TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jan-2012, 2:27 PM   #1
awesminc

Not sure which Antenna I should get

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb907446b5e31

I'm not sure which Antenna or what type of setup I should get to get the best reception for channels in my area. We currently have two sets of rabbit ear style antenna's that I got at best buy on sale for about 10 bucks each (one for the upstairs TV and one on the main floor).

I do get a few channels with each but the reception is spotty and cuts out quite a bit. Neither can get NBC locally. The upstairs antenna seems marginally better than the downstairs antenna.

The house in question is a 1 3/4 story, so attic space is limited to the angled roof portion of the second floor.

I would love to get as many channels as I can without extreme measures and setting up multiple antenna's. I will have a rooftop antenna installed if this is the best solution but I would love to get a good recommendation as a lot of the ones I've searched online are rated fantastic on the site selling them then garbage everywhere else.

There are some large trees in the area but most are to the direct east of the house. There are also some larger buildings to the north but these are a few miles away and the terrain in general slopes toward the Detroit river.

Thanks for any help.
awesminc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2012, 7:27 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

Looking at the radar plot of your report, you can see that the bulk of your stations come from generally the northwest sector. Additionally, since most of the lines are long, that means the signals are strong. Looking at the table in your report confirms the stengths - most have at least 50 dB to spare, which is a lot! The best antennas can only provide 18 dB of gain.

What you need is a low-gain VHF-hi/UHF antenna that's sensitive over a wide range of angles. A candidates is the RCA-ANT751. Others here might have some other suggestions. You could mount it on the side of your house that faces the right direction (your prediction was run for 10 feet off the ground.)

One thing you won't need is an amplifier of any sort, even if you split the signals to feed both TVs.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2012, 9:42 PM   #3
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesminc View Post
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb907446b5e31

.... We currently have two sets of rabbit ear style antenna's that I got at best buy on sale for about 10 bucks each (one for the upstairs TV and one on the main floor).

Rabbit ears are VHF-only. With rabbit ears, you should expect to receive FOX-WJBK, CBC-CBET, and Daystar-WUDT. You need a UHF loop or another type of UHF antenna to receive most of your Detroit/Windsor stations. A standard non-amplified VHF/UHF set top antenna should receive all of your channels.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Any way , 99.9 percent of rabbit ears antennas also have a loop UHF antenna or another type of UHF antenna , examples , Terk HDTVi , and Channel Master model 4010 . The tv transmissions are VERY STRONG at your location , DO NOT use any type or kind of amplified indoor antenna , the amplifier Will Overload and be the cause of bad or no reception. Aim the indoor antenna at 346 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim indoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Last edited by Electron; 7-Jan-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Electron

Buildings that are constructed of wood with wood or plastic siding are the best for tv reception with a indoor antenna. Buildings that have metal siding of any type or kind such as but not limited to , metal siding or stucko with stucko Wire.will reduce or block tv signals. Concrete buildings will reduce or block tv signals. Concrete block buildings will reduce or block tv signals. Brick buildings with bricks from ground to roof will reduce or block tv signals. Buildings with rock in or on the walls will reduce or block tv signals. Buildings with metal roofs will reduce or block tv signals. Buildings with solar panels will reduce or block tv signals.
Old 7-Jan-2012, 2:09 AM   #6
Electron

A simple ANT751 antenna installed above the roof aimed at 346 degree magnetic compass will receive Many tv stations.
Old 7-Jan-2012, 6:01 PM   #7
awesminc

MisterMe - Sorry the Rabbit ears do have a loop on them, I should have mentoined it. I haven't used an antenna in probably close to 15 or more years for TV, it never occured to me that the loop was for the different band.

Electron & Dave - Thank you for the recommendation. I am going to order one of those antenna's on Monday and find someone who can install it on the roof for me.

My house is stucco on the outside with metal mesh (I've had to drill through it, big pain), and most of my windows face opposite the directional lines for the transmitters.

One adittional question if I can. My neighbor had someone come out on Friday and install an antenna that looks much bigger than the one you recommend, and it has a motor to move it if necessary. The install and antenna cost him almost $700 and I would like to avoid paying that. The price of the ANT751 is very reasonable, but will I need something to move it?

Thanks
Old 7-Jan-2012, 9:15 PM   #8
awesminc

Yes sorry, my rabbit ears have a loop on them. Should have mentioned that. My house is also stucco exterior with wire mesh (I've had to drill into it and it is a pain).

On the roof I can get elevation of about 25'. Is this antenna setup going to be ok without a rotor. A neighbour across the street just had someone come to his house and they installed an antenna that looks much bigger than the one here (although I am sure this one is sufficient) but it will also rotate. I don't know if I should consider that or is that just overkill?

Thanks again for the recommendations, my neighbour paid almost 700 for the install and if I don't need a rotor and can get good signal with a $60 antenna as listed (with shipping) that would be awesome.
Old 7-Jan-2012, 9:44 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

If you and your neighbor are on good terms, you may want to ask them if they use the rotator. For example, sports fans often enjoy receiving 'out-of-market' games by using a large, high-gain antenna and rotator system. If your neighbor is seeing distant signals that you would also want, you'll likely need to use a similar antenna and rotator system.

Otherwise, the less expensive ANT-751, roof mounted, will be plenty for receiving the strong local signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote