TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Mar-2010, 6:45 PM   #1
chayward

Need an antenna for local station

I have recently subscribed to Directv and have been denied a waiver claim to pick up CBS. I think the reason for this is that the local affiliate is only 51 miles away and so I should be able to pick them up with an antenna.

Here is the link for my address:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c85aeb58ddd2

It says I could get away with an indoor antenna and I wanted to make sure that would work from somebody that is familiar with antennas as I am not.

Any help on which antenna may be a good choice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chad
chayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
kb2fzq

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayward View Post
I have recently subscribed to Directv and have been denied a waiver claim to pick up CBS. I think the reason for this is that the local affiliate is only 51 miles away and so I should be able to pick them up with an antenna.

Here is the link for my address:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c85aeb58ddd2

It says I could get away with an indoor antenna and I wanted to make sure that would work from somebody that is familiar with antennas as I am not.

Any help on which antenna may be a good choice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chad
Channel 11 is a VHF station, at 51 miles out, I think you would be hard pressed to get a reliable signal with an indoor antenna, being that digital TV is so finicky. Of course you could always try it and see what you get...I have several VHF stations 53 miles out and the only way I get them without numerous drop outs is with some high gain antennas on the roof.
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2010, 1:04 PM   #3
Dave Loudin

With an antenna height of 20 feet and a 2-edge propagation path, you are indeed facing either an attic or roof installation. There's also a PBS and a low-power station on UHF in the same direction. If you're interested only in KMVT, then a Winegard YA-1713 or an AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 would suffice. Angling for the UHFs in addition would require getting an AntennaCraft HBU-33 or Winegard 7696P instead. You might need a pre-amp to compensate for losses in the coax cable from antenna to TV that would cause drop-outs, but you could try without one first.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2010, 2:45 PM   #4
chayward

Thanks for the responses!

I ordered a Winegard YA 1713 and am going to try that out.
chayward is offline   Reply With Quote