TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Aug-2016, 7:44 PM   #1
NCMike

Help reaching two different markets

Hello all,

First let me say thanks to the members that monitor this forum and provide guidance. I have been reading/searching the forums for the past 3 weeks trying to learn as much as I can and there seems to be a handful of dedicated members always willing to help. THANK YOU!

I am basically starting from scratch building my OTA antenna system. Assume I have no equipment so I will be purchasing everything new, hopefully from Amazon(gotta justify that prime membership).

I plan on utilizing multiple HDHomeRun Connects to send my OTA tv signals to apple TV 4s setup at each tv in the house. My house is already hardwired with CAT6 to each TV. I already have a Mohu Sky connected to a HDHomeRun Connect and am able to view some channels using this setup. The Mohu sky will be returned as it was an impulse buy and the company is local to me so its no problem returning it. Also want to add that I do not want a rotor. I plan on using an app for OTA channels, sling tv app, netflix, hulu, etc.. on the apple TV4 for all our viewing. A rotor would not be wife approved.

Here is my TVFool report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb2a6be10b83

I would like to be able to view the Raleigh Market AND the Greenville/New Bern market and pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox from both areas. I only need one of the PBS stations. This may seem weird but college sports vary greatly depending on location and we own vacation property at the beach and would like to watch the local news there during tropical storms/hurricanes/severe weather.

I have chatted with Antennas Direct on their website and they have recommended a solution with all Antennas Direct products but I wanted to see if anyone had anything else to offer. AD suggested a DB8e with one panel pointed toward 305 degrees and the other panel pointed between 115 & 131 degrees. This I agree with and think may work for picking up UHF channels in both markets. They also suggested a Clearstream 5 pointed between 115 and 131 to pick up the VHF channels in the Greenville/New Bern market and just hope that between the two antennas that channel 11 from Raleigh will be picked up either from the DB8E because its so strong or that the Clearsteam 5 will pick it up from the backside. They also recommended their juice vhf/uhf amp and their vhf/uhf antenna combiner both of which I think are needed and I am fine with.

So does anyone have any other suggestions or guidance that will get me what I want? My biggest concern is with the VHF channels, I wonder if there is a better antenna suited for this. As far as mounting goes, I live in the middle of a 16 acre field and tallest peak on my house is around 40ft. Trees should not be a problem. Thanks and looking forward to your feedback!
NCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2016, 12:44 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Call them back and say you want a DB4e with an "old-style" VHF kit to attach to it. That second item has to be ordered over the phone as it's limited to whatever stock is left at the office.

Remove the reflectors and install the VHF kit to the back of the mast mounting bracket.

Bi-directional UHF/VHF, less than half the cost. Should work fine as long as Murphy doesn't show up.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
NCMike

That's definitely a much less complicated solution. I assume I still need the JUICE amplifier. What is the difference between the JUICE amplifier vs the PA18 amp and is one better suited for my setup vs the other?
Old 24-Aug-2016, 1:42 PM   #4
ADTech

You do not need any amplifier. Do NOT use one unless directed to do so.

Quote:
What is the difference between the JUICE amplifier vs the PA18 amp
The PA18 is a deep fringe only model, it can not be used in any situation where there are strong signals. The Juice may be used in ANY situation where a preamp is required. There are other differences, some subtle, some not so much including a cellular filter in the Juice, but they're otherwise similar enough.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 24-Aug-2016, 2:25 PM   #5
rickbb

I second that advice.

I have a similar report as yours and a 4 bay bow tie with no reflector aimed at your easterly stations will pick up those and the westerly ones from the back of the antenna just fine.

Barring any trees, buildings or other objects that block the signal path of course.

Adding the VHF element will pick up 11 out of Durham as well.

You have too many close strong signals to need a pre-amp. It will overload your tuner and make things worse, not better.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2016, 5:28 PM   #6
NCMike

Will the VHF kit pick up real channels 10 and 12 also to the east?
Old 25-Aug-2016, 12:14 AM   #7
ADTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMike View Post
Will the VHF kit pick up real channels 10 and 12 also to the east?
If the signal forecasts are accurate enough and Murphy doesn't show up, they should work.

Old 25-Aug-2016, 1:50 AM   #8
NCMike

I did some more testing with my mohu sky 60 today in my attic and was able to pick up all the uhf and vhf channels that I want. some of the channels are pixelated and drop in and out. My roof has the aluminum type foil backing on it so I know thats killing my signal in the attic. I now feel confident that the db4e and the vhf kit mounted outside on the roof and an additional 10ft higher will get the job done and will order first thing in the morning. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 25-Aug-2016, 3:39 PM   #9
NCMike

Placed my order today, the guy on the phone seemed confused when I asked for the "old style VHF Kit". He first confirmed that the vhf kit fit the DB4e and that it snaps on. I told him again I was not referring to the VHF kit that is on the website and that I needed the old style that can only be ordered over the phone. My invoice says I got part # VHF-1, hopefully that's what ADTech recommended. I went back and forth with the guy a few minutes trying to confirm I was getting the old style.
Old 26-Aug-2016, 12:14 AM   #10
ADTech

If you got the clip-on, you got the "new" style. Not what I recommended, but it will likely do just fine anyway. If it doesn't let me know.

Old 26-Aug-2016, 1:08 PM   #11
NCMike

I'll report back once everything is received. Thank you again for your help and advice. Now I have to figure out how I am getting to the peak of my roof safely. Its about a 60 degree angle on the roof there. Will probably have to rent a lift.
Old 2-Sep-2016, 6:23 PM   #12
NCMike

I have received everything but due to the weather/tropical storm that will be affecting us today and tomorrow I will probably not be able to roof mount until Monday or Tuesday. However that did not stop me from testing in the attic and 2nd floor of my home. I achieved best results by placing the DB4e with relectors removed and the vhf kit facing around 120 degrees out a 2nd floor window. With the window open I get all the channels that I wanted. I feel confident that once mounted on the roof another 20ft up I will be completely satisfied.

ADTech, I did receive the new snap on VHF kit from antennas direct and not the "old style" even though I asked multiple times for the "old style" as directed. I currently have the new style vhf kit zip tied to the mast. From google image searches it looks like the old style mounts to the mast with hardware and not zip tied. Is this true? Is there any way you can help me get the "old style" vhf kit? I am mounting this 40ft up on a very steep roof where I will have to rent a lift to get to. Id like to limit my trips up there for adjustments.
Old 2-Sep-2016, 8:12 PM   #13
ADTech

Send me your order number via private message and I'll see if I can get one out on Tuesday. We're down to only about two dozen of them left, so they'll soon be gone.

Old 6-Sep-2016, 10:16 PM   #14
NCMike

Did some more testing with my temp setup today. Its amazing how much the foiled back sheeting on top of the house cuts down on the signal. I put the DB4e w/vhf kit and no reflectors in the front yard on a 5 gallon bucket and picked up 49 channels with the HDHomeRun Connect. Looking forward to permanently mounting on the roof once I can get some help from some friends. Don't feel comfortable going up there by myself.