TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Jan-2016, 11:28 PM   #21
hkinkade

OK I made some progress today. I purchased a Mohu Sky 60 antenna. Place it on the roof and aimed it towards the UHF stations - nothing, then towards the VHF stations - nothing. Yes, I did use their ampliefer at the tv location (usb). Then I put back the Zenith without the power supply in line - nothing. Then added the power supply back in and got 19 digital channels, all UHF no VHF. Tried pointing it towards the VHF lines - no luck.

I brought the Mohu in house with the 30 ft coax connected directly to the amp to the TV. I started to get channels, including the VHF channels I was seeking! Then moved it to the garage and got all the channels I wanted, there were a few channels that the zenith on the roof got that the garage setup didn't. Ok, I'm making progress.

I then disconnected the antenna and 30 ft coax from the TV and moved it out to the telecommunication panel in the garage. The tv coax goes from the tv / amp connection to the panel in the garage via a wall and attic run, about 90 ish feet of coax. So now I have the 30 ft coax run connected to the telecommunication panel in the garage and the other end is connected to the antenna. The antenna can now reach the driveway. Actually I lost a couple channels with this setup (including KPBS). I'm not certain if it is because of the added coax cable length or the antenna position in the driveway was actually worse than the location in the garage.

I'm contemplating other options. I'm guessing I'm loosing too much signal with the roof location due to the added coax length. Maybe I could mount an antenna on the roof and hookup a preamp and add power supply in telecommunication panel (use the power supply with a preamp, there's a thought ;-) Could I do this with the Mohu, I suspect not, since it appears to have a preamp already installed and the usb power supply. Is there another antenna combination that might accept a preamp on the roof. I bought a RCA Digital Signal Amplifier anticipating the need for one.

Maybe I go back to the Clearstream 2V. But will I be able to pickup the VHF and UHF from the two different directions?

Anyone have any suggestions. I don't want to continue to work the garage solution, I'd rather use the location on the roof.
hkinkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2016, 12:19 AM   #22
hkinkade

I'm wondering if the Zenith ZHDTV1 HDTV-UHF has a Balun installed internally. I'm guessing not. Could that be the issue I'm having with the zenith when the power supply is disconnected. Maybe the power supply is helping correct an unbalance problem???? I'm just guessing.
hkinkade is offline   Reply With Quote