TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Dec-2010, 7:44 PM   #1
ltfulton

New Antenna...which one?

Could some please help me with which antenna I can get the most channels and best reception?

I think I have tagged the page with my address but if it does not work I will repost!

Thank you all in advance!!

Lisa :-)

my address is:

6285 Saddlebrook Loop
Everton AR 72633

copied and pasted the page:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a3049dfcc6f8

Last edited by ltfulton; 8-Dec-2010 at 8:04 PM. Reason: more info
ltfulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2010, 7:59 PM   #2
ltfulton

Also,...can you watch different channels on different tvs...

Thank you!
Old 8-Dec-2010, 9:03 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Thank you for showing your Exact address so we can go to >>Start MAPS<< and evaluate the situation. I went there and raised the outdoor antenna height to 40 feet. That height made a Huge positive difference in the reception of available channels , so now can receive NBC , ABC , CBS , MyNetwork , FOX , PBS. The other helpers will chime in with more information.

Last edited by John Candle; 9-Dec-2010 at 4:11 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2010, 9:13 PM   #4
ltfulton

Thank You, Thank You.....after reading through this forum I was excited to see reply from you!! You are loads of info..lol

Does it matter which antenna I get? Also, on the height of the antenna..is that ground level or measuring from roof top? Sorry, if I sound uneducated in this but, I am!

Last thing, can we watch different channels on different tvs?

I have visited the Radio Shack store but I could not get any answers...I am gleaning more info here!!

Thank you so much for your reply!!

Lisa
Old 8-Dec-2010, 9:28 PM   #5
John Candle

How many Tv's will be connected ? . The transmitters that you will like to receive are scattered around in a pattern that is not the best. The Tv antenna reception height is measured from the ground up. Yes it does matter the type and kind of outside antenna to get. Slow down and find out what the other helpers have to say.
Old 8-Dec-2010, 9:30 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
I raised the outdoor antenna height to 40 feet. That height made a Huge positive difference in the reception of available channels , so now can receive NBC , ABC , CBS , MyNetwork , FOX .
Winegard HD7698P antenna at a minimum height of 30'. AP8700 preamp. No rotor. Split it to about 4 TV's before a problem arises. You can ignore all the other directions, they are duplicate networks and/or LPTV stations.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2010, 9:42 PM   #7
John Candle

What direction is that ? And the low power transmitters and translator transmitters are Not All Duplicates. I am looking them up now. Fast draw answers are not good answers.

Last edited by John Candle; 8-Dec-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 8-Dec-2010, 9:45 PM   #8
ltfulton

Sorry, slowing down... lol

I do appreciate any and all help!! I am getting nervous about breaking the news to my husband and teenage boys that I am shutting off Directv!!

Lisa
Old 8-Dec-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
John Candle

Looked up these low power and translator transmitters. K26GS digital has these sub channels - Tuff Tv - This Tv - My Family Tv - RTN Retro Tv Network. . K23DU transmitting on digital 21 - Religion . . KTKO 8 digital - America One Tv . . K54FH transmitting on digital channel 47 - Religion . . K07XL America One Tv - Religion - Local Programing . . K17DL - Branson Visitors Tv , the network programing is The CW. . You can find out what shows/programing is on these networks by typing them in the google search box. Also read and under this about Real digital channels and Virtual digital channels http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 . This will keep you busy for awhile. http://www.tufftv.com Lucky you , you live at one of the few places around the united states that has a large number low power and translators with Good Programing. Most low power and translator stations have home shopping channels , religion , spanish language channels that are filled with violence.

Last edited by John Candle; 9-Dec-2010 at 4:13 AM.
Old 9-Dec-2010, 7:04 AM   #10
John Candle

How many Tv's will be connected ? Due to the wide and diverse directions of the Tv transmitters that are around your reception location , and channels that are being transmitted from the transmitters , this is a challenge.
Old 9-Dec-2010, 1:18 PM   #11
ltfulton

I would like to hook up at least 3 tvs if possible! The main channels I would like to receive would be the 3 major networks; NBC, ABC, CBS.

I apologize for my ignorance but I am trying to gather as much info as I can before I dive into this purchase. There are so many choices in antennas. I think I will need the converter box for all three tvs.

My house is located between two small hills (we live in the Ozarks) with MANY trees in the yard. I am afraid when the trees leaf out that I will lose a lot of signal (is that the right word?) I am going to try and insert pictures of my house and yard to maybe give some idea...these were the best pictures I had already downloaded....sorry!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=f4bf6f0606

Thanks again for all the help

Lisa
Old 9-Dec-2010, 1:21 PM   #12
Tower Guy

Quote:
K26GS digital has these sub channels - Tuff Tv - This Tv - My Family Tv - RTN Retro Tv Network.
Reception of these channels would be nice, but triples the complexity of the antenna system. You'd need a separate UHF only antenna and a channel 26 Jointenna.

The main antenna would be aimed north. The K26GS antenna would be aimed at 250°. The Jointenna should go after the preamp power supply but before the splitters.
Old 9-Dec-2010, 6:05 PM   #13
Dave Loudin

Lisa, just to echo TowerGuy's recommendations, installing a Winegard 7698P antenna at a height above ground level of at least 30 feet is the way to go. Install his recommended preamplifier as close to the antenna as possible (right on the mast, if possible.) The preamp's power supply can be installed between a TV and the splitter or between the splitter and the antenna (recommended.) The power supply injects DC onto the coax that drives the preamp.

Each TV can tune to whatever channel they want - you are feeding the same mass of RF signals to all of them. Having multiple TVs is the key reason to avoid using a rotator - each TV would be limited to the signals in the direction the antenna is pointing.

One quality control matter: I recommend you use the "start MAPS" option to verify that the analysis tool is placing your location at the right spot on your street. You'll get a Google map with a red icon that points to where it thinks your location is. Hopefully it is right, but if it isn't, drag the pointer to the right place. Switch to satellite view and zoom in. Based on some signal plots, if you have to move the pointer east, then predictions will be worse.

Once you get set to the right point, try different antenna heights until the NMs for the signals from each of the networks pops up to over 10. Click the radar plot button and share that report with us (if it's different than what we've seen already.)

Good luck!

PS, if the pointer is in the right spot given your address, then be sure to mount as far south and west as you can. Going in those directions will improve the signal strenghts available from the stations to the north of you.

Last edited by Dave Loudin; 9-Dec-2010 at 6:14 PM. Reason: Added PS
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
John Candle

I recommend one antenna Winegard HD7698P antenna pointed north and a Winegard HDP-269 preamp. The local transmitters to the south and east of you are very strong and will be received by the antenna. The HDP-269 preamp has high input capability so as to not be overloaded by the strong local channels and will also amplifiy the weaker channels to the north. . http://www.solidsignal.com
Old 10-Dec-2010, 5:30 PM   #15
ltfulton

Thanks to each and everyone of you!! I appreciate it very much. I will be getting the antennas next week!

Can we use the cables that are being used for our Dish Satellite or will we need to get all new cable?

I am just full of questions aren't I? LOL

Thanks a gain,
Lisa
Old 10-Dec-2010, 5:50 PM   #16
Tower Guy

Quote:
I recommend one antenna Winegard HD7698P antenna pointed north and a Winegard HDP-269 preamp.

I'm not concerned about overload of an AP-8700. The strong channel 26 will be off the side of the antenna and hence attenuated 20 db or so.

A HDP-269 split three ways has too little takeover of the TV set noise figure. It probably won't receive the weakest channels from the north unless the antenna is raised to about 50'.
Old 10-Dec-2010, 10:56 PM   #17
John Candle

Yes use the coax that is used with the dish. The coax should be wired starting from one location and out from that location a coax goes to each Tv location. At the starting point of the coaxes , use a plain splitter for how many tv's will be connected 2 or 3 , a 2way or a 3way splitter. For the reception of NBC , ABC , CBS , etc. to north. Point the antenna to the north. The Tv antenna should be 40 feet high from ground level. Go to the >>Start MAPS<< part of tvfool and put in different antenna heights , the NM(dB) signal strength needs to be positive 10 or more and the higher the signal strength the better. If the antenna is 30 feet or lower the signal strength drops off very fast into the negative numbers.
Old 10-Dec-2010, 11:28 PM   #18
John Candle

Here is a Tv Guide. http://www.titantv.com . TitanTv Guide is through and comprehensive. To the point of being on the optomistic side. TitanTv Guide shows the parent stations and the translators that carry the parent stations. TitanTv Guide shows stations that are to far away to receive. The reason it is done this way is it is better to be optomistic then pessimistic and not show the channel. Close to the top center of the home page a box says channel line up , select and click on broadcast stations. TitanTv Guide uses the Virtual Tv Channel Numbers.
Old 12-Dec-2010, 8:22 PM   #19
elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltfulton View Post
Sorry, slowing down... lol

I do appreciate any and all help!! I am getting nervous about breaking the news to my husband and teenage boys that I am shutting off Directv!!

Lisa
Well Lisa, best of luck with that! Some find it hard to do, but we are going on a year w/o sat service now. Sometimes going the antenna route isn't the easiest, but it can save some cash for you, even if you upgrade stuff like I have. I now have two antennas and two dual tuner HDHomeruns, which are feeding my "home theater" PC for DVR and viewing duties. (yeah, I'm a bit geeky) Even with what I've spent on antenna related upgrades, I'm still saving vs sat service. The beauty is that those are one-time costs! We get all of the major networks now, plus the subchannels have tripled our PBS channels, which we watch a good bit of. We did pick up Netflix service for @ $11/mth to get blu-rays by mail plus streaming.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote