TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Oct-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
whatistv

antenna recommendation

Callsign Chan Network Dist(mi) Path NM (dB)
WMFD-DT 12 (68.1) Ind 10.4 2Edge 35.6
WOSU-TV 38 (34.1) PBS 35.3 2Edge 27.1
WBNS-DT 21 (10.1) CBS 49.3 2Edge 13.0
WCMH-DT 14 (4.1) NBC 49.3 2Edge 12.9
WTTE-DT 36 (28.1) Fox 51.5 2Edge 6.8
WSYX 48 (6.1) ABC 51.5 2Edge 5.8

all stations come to us from the same metropolis.

We previously lived 10 miles closer than we do now and had pretty good reception with the HBU22 without a preamp. Sometimes we lost 4 and 6 though.

Looking at putting up a HD7697P. We are most interested in ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS. Thank you for your time and we appreciate the resource.
whatistv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
timgr

Hi - you need to post a TV Fool reception report - http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
whatistv

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243ff41bc3e2c

here is the actual report.
Old 11-Oct-2014, 1:06 PM   #4
whatistv

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 11-Oct-2014, 2:44 PM   #5
timgr

15 ft is pretty low. Would your antenna really be that low? That's like the roof peak on a very shallow pitch roof. Higher would be better, above the roof. What are the surroundings like? Surrounded by trees?

You have a lot of channels to choose from. You could approach this a couple of ways. One would be to buy an antenna, put it on the roof and see which direction(s) give you the best mix of channels. Or you could look at the channel list and decide what list of channels is essential to you.

Most of the channels on your list are UHF, 14-51, and could be received by a UHF-only antenna like the DB8e. The DB8e is more sensitive than the HD7697P, and you can aim each panel in a different direction. If you want WMFD too, it's strong enough that you should be able to pick it up with the VHF dipole kit on the DB8e. Aim one panel at WOSU and the other at WMFD and put the dipole on that panel. You may miss 28, 45 and 22 which are pretty far off axis to WOSU and WMFD. Not sure that you can reliably pick up all of the strong channels in your area with a single antenna ... you'll just have to try it, and find the mix of channels that pleases you. Or add a second antenna for the off-axis channels, and multiplex with an A/B switch or a tuner/HTPC combo.

Last edited by timgr; 11-Oct-2014 at 2:48 PM.
Old 11-Oct-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
whatistv

Thank you for your input. I now see that I was focusing on the Virtual stations and not the actual broadcast station! So I really don't need a VHF antenna...woot.

Being that all the stations I want are in columbus ohio and broadcast at a very similar location 45 miles away, what do you think about a Yagi style antenna like the HDB91x?

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=700112818387
Old 12-Oct-2014, 6:05 PM   #7
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatistv View Post
Thank you for your input. I now see that I was focusing on the Virtual stations and not the actual broadcast station! So I really don't need a VHF antenna...woot.

Being that all the stations I want are in columbus ohio and broadcast at a very similar location 45 miles away, what do you think about a Yagi style antenna like the HDB91x?

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=700112818387
You need VHF for WMFD 12, which was on your original list. UHF is 14-51.

Can't help you wrt that antenna. Maybe someone from the industry has experience with it. Mostly Antennas Direct or AntennaCraft products get recommended around here, I would presume both for build quality and reception effectiveness.
Old 13-Oct-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
whatistv

thank you! i am going to order the Antennas Direct 91XG UHF TV Antenna based on your build quality recommendation! I am not worried about WMFD.

I'll post back when it's done and hopefully with a picture and my channel results.

Def. have to ground it.
Old 16-Oct-2014, 12:30 AM   #9
whatistv

Well I halfway mounted the Antennas Direct 91XG UHF TV Antenna (which i purchased open box for $44!). It gets all the columbus, oh stations that I wanted 4, 6, 10, 28, 34. It also picks up the nearby VHF station. This is just a coincidence as it is position pretty much exactly 180 degrees from the other stations. My antenna is on a low roof pointing through our second story! I'll try to get up a picture to see. Real impressed with the ability to grab the signal through out house and nearby trees.

Next goal is to come up with more permanent mount and try the splitter in the basement to see about other rooms in the house.

Thanks for all the help from the TV Fools!
Old 16-Oct-2014, 2:28 PM   #10
whatistv

[IMG][/IMG]

The antenna is in the top left corner and is pointing through the house...
It's roughly 20 feet above ground.

Last edited by whatistv; 16-Oct-2014 at 2:29 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 16-Oct-2014, 3:45 PM   #11
timgr

I would put an eave mount on the upper gable.

http://www.antennapartsoutlet.com/Pa...ages/EZ31.html

Glad your installation works like that!

Last edited by timgr; 16-Oct-2014 at 3:47 PM.
Old 16-Oct-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
whatistv

I do really like the looks of the eave gable mount!

I do intend to mount the antenna permanently as such or at least with a few feet of mast, anticipating a bit of signal loss when the leaves come back in this spring.

Thanks for the idea.