep-2011, 1:43 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Your antenna is pointed right at WALK-FM and WBLI-FM each with signal levels at about -10 dBm. It may be worth adding an external FM trap just on "suspicion", to test.
That's a good suggestion. Also tune the variable trap to 90.1, WUSB.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Sep-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
slackerj
A/V Squad 1967

Thumbs up sucess

put the rig up on the roof today and after I scanned for channels there they were. cbs (2.1) and nbc (4.1). that ten feet made the difference .